Tool Tray for L and MX Series Tractors With LA Loaders

/ Tool Tray for L and MX Series Tractors With LA Loaders #1  

bdhsfz6

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5800 HST & L6060 HSTC Formerly L6060 HST B7100 HST, L2550, L3010 HST, L3430 HST
If you own an L or MX series Kubota and LAxxx Loader, here is a simple, easy tool tray project requiring 4 parts all available at Home Depot. The tray will also fit many other Kubota loader mounts with a cross tube inside diameter of 4 7/16". It took about 2 hours to make a pair of these for my MX5800 (excluding paint) and cost around $20. The Home Depot part information is shown in Pic 1. Depending on the individual tractor, some sanding of the end caps may be necessary. Check the fit before gluing the caps to the pipe (pic 4). I had to sand the caps for the right tray but the left one fit like a glove. An easy way to do this is shown in Pics 2 & 3. Check the depth of the cross tube before cutting the drain pipe. The length necessary for the MX5800 is 14 1/2"

Each tray for the MX5800 holds 183 cu in. which is actually larger than Kubota's plastic step mount tool box. It also seals tightly like a bottle cork and keeps out dust & dirt. I use mine to carry chain saw fuel, chain oil, spare parts and an extra 1 liter water bottle. Next I'll have to make up a mount to carry the saw. Some neat ideas were shown recently in another post.

Attachments

• Pic 02.jpg
    Pic 02.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 1,136
  • Pic 03.jpg
    Pic 03.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 884
  • Pic 04.jpg
    Pic 04.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 771
  • Pic 05.jpg
    Pic 05.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 794
  • Pic 06.jpg
    Pic 06.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 869
  • Pic 07.jpg
    Pic 07.jpg
    361.6 KB · Views: 1,087
  • Pic 08.jpg
    Pic 08.jpg
    385 KB · Views: 2,575
  • Pic 09.jpg
    Pic 09.jpg
    428.6 KB · Views: 952
  • Pic 10.jpg
    Pic 10.jpg
    393.9 KB · Views: 960
  • Pic 11.jpg
    Pic 11.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 997
   / Tool Tray for L and MX Series Tractors With LA Loaders #2  
You can use a plummers test cap which has a wingnut in the center to tighten it in place. You need to make a bushing from 4 inch PVC and that will slip inside the loader tube. Add the cap and tighten the wing nut. You need one for the front and one in the back. I got mine at HD

/ Tool Tray for L and MX Series Tractors With LA Loaders #4  
A plumbers' test cap that big has to be pretty $$$$$$$$. What did you pay for each of them if I may ask ??

/ Tool Tray for L and MX Series Tractors With LA Loaders #5  
7 bucks apiece. The part that I like about it is you can move iot in so it does not stick out past the pipe on the loader. I don't mean this as a sl;am to the OP but I use mine in the woods and I have had sticks come back toward me. With my setup there is nothing for them to catch on

/ Tool Tray for L and MX Series Tractors With LA Loaders #6  
Awesome idea - love it.
Going to build some for our tractor.
Thanks for sharing!

/ Tool Tray for L and MX Series Tractors With LA Loaders #7  
Very clever with the idea of a drawer so small stuff doesn't get lost in the long loader tube. I like it,

gg

/ Tool Tray for L and MX Series Tractors With LA Loaders
You can use a plummers test cap which has a wingnut in the center to tighten it in place. You need to make a bushing from 4 inch PVC and that will slip inside the loader tube. Add the cap and tighten the wing nut. You need one for the front and one in the back. I got mine at HD

Thanks for the suggestions. I've seen a lot of different schemes to utilize the wasted space inside loader cross tubes. In the past, I've blocked off both ends and used the tube to hold wrenches and other long tools. My "tray" approach lets me keep small parts handy without reaching inside. It also keeps the project cheap and simple.

4" SCH 40 PVC fittings cost more and require a lot of sanding or milling to fit inside the 4-7/16" ID cross tube. With just a little sanding, the SCH 20 fittings fit very nicely and cost just over $20 for two trays. The outside cap can easily be made to friction fit like a bottle cork yet remove easily with just a twist. I've got over 20 hours on the MX5800 so far and they haven't come loose from vibration.

I may use your idea on the front loader tube where the SCH 40 fittings will hold up better against debris from heavy loader work.

Thanks again.

/ Tool Tray for L and MX Series Tractors With LA Loaders #9  
Just how tightly do they fit? And what keeps them from vibrating out/ falling out. Especially if working on a slope?

/ Tool Tray for L and MX Series Tractors With LA Loaders #10  
I use the test plugs as well:Shop Oatey 4 Dia PVC Test Plug Fitting at Lowes.com

As said it requires a short piece of 4" PVC as well. I had to cut a small notch out of the PVC to reduce the outer diameter a hair. Only takes a few minutes. Did both tubes on the mounts and the long tube on the loader itself. 6 total caps took maybe 1/2 hour to install.

For small items, take a piece of pipe of the diameter and length of your choice, glue a cap on one end, and a female adapter with a cleanout plug on the other end.