Chains too close for comfort? chains on BX2230

/ too close for comfort? chains on BX2230 #1  

civilian

Veteran Member
Tractor
Gravely Pro 16 walk behind, Kubota BX2230, Kubota B26TLB
I might have a need to install chains on my BX2230. We have had some enough warm weather to really make some drives very icy. So I was looking to try to use the chains I have.

The front tires are the same size as my walk behind Gravely tires, so I thought I could just use them. But after installing one, I wondered if it was too close to the tie rod.

On the rear tires I tried a tire chain from one of my old Jeep tires. Don't remember that tire size, though. Seems like it does not cover onto the side wall of the rear tire enough.

Any comments are appreciated. Thanks, Jon P_20180130_153743.jpg

/ too close for comfort? chains on BX2230
another pic, maybe.
P_20180130_153729.jpg
P_20180130_153022.jpg
P_20180130_153013.jpg

/ too close for comfort? chains on BX2230 #3  
I would worry some about the front ones, maybe throw a tensioner or a few bungee cords on the outside to keep them from walking towards the insides, that tierod end looks quite vulnerable,
I think that you will find the rears walking off the tire, if they walk off to the outside they are just going to wad up and fall off, however if they walk off to the inside they will wrap around your axle and do there best to destroy every thing they can.
Looking at those rear tires I would want the side chains half way down the sidewalls of the tires.
Good luck

/ too close for comfort? chains on BX2230
I would worry some about the front ones, maybe throw a tensioner or a few bungee cords on the outside to keep them from walking towards the insides, that tierod end looks quite vulnerable,
I think that you will find the rears walking off the tire, if they walk off to the outside they are just going to wad up and fall off, however if they walk off to the inside they will wrap around your axle and do there best to destroy every thing they can.
Looking at those rear tires I would want the side chains half way down the sidewalls of the tires.
Good luck

Agree with the rears. Just thought I would try them on for size, from an old Jeep. Fronts are not really installed very good. I might be able to tighten them up properly to see if they would stay away from the tie rod end. Right now, back to snow in Northern Michigan, so no chains required for my usual snow blowing. Thanks, Jon