TODAYS SEAT TIME

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #8,091  
That's a pretty impressive snowfall for your neck of the woods. That Puma does a nice job !

Those big coastal storms have are hard time getting to us here because we are in the shadow of the Presidential Range. We probably got 6 or 8 inches but away from this shadowed area got plenty.

gg

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #8,092  
I think that we had a record snowfall with this latest storm, at least as long as
I've been living here (33 years). We had 24 inches when the photos were taken
last night, and then another 3 inches overnight for a grand total of 27 inches. I
haven't seen this much snow in one storm since the blizzard of 78. I was living
in Nashua NH at that time. The Bobcat with the Pronovost Puma 74 got a good
workout, along with the Ariens 26 inch blower. Just came in from doing a final
cleanup.
View attachment 544024 View attachment 544025 View attachment 544026
You guys have been getting hammered with snow this year. At least you have the proper tool to cleanup afterwards.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #8,093  
You guys have been getting hammered with snow this year. At least you have the proper tool to cleanup afterwards.

I'm certainly thankful for the Puma 74, especially this last storm. The first
three months of winter (Dec, Jan, Feb), it saw little use since most storms
were either 2 or 3 inches, or snow,sleet, freezing rain. For those, I just used
the Ariens 26 inch snow blower for the entire driveway. We were spoiled in
February with spring like temperatures. As I was doing storm cleanup late last
night, I was thinking that on March 1, there was no snow on the ground at all,
then WHAM, three northeasts in two weeks, with another possible storm mentioned
for around March 20.:hissyfit:

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #8,094  
While many of you are pushing snow, I was pulling a hoe today. So my seat time was carryall work in the little Massey and also did a little weed
mowing with my new Kubota F mower. It has a bit of a learning curve as I had to be careful not to wreck my fruit orchard metal fence in turns near the corners. With rear steering, it steers very differently than anything else I have. Mowed fine, forgot my ear protection again, man is that thing noisy. Rear discharge mower, wonder if that is directing deck noise differently.

I have now run that mower at 2600 rpm for awhile and today at 2800 rpm. And forgot to open it up all the way under load, where I won't run it anyway. Am really curious what flat out/ok yes it's governed, rpm is. Diesels sure do spin faster these days...

Attachments

• IMG_0144.JPG
    IMG_0144.JPG
    9 MB · Views: 135
   / TODAYS SEAT TIME #8,095  
Guy I bought my Kubota from a month ago offered to sell me a big rear-mount snow blower that he had used with the tractor. I declined...hey, I live out in the desert and we haven't seen enough snow on the valley floor around here in the past couple years for me to even remember where my snow shovel was. So of course, this morning I wake up to 14" on the ground...and had to use my rear blade to clear my road. Heavy, wet snow - had to use 4x4, otherwise the rear tires would just spin with a big load in front of the blade.
P1110720r.jpg

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #8,096  
Took down 3 trees and moved them to burn piles. I use to dread trees before I got my tractor. Now I just cut them down and move them then cut into smaller chunks! IMG_1389.JPG
IMG_1390.JPG
IMG_1388.JPGIMG_1387.JPG

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #8,097  
   / TODAYS SEAT TIME #8,098  
Those split ones can be a bear to get on the ground, but with more horsepower you managed it nicely.

Yea... luckily it didn’t crack till it hit the ground.

I was able to push it with the bucket and from a dead stop in 1st so that it didn’t jar it and risk it snapping back at the top.

And happily, the root ball came out with it! It was a Box Elder tree (Aceraceae -- Maple family) and they are my least factories tree. They die from top to bottom and are dropping limbs year round. I am working on removing them all from my yard but with time.

Did get the back wheel stuck in the root ball hole after it fell. Had to use the FEL and Dif lock to get backed out. Then used the bucket to get some dirt from the top of the hill to backfill it!

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #8,099  
Only seat time today was moving the 3038e around so I could fix the tire chain that broke at the end (luckily) of plowing the last little snow. A "J" link had caught on a stabilizer linkage & straightened out enough to come loose. Cut it off & put a quick link in its place then re-adjusted the 3 point hitch to make a recurrence unlikely.

Not planning on having to use them again this year, but if I didn't fix it I am sure we would get a freak 12" event ...

Nick

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #8,100  
Well were supposed to get rain and up to 3" of snow tomorrow. I will believe it when I see it, However I did get one pasture fertilized with the last of last years stuff and then went on poo patrol. During the winter the horses have free range of the 3 small pastures (about 2 acres total). They seem to poo in various specific spots so was out back dragging the poo piles into windrows and adding it to the compost pile (turned the piles while I was at it). I also use a bunch to fill in the rough spot in the pasture. Was out about 4 hours. I cherish the seat time - all to myself. Each year I do it and I am finally getting it pretty smooth. The HOA gets upset if things don't look nice even though horses are allowed by the covenants. Some folks are out daily picking up after there horses. The covenants are specific about maintaining a rural atmosphere so I figure a few poo piles fit right in. Maybe I should raise a cow and really stink up the place.

Needless to say I try and keep up with it. Its part of my spring prep anyway. After this storm is done and if it dissolves the fertilizer, I will move the critters to the back pasture and get the drag harrow out along with fertilizer and some grass seed. Then its hoping we get enough snow in the mountains for our irrigation water. Right now it looks bleak.