Toro 4000D Mower to Multipurpose

/ Toro 4000D Mower to Multipurpose #1  

gulfstatessystems

Tractor
Toro 4000D, Toro 580D, Toro 323D, Toro 345
New to this site and my 1st post - be gentle :). I have an old Toro 580D (80hp) hydrostatic batwing mower, planning to remove the mower units and add a front-end loader. That phase should not be too difficult - the mower has lift valve for 3 cylinders currently, I'll use them as lift, roll and grab on the loader. The mower decks are powered by 2-20GPM pumps, 1 for the front deck and 1 for the wing decks. I want to utilize these as auxiliary hydraulics similar to a skid steer, where I can run the current front deck, an auger, or stump grinder, etc. by attaching them to the front-end loader again like a skid steer. I may should be posting this under Hydraulics but thought I should start here. The question is - what should I be concerned about?

Thinking that since the decks to not operate when "off" that simply mounting quick connects on the loader may work? That while in "transport" mode the fluid circulates without issue and should even if the circuit is open at the "deck" end. Is this rational thinking?

All thoughts and advice are welcome. Thanks.

/ Toro 4000D Mower to Multipurpose #2  
welcome to tbn.jpg

I will be watching this thread with interest. (y)

Can't help with the hydraulics since the deck was powered with a PTO shaft and I used a separate hydraulic pump on my smaller TORO:
P7222293.JPG

I recommend a Skid Steer Quick Attach:
Bob-Tach Specs.jpg
WRL-APUM-2Tm.jpg

Or a Mini QA:
Dingo Plate. 2.png
TORO QA.PNG

/ Toro 4000D Mower to Multipurpose
Thanks, your post were my inspiration. I have a couple of the 72" variety (323D and 345) and was going to emulate your build, but I also have a couple of larger donors and am eyeing the 580D but the 4000D Reelmaster is probably going to be the choice since I can't see a use for the reels going forward but can always use the 580D to mow with. I'll try to document the build as well as you did, it is going to be slow - weekend project after all the work gets done.

I have a couple of old loaders off tractors and agree with you on the quick hitch method and was planning on using them. Step 1 - remove all the reels and work on the hydraulic plumbing to have a single front connection versus the 5 reels currently and setup the loader connections. The 4000 uses single acting hydraulic cylinders so I need a new valve control but I think it is doable. Going to be fun!

Going to look at your telehandler now for more ideas!

Last edited:
My thoughts on the "aux" hydraulic connection on the loader are marked up. Does anyone see any issues? Thanks in advance.

HydraulicMods.jpg

/ Toro 4000D Mower to Multipurpose #5  
I was hoping that someone with more hydraulic experience would answer.
I think the basic plan looks good.
Do you have the pressure and flow ratings for the reel pump?
You may need to use a flow divider for the loader.

I think I'm going to try putting the loader on the Steer/Lift pump first and see how it works, don't have any specs on that pump - yet. The reel pump is 15 gal/min. at 2700PSI.

I pulled off the front reels and the wing reels today, online now to see the easiest way to remove the center (under the mower). I looked briefly at the hydraulics and it is a lot simpler than the 580 so I am hopeful.

1630721782239.png

/ Toro 4000D Mower to Multipurpose #8  
Don't know about the 4000D, But on the 300 series the steering has priority over deck lift.

That means the loader will stop moving up or down when you turn the steering wheel.

But I guess you could get used to it.

Hope that you are taking pictures. (y)

You are right on the steering circuit having priority but really want full flow on the aux circuit, it is on the low end of skid steer standard aux hydraulics. Planning to document the conversion with pictures. Currently too many projects, Ida hit us and have to replace fencing - wish it was done to help clearing trees and limbs.