TODAYS SEAT TIME

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
Well were supposed to get rain and up to 3" of snow tomorrow. I will believe it when I see it, However I did get one pasture fertilized with the last of last years stuff and then went on poo patrol. During the winter the horses have free range of the 3 small pastures (about 2 acres total). They seem to poo in various specific spots so was out back dragging the poo piles into windrows and adding it to the compost pile (turned the piles while I was at it). I also use a bunch to fill in the rough spot in the pasture. Was out about 4 hours. I cherish the seat time - all to myself. Each year I do it and I am finally getting it pretty smooth. The HOA gets upset if things don't look nice even though horses are allowed by the covenants. Some folks are out daily picking up after there horses. The covenants are specific about maintaining a rural atmosphere so I figure a few poo piles fit right in. Maybe I should raise a cow and really stink up the place.

Needless to say I try and keep up with it. Its part of my spring prep anyway. After this storm is done and if it dissolves the fertilizer, I will move the critters to the back pasture and get the drag harrow out along with fertilizer and some grass seed. Then its hoping we get enough snow in the mountains for our irrigation water. Right now it looks bleak.

If you really want to do that you need a few pigs. Then supplement with a goat or two... and finish the mix up with a young, horny rooster. Contrary to common lore they don't wait until sunrise to start crowing...

TheMadOne

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3560HSTC-LE, formerly L3301
Finished off the small walkway I started awhile ago. The construction steps to my fathers house finally gave up the ghost, after 28 years. Part of the problem is that the deck the steps attach to is built on our wonderful clay, and I had to put several inches of...whatever I could find, usually busted up cinder blocks, to try and keep the steps level over the years. When the steps failed last month we slapped together a set in a hurry, not quite finishing before a snowstorm hit.

With the 3301 and a free hand I scooped out a good bit of the clay muck, replaced it with 3/4 washed for drainage, added some pavers and marble chips. The walkway now sits about 4" or so above the ground and will hopefully both stabilize the steps and keep itself from turning into an ice sheet due to being a depression from foot traffic, which is how things used to be.

I don't put that many hours on my tractor, but when I reach for that key it's almost always to do a job that either wouldn't get done or would have taken twice as long and not been half as well done if I didn't have a tractor.

Slowpoke Slim

Elite Member
Tractor
Husqvarna YTH24V48 riding mower, Branson 3725CH
If you really want to do that you need a few pigs. Then supplement with a goat or two... and finish the mix up with a young, horny rooster. Contrary to common lore they don't wait until sunrise to start crowing...

I was going to say the same thing. You want stink, raise a couple pigs. Neighbors will love you for it.

TheMadOne

Platinum Member
Tractor
Not so much seat time, but today was spring cleaning for the tractor. Pressure washed, scrubbed, rinsed, and spray waxed. Took several hours, but since it lives outside it needed it badly.

Anybody know how to get the black splotches off of the plastic on the throttle/3pt controls?

Thomas

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota B2650HSD w/Frontloader & CC LTX1046 & Craftman T2200 lawn mower.
"Anybody know how to get the black splotches off of the plastic on the throttle/3pt controls? "

I've good luck using diesel on rag,even removing exhaust stain on paint.

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
I started working on a 2 acre patch cut, with hopes to enhance the ruffed grouse hunting opportunities. I will cut all of the poplar, which will end up getting made into OSB; and drop and leave most of the smaller trees leaving only what ash trees are there. This will be the second patch I create; the first was about 8 years ago, and I now need to visit it with a brush saw and thin the saplings.

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, MX5100, L4300, B7800. JD 790
While many of you are pushing snow, I was pulling a hoe today. So my seat time was carryall work in the little Massey and also did a little weed
mowing with my new Kubota F mower. It has a bit of a learning curve as I had to be careful not to wreck my fruit orchard metal fence in turns near the corners. With rear steering, it steers very differently than anything else I have. Mowed fine, forgot my ear protection again, man is that thing noisy. Rear discharge mower, wonder if that is directing deck noise differently.

I have now run that mower at 2600 rpm for awhile and today at 2800 rpm. And forgot to open it up all the way under load, where I won't run it anyway. Am really curious what flat out/ok yes it's governed, rpm is. Diesels sure do spin faster these days...

That's a lot of potatoes. What's the plan for them?

buckeyefarmer

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3940 L5030 MF205-4
A lot of work come fall......

daugen

Super Star Member
Tractor
in between now
That's a lot of potatoes. What's the plan for them?

