Total newbie putting an order together for a PT-1430

/ Total newbie putting an order together for a PT-1430 #1  

Shoresy

Tractor
none
Hello! I have done the hours of research and decided to purchase a PowerTrac. My land is 90 miles away from the factory, so Thursday I drove over for a first hand look and demo. I have up to 20 and 25% hills to mow on 8-10 acres of pasture, so I settled on the PT-1430. It is equipped with a 37hp Kohler gasoline engine, which is the only option for this machine. Now, it's time to put together the equipment package.

I am 68 yo, and have zero experience on anything other than a ZTR mower. This machine looks SAFE to me. I love the simplicity. I think I will be glad that I don't have decades of tractor operating habits to relearn, but we shall see. One of the projects I see myself working on (besides mowing) are raking over another wooded 10 acres I had forestry mulched last year to level out the peaks and valleys, and get rid of the MANY sections of "mulch" that are a big as my forearm, so I am buying a rake.

Another project could be learning to spread gravel on farm roads, probably 6-700 yards long total. The existing roadbed has been prepared(raked and bladed) by a neighbor. I had thought I would hire it done, but I would have hours of fun learning how to do it on my own machine. Which brings me to the bucket questions. I want a grapple and/ or grapple bucket. The 29" utility grapple for this machine looks butt ugly, and looks like two mostly flat(with teeth on the end) sections. Picture a panini press but for tractors.

I am thinking a regular 60" 9 cu. ft bucket, and also a normal looking grapple bucket. I am not sure if the grapple bucket would be ideal for spreading all the gravel I mentioned. The both of them cost $3600, plus $275 extra for teeth, if I wanted them. Having no experience, I have no idea what I may truly need.

I am also wondering if it is worth the trouble and expense to get their "mini hoe" . I don't anticipate backhoe use much if at all, and it only digs 4 feet deep. But that would allow you to dig water lines, etc, if you ever need to. It costs $2300 with a thumb.

There are tree stumps aplenty that need grinding down, so thinking about the stump grinder. And a 72" snow blade with a rubber lip. Gonna buy both the mower and the brush cutter. And probably a winch, because I will get it stuck on purpose just to see how much it takes to mire one up.

So, my biggest questions are buckets and minihoe. What else can I not live without?

Thanks in advance!

/ Total newbie putting an order together for a PT-1430 #2  
Welcome to TBN!

Yes, PTs are different than typical tractors, in lots of great ways. Two items of advice: keep both feet on both pedals at all times, and wear your safety belt.

To me, the "hard to live without" is a very local/personal call. Personally, I do a cost/benefit on the cost to rent / hire it out / buy, and go from there. For me, some items had single jobs that have more than paid for the attachment. (For me, the trencher, post driver and the 4N1 bucket were all one job and more than paid for attachments.) Others like the light materials bucket, are daily drivers and items that I can't live without. Some like the pallet forks, brush cutter / root tiller are items that I use a few times a year, but invaluable when I do.

As you live close to the factory, if you decide to get another attachment in the future, the shipping cost won't be much...

On my 1445 for my uses, the larger (light materials) bucket (24cu.ft. for me, 18cu.ft. For the 1430) gets a ton of use. I can load mine more than 2/3rds full of gravel, which will make quick work of spreading base rock/gravel on your road. I also have the 4n1 bucket which is much quicker at digging into hard soils. I think that the trencher is an underrated tool for excavation. It is much faster at digging ditches for running pipes and conduit, and quite effective at cutting into hillsides for rapid removal of the soil with a bucket.

I would encourage you to think about a 12V winch or a come-along for being stuck, as you would be dead in the water if the engine dies on you. They are also much cheaper. If you plan on winching trees out, or some other use, that is different. I haven't needed one.

If your acreage is free of surface rocks, the brush cutter may do an ok job of redistributing the forest mulch. I wouldn't try it if there are rocks on the surface.

All the best,

Peter

Last edited:
   / Total newbie putting an order together for a PT-1430
Welcome to TBN!

