Too kinky! Who makes best non-kink

CobyRupert

Tractor
JD 5075E
Was thinking this is a lawn and garden topic, but it's a farm, ranch, construction, everybody topic too...

Who makes best garden hose?
Least susceptible to kinking?

Don't care about weight.
Anybody ever use the wire reinforced hoses?

4570Man

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M59, Kubota L3800, Grasshopper 428D, Topkick dump truck, 3500 dump truck, 10 ton trailer, more lighter trailers.
I really want to find some of those red or black large diameter commercial hoses. Gilmore makes a pretty good hose.

JerryK

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra (2011)5035 HST TLB & (2016)2555 HST Cab & (2017)1526 HST(2018)Cub Cadet Pro Z 154L (1991) Caterpillar E70B
Almost all hoses kink. Unless you get one that weighs sooooo much it takes two men and a boy to drag it. I have switched over to Flexzilla hoses, kink resistant, but NOT kink free. In the winter, I use one of those pocket hoses just to drag out and warsh my Jeep... then quickly stow away. But the Flexzilla are good hoses. [ Amazon amongst others sell those ]

JK22

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25D-1
Flexzilla 5/8” is the first hose I’ve had in 10 years that doesn’t suck. Definitely much less kinky than other brands. Most hoses labeled “contractor” are TERRIBLE. The commercial grade hoses are pricey and supppper heavy.

radios1

Elite Member
Tractor
john deere la145
I had very good luck with the craftsman rubber hoses, but they are heavy!. not good for traveling sprinklers, but are essentially bullet proof.. plus, they have a lifetime warranty..

Texas Driller

Tractor
John Deere 8320R Tractor
I had very good luck with the craftsman rubber hoses, but they are heavy!. not good for traveling sprinklers, but are essentially bullet proof.. plus, they have a lifetime warranty..

Have you ever tried those expandable hoses? I'm thinking about getting three to run into my pasture...

drssg

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M5700, BX2350
This thread is click-bait.

caver

Veteran Member
Tractor
Fisher Price, toddlers first tractor.
I bought one of those red rubber 3/4" hoses with the little angles all the way around the outside. I think it was rated for hot water too. It reminded me of what hoses looked like in the 70's. It will kink but springs right back unlike the other brands I've bought that kinked and then it kinks again and gets deformed at the spot. Back as kids in my neighborhood every house had a well. Nothing like a cold drink of well water off the end of the hose on a hot summer day. All those hoses sold today I would think of drinking out of the house with that plastic stench that comes off the hose.

RNeumann

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra 1538
Flexzilla 5/8” is the first hose I’ve had in 10 years that doesn’t suck. Definitely much less kinky than other brands. Most hoses labeled “contractor” are TERRIBLE. The commercial grade hoses are pricey and supppper heavy.

Another Flexzilla fan!

I also use the “flex hose” style hose. I just get the 50’ ones that are the highest rated off Amazon. No need for brass hose ends. These work good for light use, when it’s below freezing and when weight is a concern. Not industrial strength but they don’t/can’t kink.

Ford850

Tractor
Case DX55, Ford 850
Another Flexzilla fan!

I also use the “flex hose” style hose. I just get the 50’ ones that are the highest rated off Amazon. No need for brass hose ends. These work good for light use, when it’s below freezing and when weight is a concern. Not industrial strength but they don’t/can’t kink.

Flexzilla here too. I also use a Flexzilla air hose.

JK22

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25D-1
Another Flexzilla fan!

I’ve never tried one... but reviews tend to be pretty bad with lots of complaints that the fittings came unglued or the hose started leaking quickly.

RobA

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L5030 HST
Another Flexzilla fan!

Do the flex type hoses squeeze enough water out so freezing is not an issue? I hate draining hoses in the barn during the winter.

OP
CobyRupert

CobyRupert

Tractor
JD 5075E
This thread is click-bait.

Thanks for the replies.

... believe it not, somehow I hit the button and posted before I'd completed the title and had only wrote the first sentence (with no mention of garden hose.): "Was thinking this is a lawn and garden topic, but it's a farm, ranch, construction, everybody topic too..." - Now that really would of left people wondering!
I had to go back and edit to add the other sentences asking about garden hose, but I couldn't edit the title....so yeah....click bait...oops...:eek:

mikester

Veteran Member
Tractor
M59 TLB
Do the flex type hoses squeeze enough water out so freezing is not an issue? I hate draining hoses in the barn during the winter.