Once my freezer is full, everything is going to local Food Bank. Have wanted to do this for many years, grow for the needy.
200 pounds in, how many pounds out? We should have a lottery for closest answer, assuming I was going to weigh it all...
if I get 10x returns, that's a ton of potatoes, literally and figuratively!

I would never do anything to this scale if the very nice head of the local Food Bank did not tell me Drew you grow it, we'll eat it, and better...
give us a few days notice, and we'll get volunteers in to help pick the corn and potatoes. That was my green light to have some fun.

Slowpoke Slim

Elite Member
Tractor
Husqvarna YTH24V48 riding mower, Branson 3725CH
Didn't take a pic, but pushed 4" of wet heavy snow this morning early. We're supposed to get another 3" throughout today.

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Once my freezer is full, everything is going to local Food Bank. Have wanted to do this for many years, grow for the needy.
200 pounds in, how many pounds out? We should have a lottery for closest answer, assuming I was going to weigh it all...

I would never do anything to this scale if the very nice head of the local Food Bank did not tell me Drew you grow it, we'll eat it, and better...
give us a few days notice, and we'll get volunteers in to help pick the corn and potatoes. That was my green light to have some fun.

That's a great gesture that should be a lot of fun. We used to do similar.
Some fertilizer and weed control will really up the yield. Lack of it will reduce the yield.

daugen

Super Star Member
Tractor
in between now
That's a great gesture that should be a lot of fun. We used to do similar.
Some fertilizer and weed control will really up the yield. Lack of it will reduce the yield.

10-10-10 being used generously, using the ancient Super A with fertilizer hopper to side dress as I cultivate.
Just finished planting last row, hilled this one first to see if it makes a difference. Potatoes are popping up in several rows.

Sysop

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4035HST purchased 2013 - Husqvarna TS348-D purchased 2019 - Craftsman 42" HST purchased 2003
Hauled some pallets from the barn to hold plastic over my 'new to me' safe until I can get a building made for it. Had to use the loader to assist the rollback once the safe was out on the end of the bed. Seems their truck was only rated for 12,000lbs; same as the safe weighs. My loader was barely enough extra lift to make it happen.

dragoneggs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-25D, Kubota Z122RKW-42

Good on you! :thumbsup:

daugen

Super Star Member
Tractor
in between now
Good on you! :thumbsup:

thanks, last row in today before more rain comes in. Hilled this one first to try something different. Super A enjoyed getting out...
Then I hilled my neighbor's small garden behind his trailer which is no longer liveable so that he could plant something to feed himself and then
returned with the pull behind tiller and pulverized the tops so it was ready to plant. He's in pretty bad shape and I'm trying to get him to focus on the
simple and achievable vs grandiose plans. His income is about $10k a year...

Attachments

• DSCN0948.JPG
    DSCN0948.JPG
    528.7 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0595[1].JPG
    IMG_0595[1].JPG
    6 MB · Views: 83

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
thanks, last row in today before more rain comes in. Hilled this one first to try something different. Super A enjoyed getting out...
Then I hilled my neighbor's small garden behind his trailer which is no longer liveable so that he could plant something to feed himself and then
returned with the pull behind tiller and pulverized the tops so it was ready to plant. He's in pretty bad shape and I'm trying to get him to focus on the
simple and achievable vs grandiose plans. His income is about $10k a year...

Good for you! It's nice to help somebody who is less fortunate, but trying to help himself. :thumbsup:

Molalla1

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra, JD, MF, CAT

I commend you for your efforts to help the needy. :thumbsup:

TheMadOne

Platinum Member
Tractor
Got the hopefully last nor'easter of the year going on. Spent an hour or so after work scraping the hill down to gravel so vehicles could be parked where they belong. This stuff just rolled right up. My hope is that it's all but done and I won't have too much to worry about come morning.

dragoneggs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-25D, Kubota Z122RKW-42
Got the hopefully last nor'easter of the year going on. Spent an hour or so after work scraping the hill down to gravel so vehicles could be parked where they belong. This stuff just rolled right up. My hope is that it's all but done and I won't have too much to worry about come morning.
Funny, a nor easter here is welcome... generally cool, but dry clear air here!

deserteagle71

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 2020 diesel, Kubota M7060HDC12
First sunny day we've had after a week of snow, then rain. I had 3 old Lombardy poplars in my yard that were just about dead so it was time to take them out. Looped a chain around them about 12 -14 feet off the ground, hooked the Kubota to the chain and over they went. Took care of the problem of having a stump in the lawn - now all I have to do is fill in the hole from the root ball.
This one was ~ 60 feet tall so I lifted one end up enough to get the saw under it and cut it into a couple sections before lifting it over the fence and hauling it to the wood pile.
P1110767r.jpg