Yes, PTs are different than typical tractors, it lots of great ways. Two items of advice: keep both feet on both pedals at all times, and wear your safety belt.

To me, the "hard to live without" is a very local/personal call. Personally, I do a cost/benefit on the cost to rent / hire it out / buy, and go from there. For me, some items had single jobs that have more than paid for the attachment. (For me, the trencher, post driver and the 4N1 bucket were all one job and more than paid for attachments.) Others like the light materials bucket, are daily drivers and items that I can't live without. Some like the pallet forks, brush cutter / root tiller are items that I use a few times a year, but invaluable when I do.

As you live close to the factory, if you decide to get another attachment in the future, the shipping cost won't be much...

On my 1445 for my uses, the larger (light materials) bucket (24cu.ft. for me, 18cu.ft. For the 1430) gets a ton of use. I can load mine more than 2/3rds full of gravel, which will make quick work of spreading base rock/gravel on your road. I also have the 4n1 bucket which is much quicker at digging into hard soils. I think that the trencher is an underrated tool for excavation. It is much faster at digging ditches for running pipes and conduit, and quite effective at cutting into hillsides for rapid removal of the soil with a bucket.

I would encourage you to think about a 12V winch or a come-along for being stuck, as you would be dead in the water if the engine dies on you. They are also much cheaper. If you plan on winching trees out, or some other use, that is different. I haven't needed one.

If your acreage is free of surface rocks, the brush cutter may do an ok job of redistributing the forest mulch. I wouldn't try it if there are rocks on the surface.

All the best,

Peter
Thank you! There is a lot to unpack and consider in your post, and it was very helpful!

/ Total newbie putting an order together for a PT-1430 #4  
Implements really depend upon individual needs.

I would buy a gas powered Portable Winch instead.

While not their mini-hoe, I use a fabricated swinging mini-hoe with thumb a lot for firewood, moving things etc. I also have a fixed mini-hoe that digs 5' deep but I rarely use that one.

A 4-in-1 bucket is something I wished I had. I do have their grapple bucket (rock bucket with teeth and grapple) but I rarely use that after getting the swinging mini-hoe.

Pallet forks, light material bucket, and lifting boom I use a lot. The forks, swinging mini-hoe, and bucket were fabricated by Lackender. I use a Lackender 3 pt hitch adapter to mount a traditional boom, rake, and box blade.

I adapt traditional snow plows to use with the PT.

Ken

Implements really depend upon individual needs.

I would buy a gas powered Portable Winch instead.

While not their mini-hoe, I use a fabricated swinging mini-hoe with thumb a lot for firewood, moving things etc. I also have a fixed mini-hoe that digs 5' deep but I rarely use that one.

A 4-in-1 bucket is something I wished I had. I do have their grapple bucket (rock bucket with teeth and grapple) but I rarely use that after getting the swinging mini-hoe.

Pallet forks, light material bucket, and lifting boom I use a lot. The forks, swinging mini-hoe, and bucket were fabricated by Lackender. I use a Lackender 3 pt hitch adapter to mount a traditional boom, rake, and box blade.

I adapt traditional snow plows to use with the PT.

Ken
Nice link! That swinging mini hoe looks sweet. I will look into that further. Curious as to why you prefer a gas powered winch? I need to read up a bit on the 4 in1 bucket, I had never considered one. I really don't know much about their uses. Thank You, Ken

/ Total newbie putting an order together for a PT-1430 #6  
Send some time and read old post on this site for the Power Tracs (you will not be able to get comparative information off this one post). A lot of valuable info!!!

Remember when you say the backhoe "It costs $2300 with a thumb", you will get some or all of it back when you sell it in the end, and having any attachments make the expensive machine more useful. I have 3 PTs and a front hoe for 2 of them. Never dug a trench, but dug out a lot of rocks, and lifted a lot of firewood (especially 2'+dia logs up to the splitter). I have a titan brand and it works as a good grapple for small heavy items. I would bet the hoes are worth more today, used, then when I bought them new and I always use them.