If freezing is an issue then you will need to either store them in a heated space or use an air compressor to blow out the lines first.

The flex hoses are great until they burst. Then the whole hose ends up in the garbage after a few uses because they are in-repairable. Fool me once...

The longest lasting hoses Ive ever had are 3/4 soft rubber flexible hoses. They are still prone to kink but a good quality hose reel reduces the problems. The only problem is I havent been able to find that brand again to replace the other less flexible corded ones that are now cracked and leaking.

JerryK

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra (2011)5035 HST TLB & (2016)2555 HST Cab & (2017)1526 HST(2018)Cub Cadet Pro Z 154L (1991) Caterpillar E70B
I drain my 100'r [ may be 75', don't remember ] then store it in a mesh bag in my wood heated workshop area. I bought a bunch of the mesh bags on Ebay and use them to store vehicle washing brushes/other stuff that gets wet year round. Kind of looks like this, kind of.... Bags come in different colors, think they are for shopping or sumptin'. I just use the flex hose for washing vehicles in the winter. Never leave them hooked up like I do my Flexzilla all warm weather times.

Attachments

• IMG_0659 (Large).jpeg
    IMG_0659 (Large).jpeg
    278.9 KB · Views: 37

OP
CobyRupert

CobyRupert

Tractor
JD 5075E
If freezing is an issue then you will need to either store them in a heated space or use an air compressor to blow out the lines first.

The flex hoses are great until they burst. Then the whole hose ends up in the garbage after a few uses because they are in-repairable. Fool me once...

The longest lasting hoses Ive ever had are 3/4 soft rubber flexible hoses. They are still prone to kink but a good quality hose reel reduces the problems. The only problem is I havent been able to find that brand again to replace the other less flexible corded ones that are now cracked and leaking.

This is for wife's horse barn. She has to fill the heated watering tub for her hay-burners every couple days.
My goal is to stay away from any hose that has "increased restrictions" (kinks & the "scars" they leave after straightening), because the Campbell water hydrant we have in unheated barn has a tendency to eventually leak where the hydrant's stem exits the hydrant body and connects to the handle, despite repeated attempts at packing/sealing. A contributing cause of this leak is from whatever pressure is created downstream (hose) when hydrant is turned on.
Right now we are cutting a lot (3) of the kinks out and replacing them with splices.

I like the idea of flex hoses being compact and easy to carry to a heated space (house basement), but don't see this as everyday solution, maybe as a back-up.
I want to stay away from flex hoses as I assume it has a lot of flow restriction due to its nature.

Air compressor and blowing lines routine out would be too complicated for wife.

I think that beyond a good hose, one of the solutions might involve a good reel.
Right now when she pulls hose back into barn, she runs an end over a rafter and slowly pulls it over the rafter to drain as she coils it on floor. I think one of the problems might be when she pulls it back out next time, something in the coil snags or doesn't twist, etc...and a kink is formed.
So a reel might fix the unwinding problem, but I don't see a good way to drain the hose that would remain on the reel. I think we'd have to pull the hose completely off it every time and connect directly to hydrant.

RNeumann

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra 1538

Not all of it. I’d guess it shrinks to pencil size or so. Went the “new” water begins to flow it has an easy path around any ice. I don’t leave mine outside all winter. But I don’t worry about leaving it out for the day.....

JerryK

Elite Member
Tractor
Neighbor has a water place in each stall that he fills from the frost free spigot by pail each day. He says he likes to keep track of how much water each individual horse is drinking in the winter to keep an eye on their health. But me, I know nothing of horses. He has the heated waterers in his different pastures that they drink out of most of the year, so I don't know why he worries a boot the winter drinking. Or, ' just his thing ' ...

ruffdog

Tractor
Bobcat Toolcat 5610G Deere X744

JK22

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25D-1
This is for wife's horse barn. She has to fill the heated watering tub for her hay-burners every couple days.
My goal is to stay away from any hose that has "increased restrictions" (kinks & the "scars" they leave after straightening), because the Campbell water hydrant we have in unheated barn has a tendency to eventually leak where the hydrant's stem exits the hydrant body and connects to the handle, despite repeated attempts at packing/sealing. A contributing cause of this leak is from whatever pressure is created downstream (hose) when hydrant is turned on.
Right now we are cutting a lot (3) of the kinks out and replacing them with splices.

