Total welding newie here

/ Total welding newie here #41  
Shield Arc using a machine one time and failing (while in some cases is a good observation) is not useful here. These 120v welders do a great job and anybody with experience knows it. They are great for the OP, who is an admitted newbie, and just wants to get started.

In my opinion Shield should have admitted his extremely limited experience up front rather than dragging all the readers along for a ride.
Sodo what do you think happened all those times I got sent to the test booth? Never even seen their welders before, but expected to pass a welding test. If I failed the welding test, I was unemployed right then and there. On the job I might use 4 or 5 different welding machines in a day.
Your theory doesn't hold water!

/ Total welding newie here #42  
After reading about your situation I think a 120v machine is perfect for what you are doing. As was suggested welding with gas is nice but if you plan on taking your welder with you or doing any welding outside in the wind flux core is the way to go IMO. Dragging a bottle around for small jobs is a PITA. You can weld thicker metal if necessary by making multiple passes, just like welders with other machined do all the time. I doubt you will run into probelms with duty cycle for hobby welding, don't let that concern you. If you only plan on welding in 1 place a 240v welder with shielding gas is great. If you need to move around it's a terrible setup becsue the bottle is a pain to move and you have to have an electrician add 240v outlets and likely purchase/make a really expensive extension cord. Compare that to grabbing the welder and going anywhere you have a 120v outlet and it's not even debatable which is more useful for small projects around the house.

I recently taught a family member some basic welding. I bought him a simple hobart 125 EZ and a Miller auto darkening helmet. Cost me about $400 but in no time he was able to do basic welding. A similar setup is what I would recommend to you. The auto darkening helmet is a huge help when learning. I"d get a basic helmet from a reputable brand. Dont' trust your eyes to a cummins tools, harbor freight, etc type helmet. It's just not worth it to save a few bucks and possibly hurt your eyes trying to save $40.

I would also sugest Everlast. I've been dealing with Mark on a machine purchase and can tell you he is great to work with. I just wish Amazon would screw up the pricing so I can get an even better deal than TBN pricing he ofers here.

/ Total welding newie here #43  
Agreed ----- almost 100%. You wrote "will produce", I'd say "can produce".

Shield Arc using a machine one time and failing (while in some cases is a good observation) is not useful here. These 120v welders do a great job and anybody with experience knows it. They are great for the OP, who is an admitted newbie, and just wants to get started.

In my opinion Shield should have admitted his extremely limited experience up front rather than dragging all the readers along for a ride. Not that I don't like rides, just was wondering how you might help a newbie telling her about duty cycles, and that someone else tacks all his welds so he never has to stop etc etc etc ?.. that's useless info to a newbie.

All I can say is

OMG:laughing::confused2:

I do not know you but you certainly do not know Shield Arc and his background:ashamed:

/ Total welding newie here #44  
Well he said he (tried and) couldn't get a 12v Hobart to weld 14ga?……..or was that 12ga. I suspect Shield Arc has never used a 120v welder PERIOD. Just a guess…..but it makes sense in this case, why would he ever be near a 120v welder other than walking past one at the store?

It's OK to never have used one - but why make up a fake story? Now newbies are going to conclude that a 12v Hobart can't even weld 14ga. (=.083") (or is it 12ga? =.109") ----- this is false. The truth is that its limitations occur around 1/4" (=.25") dependent on the size and shape of the workpiece. You can even weld 3/8" very well, depending on the workpiece size/shape and if you know what you are doing.

Why advise a newbie against the PERFECT newbie machine? It doesn't make sense, it doesn't help ANYONE to berate a 120v welder simply because you already have pro machines. This is a hobby welding forum, if you can't help newbies (here) you don't really have much to offer (here). Just IMHO.

I think he's way too far down the road to help a newbie. Right out of the gate he's telling her .035 wire size. Newbie doesn't even have helmet, and Shield has already advanced to recommended 100% CO2 for better penetration. Duty cycle? - it has to cool down for 2 minutes every 8…... and this is limiting? It's going to be years before a newbie can weld for 8 minutes continuous! Or even 8 minutes in a whole day.

This doesn't help Everlast either - people who buy newbie machines will outgrow them (if necessary) and it looks like Everlast has a great entry level machine at a great price. I bet newbies are scared to post here (in this hobby welding forum) because they ask a BBgun question and will get a Howitzer response, guaranteed, which scares away all the other members who could actually "help".

All I can say is Sheesh!
which is about the same as OMG :D

Last edited:
   / Total welding newie here #45  
You know Sodo you need to work on your reading comprehension. I never once said a word about duty cycle. That was Arc weld, who is a very knowledgeable welder!
If you don't think I help people here, why don't you stick around and help with your vast amount of knowledge with hobby welding machines?
You remind me of Soundguy, when it comes to welding you two would be better off to read more and post less.:rolleyes:

/ Total welding newie here #46  
You remind me of Soundguy, when it comes to welding you two would be better off to read more and post less.:rolleyes:

I suspect that most people are "posting less" because this is what happens when they ask a question, or try to help somebody from a "normal" point of view.

I guess Arc beat you to Duty Cycle, sorry. I don't know what Soundguy writes, you got me on that one.

Actual, truthful experience from a 'maintenance' perspective is certainly useful on a "tractor welding forums" & "hobby welding forums" & "tractor welding forums". People cant use vast knowledge that's held out so high above that they will never get there, never have the eqpt, etc. They want to learn what they can do, now, with the welder they have.

I'm sure "you've forgotten more than I will ever know". Trouble is, what you've forgotten is what a hobby forum needs to know. (IMHO…..)

/ Total welding newie here #47  
I suspect that most people are "posting less" because this is what happens when they ask a question, or try to help somebody from a "normal" point of view.
Why don't you start a poll to see who is more helpful here, you or I? :licking:

/ Total welding newie here #48  
I may have posted 2 or 3 helpful posts, mostly saying the same thing, that newbie welders could learn something, if others weren't afraid to post.

You have 3,800 posts of which I'll guess 38 = 1% were useful to the same 2 or 3 pro welders who already knew it (yourself included). You'd kill me in a poll.

Anyway, beating a dead horse here….

/ Total welding newie here #49  
I'm a newbie and I can tell you that I regularly learn from Shield Arc's posts. Yours... not so much.

/ Total welding newie here #50  
better keep an eye on those duty cycles and by all means switch to 100% CO2 ASAP!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

sorry just kidding, couldn't resist. Projects is where you really learn.