A light material bucket is somewhat harder to dig into a pile because it is larger. The smaller bucket/teeth will have a much better shot, if that is what you need to do. The large bucket makes a better wheel barrel (which my wife likes).
I don't like 4 in 1 buckets, I have one only because the 1460 can't quite dump into the screening plant, so I spill the bucket by opening the 4 in 1 for more height. I feel they don't work that well as a grapple, just by opinion. You need a bucket with teeth to dig and a straight edge for snow.

A lot of us had adapters made to change from PT to universal skid steer, that opens your options to a wide range of attachment manufactures. I love my Ryans rotating log grapple!

I think the PT winch needs to be powered out, most brands free spool to pull the cable out. Something to think about. Then you most likely will have some other heavy attachment on, so you will have to pull that off and put the winch on to get unstuck. You may want to have a second cheap tractor with a 3pt to run a logging winch and grader blade You can get Ford 8n tractors reasonable money.

Now, on a negative side, just my opinion, but times have changed and PT hasn't. If you are accident prone, this may not be the machine for you. They have basically zero safety features. It will all be on you. Stuff like if I leave the seat on my Kubota with the PTO on, a siren goes off. My smallest PT will even allow you to start the engine with the mower in the run position, and it starts spinning as the engine starts ready or not!

Good luck and be safe!

Send some time and read old post on this site for the Power Tracs (you will not be able to get comparative information off this one post). A lot of valuable info!!!

Remember when you say the backhoe "It costs $2300 with a thumb", you will get some or all of it back when you sell it in the end, and having any attachments make the expensive machine more useful. I have 3 PTs and a front hoe for 2 of them. Never dug a trench, but dug out a lot of rocks, and lifted a lot of firewood (especially 2'+dia logs up to the splitter). I have a titan brand and it works as a good grapple for small heavy items. I would bet the hoes are worth more today, used, then when I bought them new and I always use them.

A light material bucket is somewhat harder to dig into a pile because it is larger. The smaller bucket/teeth will have a much better shot, if that is what you need to do. The large bucket makes a better wheel barrel (which my wife likes).
I don't like 4 in 1 buckets, I have one only because the 1460 can't quite dump into the screening plant, so I spill the bucket by opening the 4 in 1 for more height. I feel they don't work that well as a grapple, just by opinion. You need a bucket with teeth to dig and a straight edge for snow.

A lot of us had adapters made to change from PT to universal skid steer, that opens your options to a wide range of attachment manufactures. I love my Ryans rotating log grapple!

I think the PT winch needs to be powered out, most brands free spool to pull the cable out. Something to think about. Then you most likely will have some other heavy attachment on, so you will have to pull that off and put the winch on to get unstuck. You may want to have a second cheap tractor with a 3pt to run a logging winch and grader blade You can get Ford 8n tractors reasonable money.

Now, on a negative side, just my opinion, but times have changed and PT hasn't. If you are accident prone, this may not be the machine for you. They have basically zero safety features. It will all be on you. Stuff like if I leave the seat on my Kubota with the PTO on, a siren goes off. My smallest PT will even allow you to start the engine with the mower in the run position, and it starts spinning as the engine starts ready or not!

Good luck and be safe!
Thanks for the response. I am definitely not accident prone, never had a stitch or a broken bone in my life. Any accidents would most likely be caused by inexperience, and there is only one way to overcome that. But point taken. I will be safe as milk.

/ Total newbie putting an order together for a PT-1430 #8  
Welcome to TBN! (y)

If you go with any PowerTrac - GET THE PALLET FORKS! ;)
Or get some other forks and adapt them to your PT. They are relatively inexpensive and very handy to move logs, branches, large pieces of firewood, skids, large rocks, etc. Just plain handy to have around.

Get an extra quick attach plate, or have someone manufacture one for you. Eventually you’ll find some odd attachment that you’ll want to convert to PT use, or you’ll think of something you’d like mounted on the PT. I put a 2” receiver on a spare plate and have put a few things on there. My most useful is just a ring hitch that I slip a chain into and hang some logging tongs on. I can adjust the chain to either be short for lifting then dragging logs, or extend the chain out 12’ to reach into places to drag stuff out.