I like the idea of flex hoses being compact and easy to carry to a heated space (house basement), but don't see this as everyday solution, maybe as a back-up.
I want to stay away from flex hoses as I assume it has a lot of flow restriction due to its nature.

I think that beyond a good hose, one of the solutions might involve a good reel.
Right now when she pulls hose back into barn, she runs an end over a rafter and slowly pulls it over the rafter to drain as she coils it on floor. I think one of the problems might be when she pulls it back out next time, something in the coil snags or doesn't twist, etc...and a kink is formed.
So a reel might fix the unwinding problem, but I don't see a good way to drain the hose that would remain on the reel. I think we'd have to pull the hose completely off it every time and connect directly to hydrant.

How long of a hose is necessary? I’m wondering if you could run a heating cable either through or around a hose to prevent freezing...

aczlan

Super Star Member
Tractor
Case 480F LL, Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660
$60 air compressor: 3 gallon 1/3 HP 1 PSI Oil-Free Pancake Air Compressor
1/4" NPT to hose adapter: FASPARTS 1/4" Female NPT FPT FIP to 3/4" Male GHT Garden Hose Thread Adapter Brass Fitting Fuel / Air / Water / Boat / Gas / Oil WOG House / Boat / Lawn / Power Wash / Irrigation: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
1/4" shutoff valve: Lead-Free Forged Brass In-Line Ball Shut Off Valve, Quarter Turn, 1/4" Male NPT (MNPT) X 1/4" Female NPT (FNPT): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
1/4" nipple: EDGE INDUSTRIAL Brass Long Nipple 1/4" X 1/4", 3" Length, Male NPT MNPT Fuel/AIR/ Water/Oil/ Gas WOG: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
Set the regulator to 50PSI and install the adapter and valves in place of the quick connect.
Then she can finish watering, remove the hose from the hydrant, connect it's to the air compressor open the valve go to the other end and turn it on and the water will all blow out. That should also work with a hose reel as well. There might be a little bit left, but it should be a small enough amount to not hurt anything and when you run the water through next it should melt it.

Aaron Z

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, MX5100, L4300, B7800. JD 790
The industrial hose that Sam's Club sells is the best we have ever used. It's 120 ft long and we have maybe 8 of them we bought to water the new trees around the house. They are bulletproof and we have never had to replace any in more than 7 years. Zero kinks. They are outside in the summer heat, driven over constantly in a gravel drive and given zero care. None leak and we still have them all. It's kind of a hassle now because we no longer use them but they still block my path in the barn.

Molalla1

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra, JD, MF, CAT
Almost all hoses kink. Unless you get one that weighs sooooo much it takes two men and a boy to drag it. I have switched over to Flexzilla hoses, kink resistant, but NOT kink free. In the winter, I use one of those pocket hoses just to drag out and warsh my Jeep... then quickly stow away. But the Flexzilla are good hoses. [ Amazon amongst others sell those ]

Yes Jerry . . . I have a couple 100' industrial rubber from [email protected] hoses, made for a industry that uses chemicals from [email protected] ;) they don't kink at all really but they do weigh a TON . . . :thumbdown:

KennyG

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320
I have a couple of the black industrial hoses and they are the permanent solution but weigh a ton. I don't know the brand of mine because they are probably over 10, maybe 20 years old. Those collapsible hoses are really cool but I've had two and both burst within a year. Maybe I should try another for the convenience, but my experience is very negative.

JerryK

Elite Member
Tractor
You also have to remember. Sometimes a little kinky in your life is a good thing. :)

Gem99ultra

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400HST
I really want to find some of those red or black large diameter commercial hoses. Gilmore makes a pretty good hose.

I have two. And yes - the BOTH kink. Ignore their sales pitch.

OP
CobyRupert

CobyRupert

Tractor
JD 5075E
You also have to remember. Sometimes a little kinky in your life is a good thing. :)

...just a little...
...but she'd rather have a rigid hose.

Like the old joke: What's the difference between a little kinky and perverted?
Kinky is using a feather.
...but perverted is using the whole chicken!

drssg

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M5700, BX2350

I use about 300' of hose to periodically water our indoor riding arena. I've never had any luck with any splicing approach. The splice is weaker than the original hose, and it always leaks (for me). Once the hose has problems, I just have to throw it away.

