TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,921  
As have I-been waitlisted for one at Sportsmen’s for months-not going to pay a huge premium just to get my hands on one-I’ll wait until Ruger gets up to full production and shipping.

Sure is a pretty rifle and getting great reviews
Somehow I doubt they'll ever be "full production" on these guys, they'll try to keep the demand up and the price high because these are very labor intensive rifles to build.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,922  
Couple weeks ago, I loaded up a mid range load of IMR4895 and 150gr Hornady Interloks, in 308, 43.5grs. Got 1.607" at 100 yards. Normally, I would be slightly annoyed, or atleast not too happy, but being that I bought this bullet for no other reason then white tail deer, at max of 150 yards, and it pretty much the cheapest 308 bullet out there, I am pretty happy. I only have 100 projectiles, so my plan is to try a few more loads, and see what happens, then load up the last 50 projectiles with the best shooting, mid to upper velocity (book velocity, no chrono), and call it good.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,923  
Couple weeks ago, I loaded up a mid range load of IMR4895 and 150gr Hornady Interloks, in 308, 43.5grs. Got 1.607" at 100 yards. Normally, I would be slightly annoyed, or atleast not too happy, but being that I bought this bullet for no other reason then white tail deer, at max of 150 yards, and it pretty much the cheapest 308 bullet out there, I am pretty happy. I only have 100 projectiles, so my plan is to try a few more loads, and see what happens, then load up the last 50 projectiles with the best shooting, mid to upper velocity (book velocity, no chrono), and call it good.
1.6 isn’t too horrible, probably better than 80% of the off the shelf hunting ammo. When I use lighter bullets my .308s prefer them really hot, my VMAX load is max charge with the fastest powder so make sure you play around on the high end and see how they do.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,924  
Got a question for reloaders, not for me, more for a friend who wants to get started; If you wanted to primarily reload 223/40s&w AND 50 BMG; what press options would you have? I know Redding and maybe a couple others have a 50BMG length press, but the dies are a large (1-1/4"?) diameter; do these presses use a insert that can be removed, to use normal 7/8" dies; or the RCBS rock chucker style, when you remove the 7/8" thread insert, is the main thread set up for the larger dies?

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,925  
Got a question for reloaders, not for me, more for a friend who wants to get started; If you wanted to primarily reload 223/40s&w AND 50 BMG; what press options would you have? I know Redding and maybe a couple others have a 50BMG length press, but the dies are a large (1-1/4"?) diameter; do these presses use a insert that can be removed, to use normal 7/8" dies; or the RCBS rock chucker style, when you remove the 7/8" thread insert, is the main thread set up for the larger dies?
Me?? I would say Lee, I've been using Lee stuff for going on 30 years or so, no problems at all.. and yes they make the 50 BMG stuff as well.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,926  
The big RCBS press has the threaded insert in it. It used to be called the "Ammo Master" but I think they changed the name of the press. I've had mine for decades.

I would get 2 presses, one set up solely for 50 cal, and then a second "small" (regular) press for everything else.

Is this guy a "pew-pew-bang-bang" shooter (as in spraying and praying-seeing how fast he can go through magazines) or is he a grown up?

If he's dumping mass quantities of ammo per range trip, he's not going to be able to feed those (223 and 40) from a single stage press. It's going to take him far longer to MAKE the ammo than to SHOOT the ammo.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,927  
I would get a Dillon 550 for bulk stuff, since the release of the 650 you can get them for a song. I’m not a .50 loader so not much help there but I can’t think of a single press that will go from .40 S&W to 50 BMG.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,928  
I can help him with process, and my personal thoughts on equipment (other then a press that does 50bmg), but I think he would be best with a progressive for normal/small rounds, and a simple single stage on 50bmg. Not judging anyone, but, if I'm pulling the trigger on a 50; I want to be 100% sure I physically saw the powder charge... I dont think there is a press that would pump out the quantity he wants, and extend beyond 300WM length.

If I was to restart today; I would probably have a Lyman turret press, Hornday Dies, Lee powder measure, Lyman multi-chamfer/debur tool, Frankford Arsenal loading trays, and I have yet to use a hand primer I really like... (have the Hornady, and it works, but it likes to flip primers, or seat sideways, unless you really watch it). I dont have a brand loyalty. I use a Hornady LNL single stage, but some times I hate the bushing system.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,930  
Caliber doesn't matter to check out this tidbit. The Company makes some really good stuff if not something everyone.