The rest of this applies to my PT425, so just some rambling…

I’d skip a winch for now. PTs winch, as someone mentioned and I don’t recall either, may not be free-spooling out. That means you’d have to have someone pull the cable while someone else runs the control. I may be wrong, but that would be a bummer for me. For now, I’d get some chains and/or a few cables, some straps and snatch blocks, to use to pull things out by driving the PT forward or reverse. For getting stuck… I’ve been stuck once in 21 years when I drove downhill and over/fell off a hidden log that the uphill side was packed with dirt. Kinda like driving off a ledge. The machine got high centered like turtle on a pyramid. Had to walk back to the truck and get a chainsaw and shovel to dig out the log ends and cut the log.

If you’re pretty sure you’re gonna get stuck, I’d start with a cheap Harbor Freight electric recovery winch on a plate that you could strap to the front or rear of the PT and some form of cables with connectors. They aren’t meant for continuous use like logging, but are great to get you unstuck.

Buckets…. I have a large light material bucket and a small rock bucket with teeth. The large buckets are invaluable for moving large amounts of lose material fast! But they don’t dig well. The smaller rock buckets are stouter, stronger, and the teeth make all the difference for pushing into things like 2” and larger rocks, firmer soil, etc… The PT teeth are blunt (at least mine were) and disappointing. However, someone suggested grinding a bevel on the tips… game changer! They are great once you grind a point on them.

Looking back on my purchase, I’d go for the grapple bucket instead of the small rock bucket with teeth. On the 400 series it’s the same bucket with a grapple and teeth. So, it would do the same function as the small rock bucket with teeth with the additional benefit of a grapple.

I have a 60” finish mower which is fine for my needs. Makes for a nice lawn. There are better lawn mowers, but I think it does a fine job if I keep the blades sharp.

I have a 48” brush hog. It’s my scariest attachment. Destroys everything in it’s path up to anything it can push over. Sometimes that’s too much. 2” oaks are about where I draw the line. What’s nice is you can shut off the blades, raise it 5’ in the air, smash down a large bush or shrub, then back up, fire it up, and destroy it. You can keep the blades spinning and raise it as well, and I’ve got videos of me doing that, but I find it very dangerous. As with anything, hearing and eye protection is a must, as is a face shield like you’d use for chainsawing is highly recommended. Keep everyone 100 yards away. The thing is powerful and dangerous.

I have PT’s 60” power angle snowplow with wheels. Love it!

If I had it to do over again, or maybe when I retire, I’d get the trencher, mini-ho with thumb, and tiller. I base that all on the folks here that have demonstrated just how useful they are.

Good luck in your search. I envy you in that you’re only 90 miles from the factory. Makes shipping costs unneeded, as you can just pick things up.

/ Total newbie putting an order together for a PT-1430 #9  
I purchased the PT 1430 about six months ago. It is incredibly useful and the right size/power for around here, so i.m.h.o. you will not regret it.

The utility grapple and the brush hog are must haves. I've used the grapple to carry stuff around, and also to rip out and move a ton (or two) of brush, scrag, and small branches. Then used the brush hog to "nip" at a pile or two the size of a small car (stop, raise, drop about half the front on the target, start) and turned it into dust like it never existed - it looks like the forest floor afterwards. No burn pile to tend is a good thing.

The brush hog does not have a rear guard section on it, so I never run it while in the air because it will throw debris and rocks backwards at you and your PT. You can stop it, raise it, drop it on your target, start it, and it will "eat stuff for lunch". Awesome. And this way it will tilt forward/back about 30 degrees for a ditch or a bank. It also works great for pasture mowing if you don't care too much about a perfect cut.

Among it's other uses, the 4-in-1 bucket is great for spreading gravel because you can crack it open while moving and drop an even patch.

Then I use the box blade to smooth and maintain the gravel driveway. Don't bother trying to finesse it, just drag it backwards like you don't care and it does a nice job.

