TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,961  
Can anyone tell me the rational behind the "cuts" or contours often seen in M$ barrels.

The thin section back from the muzzle is most puzzling.
examples

My view is muzzle whip would be greater with that reduced section,

But what do I know?
This?

m4barrel.jpg

Bruce

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,963  
Todays gun time for me was just shooting a pocket gopher at about 6:30 this morning... the weather has been dumb for the last week so had to get an early start and saw one half out of it's hole... after I got home from the local tractor show thing/swap meet I braved the heat and mowed with the tractor so I can see the gopher activity and try to make more of a dent, I think there's still 8-9, I've gotten around 8? so far this year...

On the split shotgun shells, myself I would at least salvage the shot, that stuff is expensive now and #6 is my favorite all around size... a case of shells is around 13 pounds of shot...

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,965  
Got some SS tumbled brass drying this morning. SS tumbling is a pain but it sure is pretty.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,966  
Finally got around to putting my 11 1/2" ar upper together. Only had all the parts for about 8 months.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #10,968  
This is from one of my cousins, a single retired woman in a small town.

Well, are you ready for this? Hang on to your shorts. I was trying to get some sleep this morning as I'd been up all night sweaty and in pain. Suddenly the house was rocked by a huge boom. Then another. Soon I received a message from a neighbor telling me that there was an active shooter in the neighborhood (across the street) and to stay in the house, away from the windows. After laying there for a bit I started hearing the "pop pop pop" of a rifle. I received a warning on my phone saying "shelter in place". Then another neighbor called me to tell me that the police had broken down my back fence and were on my deck. Yep, it was the SWAT team. They set up equipment for a sniper. They removed a board from another fence so he'd have clear vision to the house across the street. Suddenly the shooting started up again and I could hear bullets hitting my house. I also heard glass breaking. This went on for what seemed like an eternity. Then we got the all clear that we could leave our homes. I "limped" around the house and found multiple bullet holes in my office, inside doors, bookcase. hallway and guest room! One bullet had broken a vase and there was debris everywhere. The shooter had some high powered equipment and was also throwing explosives!!! I've been interviewed 5 times already and the Major Crimes Unit is outside right now, with floodlights, going through flower beds, looking at every piece of siding, to count bullet holes. If the bullet is still there, they remove it. Then they're coming inside, in about an hour, to search for more bullets. This neighbor is going to have a lot of charges filed against him. He needs help, he really does. Anyway, this was the cherry on the crapfest sundae! I'm hotter than h-e-double toothpicks, my back has never hurt like this before, and my house has holes on it!! Okay, July, you can go away now.