TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,751  
Fuudyy,
Those mounts are still available. I saw them listed somewhere recently, when I was looking for rails. You might try Warne and Talley websites, or Brownells and Midway. Places to start anyway.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,752  
Thanks.
I'd love to buy a good one if anyone sees one please let me know I'll buy it.
Today I was thinking J B Weld the broken strip back? No, wouldn't be strong enough. But I figured since a magnet wouldn't stick it must be aluminum and I had some aluminum rods. So I wire wheel cleaned it, heated with propane & used another one until rod melted into it. Then sanded, painted it after using granddad's machinist files he had.
Anyway it mounted good & tight. Mounted gun in vice carefully with a towel & got barrel level & scope was level.
I tried it at 25 yards, about the distance I'd be shooting at paper shown, #1 was high so I adjusted sight lower. #2 I went too far so I backed off 1/2 way and shot #3.
Close enough to the X. I probably should adjust side to the left just a bit...but it's OK for now.
It was a hack job but it works.
20220611_185926.jpg

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,754  
Fuddy,

That strikes a memory in me about a similar mount for a T/C Contender pistol. I can't for the life of me remember the name (I wanna call it a "Bantam", but don't know where that name creeps into the memory from).

I'll see if I can dig one up.

After looking some stuff up, it's not a "Bantam", that was for a youth stock.

It's a "LOBO" mount. Sure I've seen one that looked just about right for what you have. I ditched all those mounts years ago and went with Redfields and Warne's on my boomers, and Weavers on my little guys.

But if you can find a Lobo mount, it may be just what you need.

Last edited:
   / TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,756  
I just ordered a Dead Air Mask .22, LGS says they Have been taking about 120days with the new system. Went through Silencer Shop Kiosk, latest Email says my order is queuing up for eForms. My last one under the old system took about 7 months, which wasn’t too bad compared to other people’s wait times.

Mike

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,757  
Buddies rifle suppressor finally came in after 384 days. Looking forward to seeing how it sounds tomorrow out back.
Silencerco Specwar K 5.56 below (with a little more "wear" on it LOL)

S1.png

New Dead Air Sandman K below

S2.png

I have no clue what the official decibel readings are on either can. My only only point if looking for a rifle suppressor, if you have the chance to actually shoot it and hear it before you buy it, do it.

The Specwar in both our opinions blew the Dead Air can out of the water per noise level, both at the shooters ear and standing off about 20' from the shooter without wearing hearing protection.

Dead Air from a 10.5" AR DI platform rifle, Specwar from a 10.5" piston rifle that accepts AR mags.

On that note, we both agree that the Specwar seemed quieter on a 10.5" barrel (same rifle as above) vs the Sandman K on a 14.5" barrel AR.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,758  
Silencerco Specwar K 5.56 below (with a little more "wear" on it LOL)

View attachment 749906
New Dead Air Sandman K below

View attachment 749907
I have no clue what the official decibel readings are on either can. My only only point if looking for a rifle suppressor, if you have the chance to actually shoot it and hear it before you buy it, do it.

The Specwar in both our opinions blew the Dead Air can out of the water per noise level, both at the shooters ear and standing off about 20' from the shooter without wearing hearing protection.

Dead Air from a 10.5" AR DI platform rifle, Specwar from a 10.5" piston rifle that accepts AR mags.

On that note, we both agree that the Specwar seemed quieter on a 10.5" barrel (same rifle as above) vs the Sandman K on a 14.5" barrel AR.
Tone makes such a huge difference in perceived volume, unfortunately hearing damage only really cares about the actual db level…generally.

But fully concur there are cans that “sound” much quieter and are more pleasant to shoot than “quieter” cans.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,759  
Tone makes such a huge difference in perceived volume, unfortunately hearing damage only really cares about the actual db level…generally.

But fully concur there are cans that “sound” much quieter and are more pleasant to shoot than “quieter” cans.
My hearing was lost about 40 years ago and my buddies was probably shot out about 30 years ago LOL

I made that comment to my buddy today about "tone" when we were doing a "test comparison".

The dead air had a lower tone whereas the silencerco had a higher tone. Thing is, given the "muzzle blast sound effect", the dead air sounded much more louder with the lower tone. I thought I had read that lower tones sound more acceptable to the shooters ears, but this wasn't the case in our "trial run", to both our ears without hearing protection.

Thing is, ANY round that breaks the sound barrier will cause hearing damage even with ANY can on it, no matter how "quiet" it seems. Point being, even a supersonic .22LR will cause hearing damage over time (and perhaps quicker depending on the person).

I've been hankering for a dead air can, but all my QD's won't take them. I mentioned to my buddy it would be nice if they came up with a QD mount that would accept any can no matter who the manufacturer is. He mentioned to some extent they're working on it.

I've got enough cans that I'm no long keeping up with what's coming out;)

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,760  
For the guy looking for a new scope on a 22LR, Cabelas/Bass Pro has their line of scopes on sale till like June 20th. I dont need it, but I might get a 1-8x24 Cabelas Covenant AR SFP for $199. If I do, it would probably live on a lever action 22
View attachment 749916