The mini hoe is a bit weird because, rather than swing, you need to steer to move it left/right, but it's been OK to create some drainage.

It turns on a dime, has more than enough power for around here, and it reminds me of my little Toyota 4x4 because it wheels great over uneven terrain - I'm thinking about slapping a Toyota emblem on it. :D

Enjoy!

Welcome to TBN! (y)

If you go with any PowerTrac - GET THE PALLET FORKS! ;)
Or get some other forks and adapt them to your PT. They are relatively inexpensive and very handy to move logs, branches, large pieces of firewood, skids, large rocks, etc. Just plain handy to have around.

Get an extra quick attach plate, or have someone manufacture one for you. Eventually you’ll find some odd attachment that you’ll want to convert to PT use, or you’ll think of something you’d like mounted on the PT. I put a 2” receiver on a spare plate and have put a few things on there. My most useful is just a ring hitch that I slip a chain into and hang some logging tongs on. I can adjust the chain to either be short for lifting then dragging logs, or extend the chain out 12’ to reach into places to drag stuff out.

The rest of this applies to my PT425, so just some rambling…

I’d skip a winch for now. PTs winch, as someone mentioned and I don’t recall either, may not be free-spooling out. That means you’d have to have someone pull the cable while someone else runs the control. I may be wrong, but that would be a bummer for me. For now, I’d get some chains and/or a few cables, some straps and snatch blocks, to use to pull things out by driving the PT forward or reverse. For getting stuck… I’ve been stuck once in 21 years when I drove downhill and over/fell off a hidden log that the uphill side was packed with dirt. Kinda like driving off a ledge. The machine got high centered like turtle on a pyramid. Had to walk back to the truck and get a chainsaw and shovel to dig out the log ends and cut the log.

If you’re pretty sure you’re gonna get stuck, I’d start with a cheap Harbor Freight electric recovery winch on a plate that you could strap to the front or rear of the PT and some form of cables with connectors. They aren’t meant for continuous use like logging, but are great to get you unstuck.

Buckets…. I have a large light material bucket and a small rock bucket with teeth. The large buckets are invaluable for moving large amounts of lose material fast! But they don’t dig well. The smaller rock buckets are stouter, stronger, and the teeth make all the difference for pushing into things like 2” and larger rocks, firmer soil, etc… The PT teeth are blunt (at least mine were) and disappointing. However, someone suggested grinding a bevel on the tips… game changer! They are great once you grind a point on them.

Looking back on my purchase, I’d go for the grapple bucket instead of the small rock bucket with teeth. On the 400 series it’s the same bucket with a grapple and teeth. So, it would do the same function as the small rock bucket with teeth with the additional benefit of a grapple.

I have a 60” finish mower which is fine for my needs. Makes for a nice lawn. There are better lawn mowers, but I think it does a fine job if I keep the blades sharp.

I have a 48” brush hog. It’s my scariest attachment. Destroys everything in it’s path up to anything it can push over. Sometimes that’s too much. 2” oaks are about where I draw the line. What’s nice is you can shut off the blades, raise it 5’ in the air, smash down a large bush or shrub, then back up, fire it up, and destroy it. You can keep the blades spinning and raise it as well, and I’ve got videos of me doing that, but I find it very dangerous. As with anything, hearing and eye protection is a must, as is a face shield like you’d use for chainsawing is highly recommended. Keep everyone 100 yards away. The thing is powerful and dangerous.

I have PT’s 60” power angle snowplow with wheels. Love it!

If I had it to do over again, or maybe when I retire, I’d get the trencher, mini-ho with thumb, and tiller. I base that all on the folks here that have demonstrated just how useful they are.

Good luck in your search. I envy you in that you’re only 90 miles from the factory. Makes shipping costs unneeded, as you can just pick things up.
Heard on the pallet forks and extra quick attach plate. Excellent ideas. I think I can live without a winch, because I can drive my pickup to within 20 feet of the wet area, and pull it out with a logging chain if I need to. You gave me some good ideas! Thank You.