I found that the soft and flexible rubber hoses kink easily. The harder plastic-like hoses are less likely to kink, but once they do, the kink tendency in that spot is permanent. I have the best luck with heavier duty rubber hoses that have medium flexibility.

I don't have a brand name, but they seem to change every time I need one.

Industrial Toys

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota R510 Wheel Loader + Cab and backhoe, JD 6200 Open Station, Cushman 6150, 4x4, ten foot 56 hp Kubota diesel hydraulic wing mower, Steiner 430 Diesel Max, Kawasaki Diesel Mule, JD 4x2 Electric Gator
I buy all kinds of hose dirt cheap from Habitat for Humanity, mostly Home Depot Returns. The nicest hoses are soft and lay flat, hang up nice, and kink the worst. The heavy ornary ones don't kink but don't lay flat, don't hang up worth a crap and maintain their loop from being hung up, especially in the cold. What about a rubber air hose?

Side note. I was pretty much just using an orange garden hose this summer and it caused all manner of trouble with algae plugging up my sprinklers. Every time I went to use it. NEVER had that problem before. Is it the color?

aczlan

Super Star Member
Tractor
Case 480F LL, Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660
It was probably due to the fact that it was translucent and therefore the sunlight could get to the water in the hose. With most garden hoses, they are not translucent and thus they keep the algae from growing due to the sunlight. Much like storing water in a black tank rather than a clear or white tank.

Aaron Z

KennyG

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320
I took a look at my best hose and unfortunately it doesn't have a name on it. The interesting thing is that it isn't round, it's hexagonal. It's moderately heavy and impossible to kink. It shows no signs of deterioration and is somewhere between 10 and 20 years old. If I could find another I would probably buy it. It's black rubber.

Rustyiron

Tractor
M 9540 Kubota
Rubber, red or black! Built like a radiator hose, just smaller. I have 2- 50' Craftsman that are over 30 years old!
Learning how to handle a hose, no mater what type is a must as well. Hose, just like a rope or an extension cord has a "lay" to it that has to be respected when winding one up for storage. This requires a twist to each loop. Basic stuff but when your uncle is a sailor and I was a kid on his boat.......:laughing:

Jaylegger

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC2600L
There's a strong positive correlation to kinking and hose twist. Hand coiling is the primary cause of twist/kinking, the use of hose reels prevent that cause of kinking. I purchased 100 feet of black rubber hose 10 years from home depot and it still functions perfectly today, no permanent creases or anything like that. Don't twist it from hand coiling and it doesn't kink.

OP
CobyRupert

CobyRupert

Tractor
JD 5075E
There's a strong positive correlation to kinking and hose twist. Hand coiling is the primary cause of twist/kinking, the use of hose reels prevent that cause of kinking. I purchased 100 feet of black rubber hose 10 years from home depot and it still functions perfectly today, no permanent creases or anything like that. Don't twist it from hand coiling and it doesn't kink.

Very true. A little study of the matter seems to reveal that every time you pull a loop off the (horizontal - laying on floor) coil, all the hose that you already have pulled off the coil needs to rotate a full revolution. This is easy when it's only 10' or 25' of hose, but eventually the weight of the extended hose doesn't allow the "un-twist action" to "propagate" the full length.
....I think a good reel is one of the answers.

Last edited:

Motorboatin

Gold Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1750M
Was thinking this is a lawn and garden topic, but it's a farm, ranch, construction, everybody topic too...

Who makes best garden hose?
Least susceptible to kinking?

Don't care about weight.
Anybody ever use the wire reinforced hoses?

You can buy these on amazon

71ZoDbZvYGL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Attachments

• 1054.075.JPG
    1054.075.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 28

Industrial Toys

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota R510 Wheel Loader + Cab and backhoe, JD 6200 Open Station, Cushman 6150, 4x4, ten foot 56 hp Kubota diesel hydraulic wing mower, Steiner 430 Diesel Max, Kawasaki Diesel Mule, JD 4x2 Electric Gator
When I was young. One of the things that was important to learn early was how to roll up a hose neatly. It would have been funny to present my Dad a crappy vinyl hose of today, and say show me..