Tooliom Welder, And Odd Ways To Provide A Cord to Adapt to 240V

/ Tooliom Welder, And Odd Ways To Provide A Cord to Adapt to 240V #1  

gckshea

Bronze Member
Tractor
2018 LS XR4140
Has anyone had experience, yea or nay, with Tooliom Chinesium welders? I just picked one up based on some decent recommendations from Amazon/YouTube. The crazy thing is, while it internally switches from its built-in 120V household plug's current to 240V once its plugged in, the adapter cord they provided is unlike any I have ever seen. It has a female 120V NEMA 5-15 - standard household for the welder to plug in to. The other end of the 12" long adapter is a NEMA 6-50P male. The crazy thing is the household female's two slots are to each hot leg of the 240V male. This means it's a cord that COULD accept any old household appliance, and get plugged into 240V!! Not that I am going to do this, and I clearly put a label on it: "Welder Use Only!" Has anyone run into these odd, impossible-to-find adapters, lest I need to replace this one for loss or damage? Nowhere on Amazon or any other site can I find these. I could buy the parts and custom make one....at 2x the cost!

Also, are there adapters for the same welder that have instead of the 6-50P typical welder 240V plug, a L14-30P, the circular locking 4-lug plug for 240V on generators? That'd be handy, too.
Thx, All

/ Tooliom Welder, And Odd Ways To Provide A Cord to Adapt to 240V #2  
My Chinese welder came with no plug at all so I didn't need an adapter. If you cut the plug off your welder yours will be like mine. Since it will run on 220 volts you may wish to put the appropriate plug onto the cord. If you feel you MUST be able to power it from 120 volts build THAT adapter. I think that would be a safer way to go than having a male 240 volt plug with an adapter to a 120 volt receptacle.

/ Tooliom Welder, And Odd Ways To Provide A Cord to Adapt to 240V
Excellent advice! Thank you

/ Tooliom Welder, And Odd Ways To Provide A Cord to Adapt to 240V #4  
They are the proud producers of a suicide cord. Can't imagine what they were thinking.

/ Tooliom Welder, And Odd Ways To Provide A Cord to Adapt to 240V #5  
That's interesting, my Everlast came with a 5-15P to 6-50R adapter, so you could feed a 240V to a 120V device, but not visa versa.

Aaron Z

/ Tooliom Welder, And Odd Ways To Provide A Cord to Adapt to 240V #6  
Some real world welding equipment manufacturers actually use a "multi voltage" plug that actually adapts on end of welder cord so you don't have Chinesium adapt only provided to make welder work with no regard to personal safety....

mvp.jpg

Example Hobart Handler 210MVP

Also, are there adapters for the same welder that have instead of the 6-50P typical welder 240V plug, a L14-30P, the circular locking 4-lug plug for 240V on generators? That'd be handy, too.

Yes there is....

NOT RECCOMENDING THIS PRODUCT OR SELLER, but its here for reference only, many manufacturers and retailers can provide "like" adapter...

Adapter.jpg

Last edited:
   / Tooliom Welder, And Odd Ways To Provide A Cord to Adapt to 240V #7  
Some real world welding equipment manufacturers actually use a "multi voltage" plug that actually adapts on end of welder cord so you don't have Chinesium adapt only provided to make welder work with no regard to personal safety....

View attachment 707163

Example Hobart Handler 210MVP

Yes there is....

View attachment 707164

My Miller Multimatic 200 uses the exact same set up.

/ Tooliom Welder, And Odd Ways To Provide A Cord to Adapt to 240V #8  
I am a little lost. First,,, good recommendations by Amazon are suspect as are any of those reviews, they are living proof the reviewers may not know anything about the machine they are reviewing, does not say,,, reviewed by experts.
I forget how they internally switch the machines, I read but dont recall but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, it does not convert the voltage from 120 or 240. There is good reason not to fool with the adapters, cut cords and wire on ends. The 240 adapter is specifically designed to allow these light machines with light cords to be used on 50A welder circuits. At 120V the machine relies on the circuit breaker for short circuit protection, its not designed to be wired direct to 240.
Machine like Hobart 190, Linc 180 migs have heavier cord and 50A end rated for this.

/ Tooliom Welder, And Odd Ways To Provide A Cord to Adapt to 240V #9  
The 120 to other voltage adapters are legal, this one is not, some flea import scheme with no markings. its a 30 to 20. The only legal ones from 50 are to other 50 and from 50 to 30 travel trailer due to the fact the trailer has sufficient cord for short circuit and additional breakers. Its kind of like a power strip, has 14 wire with multiple outlets, can be plugged in to 20A but has a thermal device added to protect itself. The slight difference being that that little thremal is thermal and not short circuit which is still provided by the breaker.
The 30 to 50 Dale posed is legal, input is smaller than the recept. The comment from Hobart about voiding warranty is not really complete. Should also say dangerous. In reality wouldnt be an issue to cut off and install a 120/20 end (maybe even a 30). Not suggesting that, only for theory but never should have a 240 end hard wired to a machine designed for MVP. Might be ok with 30A breaker added but not really a diy type of thing at any rate.

Attachments

• adapt 30.JPG
    adapt 30.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 111
Last edited:
   / Tooliom Welder, And Odd Ways To Provide A Cord to Adapt to 240V #10  
My Miller Multimatic 200 uses the exact same set up.
They come out of the same box and the wire off the same spool as the Hobart. The 240V models use the same cord and plug as the Stickmate came with for decades. Only ones use different is hi duty cycle units, 250+ migs like 251, now 255.

Last edited: