TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,001  
Pulled out my reloading notebook:

Load 1: Sierra 150 gr bullet, 32.5 grs IMR 3031, Win Lg Rifle primer, Winchester brass. The bullets are seated to 2.890"
The bullets are seated much longer than book over all length (OAL). My barrel has a large jump to the throat. Seating these "long" gave me a big jump in accuracy. Play with your seating depth. The "book length" in the Sierra manual was 2.770". When I set mine out to their current OAL, the difference was night and day. They are sitting .010" off the lands on my barrel.

Load 2: Sierra 125 gr bullet, 39.0 grs W-748, Win Lg Rifle primer, Winchester brass. The bullets are seated to 2.720". Seating them out any further and I felt like I didn't have enough bullet sitting in the case neck. These are hunting rounds, not target range rounds, so they were going to be stuffed into shirt, coat or pants pockets and travel over hill and dale that way. I didn't want bullets getting pulled out of the case necks. Sierra still listed the OAL as 2.770" (at least in my Sierra manual-5th Edition). If these were "range rounds", like some of my target/competitive ammo, I wouldn't have been as concerned.

Load 3: Nosler 150 gr bullet.
I can't find my page from my notebook that has this load on it. Most concerning, as I have no idea why I would have taken it out (3 ring binder). So I won't try to "guess" the load. If I locate it I'll send you the data. I believe it was W-748 on the powder, but it "could have been" IMR-3031. It was one or the other. The bullets were also seated .010" off the lands, which was much longer than "book" length.

Quite a few of my factory T/C barrels came to me with long throats. Seating the bullets "long" has made some terrific improvements. Sometimes, like my 22 Hornet barrel, the improvement was stunning. But even my 35 Rem barrel improved greatly.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,002  
Pulled out my reloading notebook:

Load 1: Sierra 150 gr bullet, 32.5 grs IMR 3031, Win Lg Rifle primer, Winchester brass. The bullets are seated to 2.890"
The bullets are seated much longer than book over all length (OAL). My barrel has a large jump to the throat. Seating these "long" gave me a big jump in accuracy. Play with your seating depth. The "book length" in the Sierra manual was 2.770". When I set mine out to their current OAL, the difference was night and day. They are sitting .010" off the lands on my barrel.

Load 2: Sierra 125 gr bullet, 39.0 grs W-748, Win Lg Rifle primer, Winchester brass. The bullets are seated to 2.720". Seating them out any further and I felt like I didn't have enough bullet sitting in the case neck. These are hunting rounds, not target range rounds, so they were going to be stuffed into shirt, coat or pants pockets and travel over hill and dale that way. I didn't want bullets getting pulled out of the case necks. Sierra still listed the OAL as 2.770" (at least in my Sierra manual-5th Edition). If these were "range rounds", like some of my target/competitive ammo, I wouldn't have been as concerned.

Load 3: Nosler 150 gr bullet.
I can't find my page from my notebook that has this load on it. Most concerning, as I have no idea why I would have taken it out (3 ring binder). So I won't try to "guess" the load. If I locate it I'll send you the data. I believe it was W-748 on the powder, but it "could have been" IMR-3031. It was one or the other. The bullets were also seated .010" off the lands, which was much longer than "book" length.

Quite a few of my factory T/C barrels came to me with long throats. Seating the bullets "long" has made some terrific improvements. Sometimes, like my 22 Hornet barrel, the improvement was stunning. But even my 35 Rem barrel improved greatly.
Thanks, I'll jot this down and take it out to my armory. I dont have much in the way of Sierra bullets, but I'll look. Pretty sure I have the W-748, not sure about the IMR- 3031, again I'll have to look. primers and cases I'm good with.
TC was (is) notorious for the long throats , my 14 incher is a TC factory, my 18" carbine barrel is an MGM custom I ordered from them years ago. I can smoke a couple cartridges and check the throat in that 14 and see where its at.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,003  
Cast some ingots today from various wheel weights. Got a lot of goo on top when the pot got low even though I fluxed with wax and wood chips about 5 times. What .38 mold y'all recommend?
IMG_20220806_111241834_HDR.jpg

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,005  
how about posting your gun time activities.
I live in a state where the governor just signed an unconstitutional law into being
If you moved here with your firearms as I did and never bothered to get a purchaser card. (they only issue one per hand gun) you no longer are allowed to purchase or recieve hand gun ammo.

I don't know what that means The statute is pretty specific ammunition that is "manufactured ONLY for handguns"
But I rather suspect the courts will interpret that as "ammo that just happens to fit handguns."
So you need a FID purchaser card, the state will track and keep a database of all ammo you buy and you go to prison for 18 months if you fail to cooperate.

YAAAYYYY FREEDOM~!!!!
Take that criminals~!!! Now the bad guys won't be able to get ammo for the guns they acquired illegally.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,006  
I live in a state where the governor just signed an unconstitutional law into being
If you moved here with your firearms as I did and never bothered to get a purchaser card. (they only issue one per hand gun) you no longer are allowed to purchase or recieve hand gun ammo.

I don't know what that means The statute is pretty specific ammunition that is "manufactured ONLY for handguns"
But I rather suspect the courts will interpret that as "ammo that just happens to fit handguns."
So you need a FID purchaser card, the state will track and keep a database of all ammo you buy and you go to prison for 18 months if you fail to cooperate.

YAAAYYYY FREEDOM~!!!!
Take that criminals~!!! Now the bad guys won't be able to get ammo for the guns they acquired illegally.
THAT is why I wont reside (wouldn't consider it living) in a blue state!!

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,008  
Beware of zinc wheel-weights. Any zinc in the pot will raise the surface tension of the pour and bullert molds won't fill out properly. I mention this because the ingots shown above look like they include zinc because of the surface look. Scrap the batch if so. Real lead may indent with a fingernail. Weights that don't shouldn't go into the lead pot. They've been made of zinc for years.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,010  
Sorry to suggest. We cast from traditional molds at 18-22 Brinell and have favorite lube. Apologies for merely testing vs inventing.

So easy anyone can cast zinc/alloys? And a lot of folks do?

IMO it depends on your molds and your goals. Just to prove ya can do it?

btw, Bruce, did you have a favorite among those links. Let us know if you try one and which. ;)