The root ball I hauled over to the brush pile.
P1110769r.jpg

Hooked the old John Deere to the trailer and loaded all the branches I was trimming off to haul to the brush pile.
P1110771r.jpg

View from the Kubota seat. Sure was nice to have the loader to lift the logs up for easy trimming and cutting.
P1110773r.jpg

Should have enough wood out of these to keep me warm for a week or so next winter!
P1110776r.jpg

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
What beautiful scenery that is. Bet you could see a storm coming for 50 miles.

How does the root ball come out so clean like that just by pulling the tree over and does the desert do that?
What kind of trees are those evergreens to live in such a dry climate? They look like spruces.

deserteagle71

Veteran Member
Tractor
How much land do you have? How far are you from that Mountain?

68 acres. If you are talking about the hills in the bottom photo, those are just foothills about 1,500 feet in height above my location and from this angle you cannot see the mountains rising up to 10,000 feet behind the foothills. My property runs to the base of the foothills, less than half a mile. Here's a shot of my place from across the valley. My little ranch is just visible at the lower right hand corner, the foothills are the lowest of the hills you can see in the shot and the mountains rise up behind them.
IMG_5079r.jpg

deserteagle71

Veteran Member
Tractor
What beautiful scenery that is. Bet you could see a storm coming for 50 miles.

How does the root ball come out so clean like that just by pulling the tree over and does the desert do that?
What kind of trees are those evergreens to live in such a dry climate? They look like spruces.

I wish the root ball came out so clean! Ripping out the root ball that way left a huge hole in the lawn that I was going to have to fill in - but there must have been 500 pounds of dirt caught in the roots so I spent a couple hours with a crowbar and shovel loosening the dirt from the roots and shoveling it back into the hole. Then I used a water hose to wash away the rest of the dirt from between the roots. I'll still need to bring in a bucketful of dirt to fill in the rest of the hole.

The trees are Mountain Juniper, a type of cedar, and native to Nevada. Very drought tolerant - but also very slow growing. I have one I planted as a one-foot tall seedling 16 years ago and now it is about 8' tall. Juniper is what I use for firewood - love the smell of both the wood and the smoke. Mountain juniper is considered a problem in many areas in Nevada because it crowds out other vegetation. Consequently, the Forest Service pays contractors to remove the trees from the range where it is deemed necessary.

And yes, I can see a storm coming for 50 miles. This is the view to the west from my porch, taken at dawn a few days ago. The mountain to the left is Blue Mountain, about 25 miles distant as the crow flies. The snow-capped range on the horizon to the right is the Jackson Mountains and they are ~ 50 air miles away. When a storm is moving in, first the Jacksons disappear and then so does Blue Mountain.
P1110692r.jpg

But 50 miles is not a very long view in Nevada terms. From the top of any of the peaks the view is much further...there is a Sierra Club informational kiosk on a peak not far from me that I climb occasionally and it tells me that one of the peaks I can see from there is ~ 225 air miles away, near the Utah border.

Last edited:

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
I wish the root ball came out so clean! Ripping out the root ball that way left a huge hole in the lawn that I was going to have to fill in - but there must have been 500 pounds of dirt caught in the roots so I spent a couple hours with a crowbar and shovel loosening the dirt from the roots and shoveling it back into the hole. Then I used a water hose to wash away the rest of the dirt from between the roots. I'll still need to bring in a bucketful of dirt to fill in the rest of the hole.

The trees are Mountain Juniper, a type of cedar, and native to Nevada. Very drought tolerant - but also very slow growing. I have one I planted as a one-foot tall seedling 16 years ago and now it is about 8' tall. Juniper is what I use for firewood - love the smell of both the wood and the smoke. Mountain juniper is considered a problem in many areas in Nevada because it crowds out other vegetation. Consequently, the Forest Service pays contractors to remove the trees from the range where it is deemed necessary.

And yes, I can see a storm coming for 50 miles. This is the view to the west from my porch, taken at dawn a few days ago. The mountain to the left is Blue Mountain, about 25 miles distant as the crow flies. The snow-capped range on the horizon to the right is the Jackson Mountains and they are ~ 50 air miles away. When a storm is moving in, first the Jacksons disappear and then so does Blue Mountain.
View attachment 545432

But 50 miles is not a very long view in Nevada terms. From the top of any of the peaks the view is much further...there is a Sierra Club informational kiosk on a peak not far from me that I climb occasionally and it tells me that one of the peaks I can see from there is ~ 225 air miles away, near the Utah border.

