TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,953  
I would sit down and remove the lead from the shells and then make the primers inert, either by firing them (after powder and shot is removed!!) or adding oil. Somone can use the shot, if you can't. Powder can become fertilizer.
David from jax

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,954  
I would sit down and remove the lead from the shells and then make the primers inert, either by firing them (after powder and shot is removed!!) or adding oil. Somone can use the shot, if you can't. Powder can become fertilizer.
David from jax
Can't the powder be used?

I had a problem with creatures in my yard; I cut the tops off shells, poured out the shot and used the resulting blanks to share off the critters. They have not come back.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,955  
This evening, I ordered a Faxon 16" 300 Blk "Gunner profile" carbine gas barrel. Last week, I picked up a set of Hornady Custom grade 300 blk dies; got 1 pound of SW Blackout, primers, and a couple hundred 160gr/180gr/200gr cast lead powder coated bullets. Just got get brass; or a bunch of 223 brass, and a cut off jig.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,956  
Can anyone tell me the rational behind the "cuts" or contours often seen in M$ barrels.

The thin section back from the muzzle is most puzzling.
examples

My view is muzzle whip would be greater with that reduced section,

But what do I know?

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,957  
This evening, I ordered a Faxon 16" 300 Blk "Gunner profile" carbine gas barrel. Last week, I picked up a set of Hornady Custom grade 300 blk dies; got 1 pound of SW Blackout, primers, and a couple hundred 160gr/180gr/200gr cast lead powder coated bullets. Just got get brass; or a bunch of 223 brass, and a cut off jig.
Think I've got 70 something 300BO laying around somewhere.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,958  
Can anyone tell me the rational behind the "cuts" or contours often seen in M$ barrels.

The thin section back from the muzzle is most puzzling.
examples

My view is muzzle whip would be greater with that reduced section,

But what do I know?
So you may not mean to be but you’re referencing two different things on AR barrels. M4 cuts, and M4 barre profiles.

First the profile, the thinness of the barrel from the muzzle back is so the gas block can slide over the barrel to it’s spot at the gas port. There is a length difference of the “thicker” part of the barrel between the breach and where the gas port sits and are generally pistol, carbine, and rifle lengths (the M4 is carbine length).

Next is M4 cuts or not, these cuts are in the barrel extension that fits in the upper. It’s hard to explain without a picture so here are the differences.
B9C04F68-7E04-471F-A844-90DBE48E9DC4.jpeg

Hope that helps.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,959  
So you may not mean to be but you’re referencing two different things on AR barrels. M4 cuts, and M4 barre profiles.

First the profile, the thinness of the barrel from the muzzle back is so the gas block can slide over the barrel to it’s spot at the gas port. There is a length difference of the “thicker” part of the barrel between the breach and where the gas port sits and are generally pistol, carbine, and rifle lengths (the M4 is carbine length).

Next is M4 cuts or not, these cuts are in the barrel extension that fits in the upper. It’s hard to explain without a picture so here are the differences.

Hope that helps.
I'm not wondering about feed ramps.

That first thin section several inches back from the muzzle has always caused me wonder.

The several barrels I have all have a very slight diameter reduction to allow fitting the front sight block. Not the drastic waist as seen in the sample images.

I can appreciate the weight savings, but it would seem to me to make a flexible barrel. reducing accuracy perhaps.
Perhaps the diameter reduction falls at some harmonic node for "most" ammo loads.