Tomato cages--what do you use?

/ Tomato cages--what do you use? #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
Never liked those wire cages. Came up with a new solution, but maybe you have something better.

My design is simple, using PVC pipe and twine. Cut the PVC to 5 ft., drill 1/4" holes about every 10 inches, pound 3 of them into the ground around the plant, thread the twine thru the holes to make a loop. Can easily store and reuse the PVC every year.

Any better ideas out there?

/ Tomato cages--what do you use? #2  
I use the Florida Weave which I learned about on TBN. Basically a solid stake at each end of a row. Tie string on stake and weave in and out of the plants then come back by weaving on the opposing side. As the plants grow add another height of string. We have a "hedge" of tomatoes now about 5 feet tall.

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ Tomato cages--what do you use? #3  
I'm not real big on tomatoes myself, but put in a couple plants for my wife. I just use wooden stakes and tie them to that with twine.

/ Tomato cages--what do you use? #4  
I think it is cruel and inhumane to cage tomatoes. I will only serve free range tomatoes at my house. :D

..........kidding...............I made my own cages out of 1/4" roundstock steel about 6 or 7 years ago. They hold up well, but are a pain to store. Might have to try your idea.

/ Tomato cages--what do you use? #5  
We do it a bit different. We set a fence post at each end of the row and run a cable between the top of the posts. We use twine to tie each plant up to the cable.

Attachments

• P7050003.JPG
    P7050003.JPG
    694 KB · Views: 191
   / Tomato cages--what do you use? #6  
We just drive a metal fence post next to each plant an tie them to that. It is important ti turn the post so the knobs are away from the plant and wrap the string around the post and then tie up the plant. We have used ours for 10 years and the paint is still good on them. Ed

/ Tomato cages--what do you use? #7  
I made some out of some .375" heavy galvanized cut off from truss rods used on gates. There was always plenty of drop at work. If I had a way to roll rings I would have done a heavier version of the wire ones, but the triangle ones seem to do fine. They don't rust from being in the ground, and the zinc doesn't seem to bother the plants. Been using them for years, need to make a few more as I had a bunch of volunteers this year.

/ Tomato cages--what do you use? #8  
I took a 50" tall by 16' long livestock panel and split it both directions with bolt cutters. Then i bent each piece in half. I now have an "A" frame that I put between four tomato plants planted in a 2' x 2' pattern. I then use twine to help get them started to climb up the support.

I did this after I got tired of all the work of tying them to a wood stake or setting up cages that either break or blow over. Now I have rigid support that are easy to set and then remove in the fall and they never fall down. They are made out of 1/4" rod and the sharp ends stick in the ground. The A frame shape and 2'x2' base make them very sturdy. I have been using them for about ten years now.

A new livestock panel is $15 locally and I can cut it in about 5 minutes.

/ Tomato cages--what do you use? #9  
Best part of the typical tomato cage is they nest together .... I've too much stuff already to store.

I do like the idea of the Florida Weave :thumbsup:... If I have a row of tomato plants in the future ... I'll use that.

/ Tomato cages--what do you use? #10  
I made mine out of concrete reinforcement wire. They are tough; takes bolt cutters to cut the heavy wire. They are very strong, and work fine. I have room for storage, so it's not a problem.