TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,731  
Couple months ago I picked up some Aguila, 9 mm, 124 grain jacketed, hollow points from academy sports.

I was getting ready to do some drills with a Springfield Armory Hellcat but when I attempted to rack the slide I couldn’t rack it.

A lot of thoughts were going through my mind but the short story is I bought a bad bunch of ammo. Thirty of one hundred rounds would not fit in the cartridge gage. If any of y’all shoot Aguila check out the lot number in the picture.

IMG_7218.JPG

IMG_7220.JPG

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,732  
Couple months ago I picked up some Aguila, 9 mm, 124 grain jacketed, hollow points from academy sports.

I was getting ready to do some drills with a Springfield Armory Hellcat but when I attempted to rack the slide I couldn’t rack it.

A lot of thoughts were going through my mind but the short story is I bought a bad bunch of ammo. Thirty of one hundred rounds would not fit in the cartridge gage. If any of y’all shoot Aguila check out the lot number in the picture.

View attachment 783271

View attachment 783272
Don't know if you reload; but if you run those through a Lee Factory Crimp die; with the crimp setting all the way loosened; the carbide sizing ring "should" smooth that out. It's not really ment for sizing; it mostly just irons out the mouth flare.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,733  
Don't know if you reload; but if you run those through a Lee Factory Crimp die; with the crimp setting all the way loosened; the carbide sizing ring "should" smooth that out. It's not really ment for sizing; it mostly just irons out the mouth flare.

Thanks for that suggestion. As it happens I do reload although I’m just a novice. I do not have a 9 mm Lee factory crimp die but I just purchased some Hornady dies for 9 mm and as it turns out 25 of the 30 had inadequate crimp and the other five I ran about 2/3 up into the Sizer and now all is good.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,734  
Really liking that Sig P365XL I picked up with the Holosun 507K-G dot sight.

Kind of like carrying a Bersa .380 on your hip size wise, and loving the green dot the more and more I shoot with it (like the circle with dot in the middle myself).

Funny, the dot sight has multiple settings per type of dot and how long the sight will stay on before shutting off with no activity. Have it set that with no activity within 10 minutes, it will automatically shut off, but every-time I went into the safe, the sight was on (I set up the gun in the safe where I could look through the sight without touching it). Thought I didn't set it up correctly until I sat the gun on top of the safe. When I'd come up to it, look, light in the sight off, but all I have to do is tap the safe with the gun sitting on it, and the sight would come on.

Apparently every-time I was opening the safe, it was turning the sight on (lighter lb safe in the office).

Just wanted to make certain it was set up correctly as I didn't want to burn the battery when it's not being carried.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,735  
Really liking that Sig P365XL I picked up with the Holosun 507K-G dot sight.

Kind of like carrying a Bersa .380 on your hip size wise, and loving the green dot the more and more I shoot with it (like the circle with dot in the middle myself).

Funny, the dot sight has multiple settings per type of dot and how long the sight will stay on before shutting off with no activity. Have it set that with no activity within 10 minutes, it will automatically shut off, but every-time I went into the safe, the sight was on (I set up the gun in the safe where I could look through the sight without touching it). Thought I didn't set it up correctly until I sat the gun on top of the safe. When I'd come up to it, look, light in the sight off, but all I have to do is tap the safe with the gun sitting on it, and the sight would come on.

Apparently every-time I was opening the safe, it was turning the sight on (lighter lb safe in the office).

Just wanted to make certain it was set up correctly as I didn't want to burn the battery when it's not being carried.
On a carry gun, the motion activated sights will be on all the time. Look at the battery life in the constant on condition. Most of the decent ones are 50k hours. Replace battery every 5 years to be safe.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,736  
On a carry gun, the motion activated sights will be on all the time. Look at the battery life in the constant on condition. Most of the decent ones are 50k hours. Replace battery every 5 years to be safe.
What I should have said is in my warped own mind that if the motion detection is on with "auto shutoff" (on the dot), I would think it would save some battery life. Shows a 50,000 hour lifespan with dot at a brightness setting at "6" (10 brightness settings) BUT when running the circle with the dot, it cuts the run time down to 10,000 hours. I've found I like to keep the brightness setting around "7" or "8" depending on how bright it is outside.

Because it will by my primary carry, most likely will change the battery each year (CR1632 battery). One thing I liked about this sight after looking at it is it does not need to be removed from the slide to replace the battery.

Everything I bought was "used" from a LEO I shoot with (boxes, registration forms, instructions) as the gun was too small for him (still prefers his G19). He used the circle and dot, and I find I like that setting as well myself.

I was with him on the guns first outing and I didn't want to shoot it because I didn't want to spend the money on something, as I don't need another carry gun, but again, with my eyes, just getting to that point. Also getting to that point where I'll be selling some handguns off as I don't need them all.

Will say, have a Holosun for a AR and really like it compared to my Trijicon and Aimpoint, and the price point can't be beat along with warranty.

The 507KK-GR X2 apparently was designed for smaller carry sidearms. New, you can generally find them for around $319. So far only 250 rounds through the gun without a hiccup on my end, and my buddy only put 150 rounds through the gun no problem (generally I like to push 1k of ammo through a gun before I carry it).

Point is if your looking for a "red dot" for a handgun (this one is a green dot), for the price point, I would look at it as I've been impressed with it so far.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,737  
I've only had one experience with a red dot or holographic, but it ultimately wasn't going to work for my needs. I'm not sure I'd want one on an EDC pistol, but for range shooting, it would be fun.

A neighbor gave me a $500 Cabelas gift certificate for burying his horse. I decided to splurge and buy an Eotech EXPS3 holographic sight for my new POF Renegade AR-15, with the thoughts of using it for coyotes. Very well made and versatile sighting system, but I ultimately sent it back. I can see where they would be really good for fast target acquisition at medium ranges, but ultimately, they're akin to iron sights as far as range goes. I'd feel comfortable reliably shooting out to 100 yards, but after that, I'd feel limited.

I ultimately decided to wait (backordered) for my Trijicon Credo HX 1-6 x 24 scope w/.223 holds, that I originally bought for the same gun. On the 1x power and illuminated dot, I'd have the same benefit of the holographic, but the extra magnification is there if I need it.

That Eotech was built like a tank though!

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,739  
I've only had one experience with a red dot or holographic, but it ultimately wasn't going to work for my needs. I'm not sure I'd want one on an EDC pistol, but for range shooting, it would be fun.
Generally, any type of red dot really isn't for 4 legged critters unless you're staying within 100 yards IMO (know lots of guys that love them on lever actions).

For quick acquisition, hard to beat a red dot from 7-50 yards IMO, particularly depending on your eyesight.

No different IMO on a primary carry gun with night sights and having no light on the weapon or your person when gun is drawn.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #11,740  
Generally, any type of red dot really isn't for 4 legged critters unless you're staying within 100 yards IMO (know lots of guys that love them on lever actions).

For quick acquisition, hard to beat a red dot from 7-50 yards IMO, particularly depending on your eyesight.

No different IMO on a primary carry gun with night sights and having no light on the weapon or your person when gun is drawn.
I was getting pretty involved in RDS pistols and got away from them. I had a failure in an RMR that was basically catastrophic but you couldn't tell while shooting other than your rounds were going everywhere. Also had significant fogging issues going from indoors to outdoors in the GA summer, can't even use backup irons because you can't see through the viewing window. Great for comps and I still have one set up for EDC I carry to a place I go often which has relatively dark lighting and backgrounds (no it's not a bar) but other than that I've gone back to all irons for EDC, the risk is not worth the speed IMHO.