Toothbar on or off??

Anonymous Poster

I have been doing a lot of grading of my property lately. My technique is to make several passes with my boxscraper to create piles of dirt that I scoop up with my FEL. This creates pretty loose soil and some rocks but it seems like my bucket doesn't get even 1/3 full when I make a pass with the FEL. I was wondering it just a flat edge on the bucket would be more efficient that the edge created with the toothbar. Should I take it off for this type of operation??

chim

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240, Ford 1210
My loader works much better in some applications with the toothbar removed. Of course, when scooping material on a paved surface is one, but it really surprised me how much better it worked when scooping ballast-sized rocks a dumptruck delivered. The +/- 4" rocks would accumulate between the teeth and kinda plow the intended load out of the way. After removing the bar, the bucket could easily be filled to the brim.......................chim

frank_f15

Super Member, Rest in Peace
Tractor
kubota b2400- R4 tires
if i am understanding ur question right , u are having a problem getting a full bucket when trying to scoop up small piles of soil? this is not abnormal. when there is not a lot of substance the loader will want to push instead of fill. don't beleive the tooth bar has anything to do with it. try going into a large pile and lift and curl at the same time, the bucket will fill with or without the tootbar. but maybey i mis understood the question? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
I have individual teeth on my front bucket, as contrasted to a bar. I find it easier to take the teeth off and 'scoop", verses dig. If I'm "digging", then I tend to put/leave the teeth on.

Richard