Today's horse race under frost of -22F

/ Today's horse race under frost of -22F #1  

ArtMech

Platinum Member
Tractor
Present: 2003 Kubota M9000 DTF; 2001 Kubota GB15. Sold: 1985 Kubota L2202
There is a tradition in a small village of Dusetos to organize the horse race in winter. From unknown ages to some years ago the race took place on the ice of a lake. But right after the racecourse was built there, they started to organize it on the solid ground surface. Unusual of today's race is that it's -30C (-22F) air temperature. Means much lower than normal.
I invite the TBN'ers to have some fun looking at the pictures of the mentioned race to feel the atmosphere around there. :)

Baig?si speigo nepab?gusios Sart? lenktyn?s

/ Today's horse race under frost of -22F #2  
Looks more like the Iditarod than a horse race, or racing reindeer/caribou with the laplanders. :D

/ Today's horse race under frost of -22F
Looks more like the Iditarod than a horse race, or racing reindeer/caribou with the laplanders. :D

Yeah :laughing::laughing:
It's a campaign now in a country not to sit at home looking at the inside and outside temperature gauges with a horror, but to get outdoors on skiing, skating or somewhere else.
We have now a stable anticyclone which came from Asia and covers a large territory of Eastern and Central Europe. Tens of people die because of cold. That is the reason why folks here are inspiring themselves and others to spend these cold days actively at least within weekends.
We with my wife couldn't go to the horse race, although we were dreaming about it (we didn't obtain super warm clothes). But we went today to the local ice hockey team competition instead.

/ Today's horse race under frost of -22F #4  
Thanks for posting. I enjoyed watching the video.

Thanks for posting. I enjoyed watching the video.

The video was added later by media.
If I'd be there I would take some pictures myself and post them in the TBN. Unfortunately ... :mur:

It was announced two deadly frozen people today, 13 frosted their limbs... Yesterday three deaths. Fri-Sun 150 houses catched fire. Reason: most of the houses were built within Soviet times and they (chimneys) do not accord to the today's fire requirements. But people need to stoke intensive fire in rural areas to survive. Most of them are using firewood. Medics and firefighters have lots of work.

Total number of victims of frost in Europe is approaching 300.

We're waiting for stronger wind although the temperature will still keep low at the similar rate.

Attachments

• All rights belong to ゥ DELFI.ee.jpg
    All rights belong to ゥ DELFI.ee.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 132
   / Today's horse race under frost of -22F #6  
What a remarkable video. The guy with bagels around his neck is pretty good.
How big of a villiage is this? How many people live there?

What a remarkable video. The guy with bagels around his neck is pretty good.
How big of a villiage is this? How many people live there?

According to 2010 data 794 people were living in that village. When the weather conditions are not so aggressive a few thousands of people from the whole country arrive to watch the horse race.

/ Today's horse race under frost of -22F #8  
saracenas--Is this near a larger city? They sure know how to have a good time. I have "partied" at 20 below F and it isn't easy--the guy wearing bagels has the right idea.
Your profile shows you have a Kubota 9000--are there a lot of Kubotas there? What are the other brands you see?
Regarding posting pictures--it is remarkably easy after you do the first one. Guys helped me when I started and we can help you too.

saracenas--Is this near a larger city? They sure know how to have a good time. I have "partied" at 20 below F and it isn't easy--the guy wearing bagels has the right idea.
Your profile shows you have a Kubota 9000--are there a lot of Kubotas there? What are the other brands you see?
Regarding posting pictures--it is remarkably easy after you do the first one. Guys helped me when I started and we can help you too.

Dusetos village is about 45-50 km from the bigger city Utena with about 32,500 population. But the traditional horse race of Dusetos has a State interest. People arrive from the whole country to watch the race and to have some fun. There is no link to Utena, except Utena has its own racecourse and its stud farm in terms of main horse race competitor to Dusetos.

In each event like that it's been organized the folk markets at the open air. You can buy traditional sundry including something eatable. But you told you know ... at -22F you must do everything you can to intrigue customer if you want to sell whatever it is. :)

I have a Kubota, 'cause I like that brand name. Most of Kubotas sold here are of gray market mini and compact tractors imported from Japan. But the infrastructure is quite well developed (I mean sales/aftersales) as many small farmers are purchasing them. It is about 3000 such tractors sold here. My first tractor was L2202 also bought from that system and it was excellent machine. I sold it last year with 770 hours on it and fortunately my customer is still very happy. We became even friends because of that sales.

You can purchase many Chinese brand name new tractors here (I could do that, but I decided better to put a trigger on a grey market Kubota L2202 with similar price) and Russian as well as Belorussian ones. Thats all about cheaper range tractors for smaller farmers.

All today's Western brand name tractors are represented in a country too. Most preferable by the large farm owners (who own more than 1000 ha farms) are Valtra, MF, JD, Class, IH Case, New Holland, McCormick tractors, combines and attachments. Kubota is represented by the local dealer as well, but they sell more mini and compact new tractors to the municipalities. Just probably up to 20 M series new Kubotas are sold here all along to the farmers. Dealer told my M9000 is the only one tractor of this type in a country. But I'm glad to say, the dealer works perfectly with me (I mean spare parts orders) although a tractor is pre-owned and was imported from the USA.

No problem with picture posting. I know how to do it. I've mentioned that, because I didn't attend a horse race so I couldn't take pictures myself there. That's why I simply had nothing to post. Sorry for misunderstanding. :)

/ Today's horse race under frost of -22F #10  
Thanks for posting. I have heard reports of the extreme winter weather and the number of deaths. Sincerely hope that the situation improves.