TODAYS SEAT TIME

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #8,101  
Well were supposed to get rain and up to 3" of snow tomorrow. I will believe it when I see it, However I did get one pasture fertilized with the last of last years stuff and then went on poo patrol. During the winter the horses have free range of the 3 small pastures (about 2 acres total). They seem to poo in various specific spots so was out back dragging the poo piles into windrows and adding it to the compost pile (turned the piles while I was at it). I also use a bunch to fill in the rough spot in the pasture. Was out about 4 hours. I cherish the seat time - all to myself. Each year I do it and I am finally getting it pretty smooth. The HOA gets upset if things don't look nice even though horses are allowed by the covenants. Some folks are out daily picking up after there horses. The covenants are specific about maintaining a rural atmosphere so I figure a few poo piles fit right in. Maybe I should raise a cow and really stink up the place.

Needless to say I try and keep up with it. Its part of my spring prep anyway. After this storm is done and if it dissolves the fertilizer, I will move the critters to the back pasture and get the drag harrow out along with fertilizer and some grass seed. Then its hoping we get enough snow in the mountains for our irrigation water. Right now it looks bleak.

If you really want to do that you need a few pigs. Then supplement with a goat or two... and finish the mix up with a young, horny rooster. Contrary to common lore they don't wait until sunrise to start crowing...

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #8,102  
Finished off the small walkway I started awhile ago. The construction steps to my fathers house finally gave up the ghost, after 28 years. Part of the problem is that the deck the steps attach to is built on our wonderful clay, and I had to put several inches of...whatever I could find, usually busted up cinder blocks, to try and keep the steps level over the years. When the steps failed last month we slapped together a set in a hurry, not quite finishing before a snowstorm hit.

With the 3301 and a free hand I scooped out a good bit of the clay muck, replaced it with 3/4 washed for drainage, added some pavers and marble chips. The walkway now sits about 4" or so above the ground and will hopefully both stabilize the steps and keep itself from turning into an ice sheet due to being a depression from foot traffic, which is how things used to be.

I don't put that many hours on my tractor, but when I reach for that key it's almost always to do a job that either wouldn't get done or would have taken twice as long and not been half as well done if I didn't have a tractor.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #8,103  
If you really want to do that you need a few pigs. Then supplement with a goat or two... and finish the mix up with a young, horny rooster. Contrary to common lore they don't wait until sunrise to start crowing...

I was going to say the same thing. You want stink, raise a couple pigs. Neighbors will love you for it.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #8,104  
Not so much seat time, but today was spring cleaning for the tractor. Pressure washed, scrubbed, rinsed, and spray waxed. Took several hours, but since it lives outside it needed it badly.

Anybody know how to get the black splotches off of the plastic on the throttle/3pt controls?

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #8,105  
"Anybody know how to get the black splotches off of the plastic on the throttle/3pt controls? "

I've good luck using diesel on rag,even removing exhaust stain on paint.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #8,106  
I started working on a 2 acre patch cut, with hopes to enhance the ruffed grouse hunting opportunities. I will cut all of the poplar, which will end up getting made into OSB; and drop and leave most of the smaller trees leaving only what ash trees are there. This will be the second patch I create; the first was about 8 years ago, and I now need to visit it with a brush saw and thin the saplings.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #8,107  
While many of you are pushing snow, I was pulling a hoe today. So my seat time was carryall work in the little Massey and also did a little weed
mowing with my new Kubota F mower. It has a bit of a learning curve as I had to be careful not to wreck my fruit orchard metal fence in turns near the corners. With rear steering, it steers very differently than anything else I have. Mowed fine, forgot my ear protection again, man is that thing noisy. Rear discharge mower, wonder if that is directing deck noise differently.

I have now run that mower at 2600 rpm for awhile and today at 2800 rpm. And forgot to open it up all the way under load, where I won't run it anyway. Am really curious what flat out/ok yes it's governed, rpm is. Diesels sure do spin faster these days...

That's a lot of potatoes. What's the plan for them?

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #8,108  
A lot of work come fall......

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #8,109  
That's a lot of potatoes. What's the plan for them?

Once my freezer is full, everything is going to local Food Bank. Have wanted to do this for many years, grow for the needy.
200 pounds in, how many pounds out? We should have a lottery for closest answer, assuming I was going to weigh it all...
if I get 10x returns, that's a ton of potatoes, literally and figuratively!

I would never do anything to this scale if the very nice head of the local Food Bank did not tell me Drew you grow it, we'll eat it, and better...
give us a few days notice, and we'll get volunteers in to help pick the corn and potatoes. That was my green light to have some fun.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #8,110  
Didn't take a pic, but pushed 4" of wet heavy snow this morning early. We're supposed to get another 3" throughout today.