TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,391  
Does anyone have any recommendations for an AR-10 trigger? The rest of my gun has been modified from the original Armalite SPR configuration, but I don't think I've ever done anything with the trigger. It's possible I changed it for a RRA NM trigger, but I don't remember. Anyway, I'm not impressed with it and I'm looking for something better. I'm also confused about the single vs. 2-stage. I know the difference between them, but not the practical reason to choose one over the other. I'm leaning towards a single stage, but I need some weigh-in from someone more knowledgeable than me on the subject.
I've got no issues with the RISE triggers.

They are not costly

A little light with gloves, but there are settings

Little cost, so you can't go far wrong.

I've got the triggers on three... "standardize the feel" ;-)

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,392  
looking int a LPVO for a .308.

Suggestions?

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,393  
looking int a LPVO for a .308.

Suggestions?
I think the default answer would be a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6 for around $400. The Crossfire II 1-4 is a lot cheaper, and I've heard good things about "Swamp Fox Optics" and the new series of Bushnell. With the Bushnell, you can get a 1-8 for $365; so more scope for less money then Vortex, but go down to a 3 year warranty (I think) that (I know first hand) they will try to weasel out of doing anything.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,394  
I've got no issues with the RISE triggers.

They are not costly

A little light with gloves, but there are settings

Little cost, so you can't go far wrong.

I've got the triggers on three... "standardize the feel" ;-)
Our definition of costly must be different :oops:

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,395  
My Rise trigger was ~$120. It works better without adjustment than any AR trigger that I've polished or changed springs in. It sure was less work. As for tweaking Mil-spec parts if you adjust all the creep out the safety won't work, so check both if you go that way. Adjusted for safety function there will be a little bit of creep before the trigger breaks. We install/adjust set-screws above the handgrip mounting screw to reduce pre-travel. There's a limit to how far we can go there too. YMMV

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,396  
I just got in a new scope. I needed a higher mag scope for the 308, and didn't want to break the bank. I decided to try a WestHunter 4-16×44 FFP. Had my reservation about it, and didn't like that it only comes in Mil turrets. They where $120ish on Ebay or $140 on Amazon, with 30mm rings. I ordered off Amazon, and figured, I have 30 days to return it, if I don't like it.

Got it mounted up, but didn't have any time to get it sited in.

I want to lay it side by side, at 100 yards on say, 4x, and compare it to the Vortex Vanquish 3-9, and Athlon Argos 3-15; and then say 6x or 9x and add in the Athlon Neos 6-18; just to look at brightness and glass.

View attachment 738584
Between rain, and the difficulty of taking cell phone pics through a scope, I haven't been able to do much this week. I still want to try to set up half a dozen scopes, side by side, for visual quality alone.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,397  
Between rain, and the difficulty of taking cell phone pics through a scope, I haven't been able to do much this week. I still want to try to set up half a dozen scopes, side by side, for visual quality alone.
Do you have any Zeiss Conquest 3-9 x 40 in that testing line up? I always considered them one of the best values in scopes and I own at least 3 of them. Unfortunately, Zeiss discontinued them. I believe they were actually made by Meopta, but the quality of the glass differed from the Meopta sibling.

Another scope that really shined were some of the Nikon models, again a great value, but discontinued. I have a Nikon African 1-4 x 20 that swaps duties between a .375 H&H and a .300 blackout. I also have a Nikon Rimfire 2 on a 10/22. The clarity of the Nikon scopes is surprising.

What scopes are you planning on comparing? Are you doing it for your own benefit, or do you have a blog?

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,399  
There was a short break in the rain, enough to pull everything out, just as it started to rain again...

I have a
Vortex Vanquish 3-9×40 (moa)
Athlon Argos 3-15×40 or 44? (moa)
Athlon Neos 6-18×40 (moa)
Nikon 4-12×40 (moa)
Simmons 3-9×40 (30mm tube) (mil)
Westhunter 4-16×44 (30mm tube, only FFP) (mil)
CVlife 3-9×32
Bushnell Banner 3-9×32
NcStar fixed 4x
Truglo fixed 3x crossbow scope
and I think a couple other unlabeled scopes that came on guns

Gonna try to 3d print a scope to phone adapter, and see if that let's me get some pictures. I will say just casually looking through them, the Vortex seems the brightest. I like the zoom range the most in the Athlon Argos, but I can't say I was wow'd by the imagine. It's fine, but not special.

Not sure I like the FFP reticle being So fine on 4x; but we will see.

Last edited:
   / TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,400  
I do see Academy Sports has a Vortex Eagle (not strike eagle or Golden eagle; seems only offered at Academy) 4-16×44 SF for like $299; and then a $150 rebate.

When I got the email, I considered returning the WestHunter, and using the money to buy the Vortex. Zero reviews on Academy, and not even info on tube size.
Screenshot_20220324-221433_Chrome.jpg