Nice view!

Gordon Gould

Tractor
Kubota L3010DT, Kubota M5640SUD, Dresser TD7G Dozer
There is some beautiful open country out west for sure. It is easy to understand why westerners visiting here often ask why we don't get claustrophobia in all these woods.

gg

Thomas

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota B2650HSD w/Frontloader & CC LTX1046 & Craftman T2200 lawn mower.
Talk about peaceful easy feeling...great pics. :thumbsup:

4570Man

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M59, Kubota L3800, Grasshopper 428D, Topkick dump truck, 3500 dump truck, 10 ton trailer, more lighter trailers.
There is some beautiful open country out west for sure. It is easy to understand why westerners visiting here often ask why we don't get claustrophobia in all these woods.

gg

I like my hills and woods. They can keep their flat land.

Sysop

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4035HST purchased 2013 - Husqvarna TS348-D purchased 2019 - Craftsman 42" HST purchased 2003
I like my hills and woods. They can keep their flat land.

+1. It looks nice in photos, but there is no place like home in Almost Heaven!

dieselcrawler

Elite Member
Tractor
2013 JD 3005 2001 Kubota BX1800
+1. It looks nice in photos, but there is no place like home in Almost Heaven!

Agreed... I'll keep my slice of hillside... pictures of beautiful mountain vistas are awesome to view, and I can appreciate them for what they are, in all their splendor. But I'm a hillbilly at heart, and my roots are firmly in these hills of Appalachia...

dieselcrawler

Elite Member
Tractor
I forgot to add... a little seat time today, but just a little. Mostly spring maintenance. Made some repairs to the loader bucket, welded nuts on the sides where some holes were stripped out from using them to hold a bucket extender in place over the past 5 years, put the extender on, and moved a refrigerator from our shed back to the rental house. Later, I took off the box blade, and put the brush hog on, to get it ready for this season's abuse. Put new blades on, greased the drive shaft, and checked the gear oil. Replace missing grease fittings on the tail wheel axle, and pivot tube. Need to weld up a couple cracks in the back deck, been bashed into a few too many bushes and small trees... but it got dark, I got tired, and might have had a few beers by that point.

Earlier, I put a front wheel bearing in my truck, and helped the oldest boy on his Cobalt, needed a MAP sensor...

Busy day, nice to be home, and outside getting things done...

J.Wal

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L3130
Thursday - Saturday I got some time in burning some brush in the front yard. Took a few trees down and added them to the pile.

Never had so much fun doing yard work!IMG_1454.JPG

IMG_1463.JPG

dieselcrawler

Elite Member
Tractor
I tried out the new brush hog blades this evening, was going to do more, but got a whiff of antifreeze after mowing about 20-30 minutes. Also noticed temp gauge not working. Headed back to the barn, but no evidence of coolant leaks, overflow tank was below the 'low' line. Didn't seem hot... topped off the tank, air hosed the dust and chaff out of the radiator, grill screen, and engine compartment. I'd much prefer an old school mechanical temp gauge.

Otherwise, blades cut great!

4570Man

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M59, Kubota L3800, Grasshopper 428D, Topkick dump truck, 3500 dump truck, 10 ton trailer, more lighter trailers.
Today's seat time was about 30 minutes of pushing up a burn pile. I've been gutting a building. It's a cobbled up mess and was all peg board, osb board or paneling. I hauled off 3 loads today and I'll have one more burn pile load. I feel bad for everyone who doesn't have a dump truck. It's not a beauty queen, but it's the most useful vehicle I've ever had.

image-89745595.jpg

image-2546641182.jpg

image-1252199632.jpg

image-2075075762.jpg

Mauser12

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar 235
The same thing I have done with it for over a week . . . . nothing. It has been at the dealers for repairs. A nearly complete electrical failure. No power to the glow plugs, turn indicators, fuel gauge, temperature gauge or glow plug timer.

daugen

Super Star Member
Tractor
in between now
The same thing I have done with it for over a week . . . . nothing. It has been at the dealers for repairs. A nearly complete electrical failure. No power to the glow plugs, turn indicators, fuel gauge, temperature gauge or glow plug timer.

