Top link length adjustment is way too limited

/ Top link length adjustment is way too limited #1  

check

Elite Member
Dorset (cottage country) and Toronto, Ontario, Can
Tractor
2009 Kubota BX25
I just bought a new box spreader from everything attachments.com, and I can't get the top link on my Kubota 3 pt. hitch (which came with my BX25) to shorten enough. In fact, the entire range is only about an inch or so. I tried unscrewing it completely (so I could cut it shorter), but it won't come out.

Do I have to go out and buy another top link with a greater range of adjustment?

Thanks, guys - any help would be much appreciated.

James

/ Top link length adjustment is way too limited #2  
Sounds like something is not right. Should have alot more range than one inch. Went out and measured mine and the range is 22" - 13 3/4" for a total range of 8 1/4".

/ Top link length adjustment is way too limited #3  
You do know the top link unscrew on the both the top of the top link and the bottom...where it connects to the tractor and where it connects to the attachment....? You might be just unscrewing one side of it..? but even that should have a lot more than just 1 in. of adjustment...post back.

/ Top link length adjustment is way too limited
Thanks for the measurement Deano, and Brin yes I did know that it adjusted from both ends. It just seems that it's stuck. Will try again tomorrow with some lubricant when I go back up to the cottage and keep you all posted.

Meanwhile, my new box spreader works very nicely!

James

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 493
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    588.7 KB · Views: 694
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    964.2 KB · Views: 522
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    863.1 KB · Views: 512
   / Top link length adjustment is way too limited #5  
Looks like you bottomed the adjustment at the tractor end. The turnbuckle should have equal amounts of threads showing on both sides.

Take the toplink off, run the threaded end on the tractor side out till the amount of thread matches the implement end.

/ Top link length adjustment is way too limited
Looks like you bottomed the adjustment at the tractor end. The turnbuckle should have equal amounts of threads showing on both sides.

Take the toplink off, run the threaded end on the tractor side out till the amount of thread matches the implement end.

Tried that - it seems to be stuck at that end as well.

Note that, if you look close, you will see a couple of little black nipples on the female side (the tractor end). They actually have little slots in them, and I am wondering if they are some sort of limiting screw. Will try a screw driver in there tomorrow.

/ Top link length adjustment is way too limited #7  
My Kubota doesn't have that gold piece that hooks onto the tractor end of the top link. If it was me I would remove the link and try to adjust each end individually. If/ when both move freely I would adjust them so both were screwed in as far as they go. From that point when ever turning the center section I would make sure that both ends couldn't rotate.

/ Top link length adjustment is way too limited #8  
It looks to me like the tractor end is screwed in all the way and the box blade end is screwed out all the way.

If they are truly stuck I would clamp the center section in a vice and turn each side individually with a cheater pipe through the ends. Penetrating oil is your friend and I've even had to apply heat to a stuck top link before to get the ends to turn properly.

/ Top link length adjustment is way too limited #9  
Tried that - it seems to be stuck at that end as well.

Note that, if you look close, you will see a couple of little black nipples on the female side (the tractor end). They actually have little slots in them, and I am wondering if they are some sort of limiting screw. Will try a screw driver in there tomorrow.

The little plugs you are looking at are there so you can knock out a rollpin. That is what keeps you from unscrewing all the way. Also there should be a grease fitting in the middle of the top link. You do not adjust my screwing on one end at a time. Adjustment is made by ends hooked up and you turn the center.

/ Top link length adjustment is way too limited #10  
first of all -- the gold bracket is on upside down and bent. Its not supposed to fit on the body of toplink- only the bolt end. Second, your toplink end is screwed in all the way on tractor end, and other end is out too far. Third - the toplink bar is supposed to be on the other way with the little loop on outside of toplink housing away from the tractor. Take top link off tractor, loosen the nut and thread it all the way to end, screw in the end that is too far out so its even with the other end and then put back in tractor. The loop is for the screwdriver to turn a stuck toplink and to hook up the safty chain to from the pto shaft.