Bummer. Electrical harness issue?
Surprised on a new tractor. Don't read about major electrical failures much. Probably something simple and hard to find.
Hopefully they have someone qualified to diagnose.

Gordon Gould

Tractor
Kubota L3010DT, Kubota M5640SUD, Dresser TD7G Dozer
Today's seat time was about 30 minutes of pushing up a burn pile. I've been gutting a building. It's a cobbled up mess and was all peg board, osb board or paneling. I hauled off 3 loads today and I'll have one more burn pile load. I feel bad for everyone who doesn't have a dump truck. It's not a beauty queen, but it's the most useful vehicle I've ever had.

View attachment 545923

View attachment 545922

View attachment 545921

View attachment 545920

I envy guys who can just burn up stuff like that and be done with it. I would save it and have a barn full of junk that never got used. I agree about having a dump truck !

gg

mnscruff

Tractor
Mahindra xl26 max

I had the same issue with my 26xl max, but when I dropped the counter weight I had on the three point and jarred the tractor pretty good, she fired right up and everything worked! Would love to know what they find. in case I or others have this issue again.

4570Man

Super Star Member
Tractor
I envy guys who can just burn up stuff like that and be done with it. I would save it and have a barn full of junk that never got used. I agree about having a dump truck !

gg

The thought definitely crossed my mind. I decided I had no use for a bunch of paneling, peg board or trim. With that being my day job id have to have an abandoned Walmart to have any chance of saving everything. I did save the 2x4s from the walls I knocked down.

Mauser12

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar 235
I have read in several forums that the MAX 26 has some electrical issues. I stopped at the dealer today to see how they were progressing on the problem. It has been there two weeks and they haven't touched it. I was told not to expect anything from them for at least two more weeks. That coupled with the three weeks they kept pushing me to solve the problem and it has now been down five weeks with the possibility of seven weeks before they start on it. Who knows how long it will be down if they have to order parts. In the mean time, I am still making payments.

TheMadOne

Platinum Member
Tractor
I have read in several forums that the MAX 26 has some electrical issues. I stopped at the dealer today to see how they were progressing on the problem. It has been there two weeks and they haven't touched it. I was told not to expect anything from them for at least two more weeks. That coupled with the three weeks they kept pushing me to solve the problem and it has now been down five weeks with the possibility of seven weeks before they start on it. Who knows how long it will be down if they have to order parts. In the mean time, I am still making payments.

Can I ask what dealer you're talking about?

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
OUCH! That stinks. Are there any other dealers within a reasonable distance?

rocketfish

Silver Member
Tractor
2014 JD 2025R, 1986 JD 330
I would ask the dealer for a loaner of some sort!

daugen

Super Star Member
Tractor
in between now
spent about two hours discing my neighbor's field that adjoins my new garden, he says he wants to plant Silverqueen next to my Silverqueen. That works.
What he's going to plant it with I don't know since neither of his tractors work.
Mid seventies, very cloudy most of day but still nice to be out. The 2615 just has an enjoyable bark when it's under load, which it really doesn't have enough rear tire
for in this soft sandy soil. But on the first pass of the disc when I've set it down low I could listen to that sound all day. That tractor had the exhaust converted to under the tractor
so thankfully I'm not smelling much of anything. Just getting serenaded. Simpson/Perkins old fashioned diesel sound. Quality seat time for me.
Though I always feel like I need a couple more appendages at the end of the row. Slow down, lift up, clutch feathered a tiny bit on one end with facing rows too close,
drop her down, speed up, and meanwhile try to go straight will ya?

sucked up a huge amount of pine pollen, it's just snowing yellow out, flurries of gold swirling on the roads.
I could have disc'd this with the Kubota and sat in filtered a/c comfort, but it would have been nowhere as much fun.
I probably wouldn't be as tired though.

TheMadOne

Platinum Member
Tractor
A bit of post winter driveway maintenance today. Mostly just respreading the gravel that got piled up during plowing. I did dump a load of stone in one low spot and grade smooth, but that took like 5 minutes.

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
I went up into my field and brought my old Dearborne harrow out so that I can tune it up. A week ago I wasn't even exactly sure where it was, we had so much snow. Winter is starting to fail.
Those 250$ Chinese forks earned their keep today, otherwise I would have taken the winch off, put the harrows on, drive them 1/4 mile to take them off then go put the winch back on.

Or wait another month until my firewood is dragged out.

Attachments

• KIMG0370[1].jpg
    KIMG0370[1].jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 123