Towing a 12K rated trailer in Pa

/ Towing a 12K rated trailer in Pa #1  

Guesseral

Veteran Member
Tractor
Montana R4944, Ford Jubilee, Ford 621, Ford 841
Does anyone know what the requirements are to tow a 12K trailer in Pa? I am looking to buy a dump trailer to haul firewood and other stuff, but i want it long enough to haul my tractor (montana R4944) to the site to load firewood into the trailer. I need the trailer to be 14' to get the tractor w/FEL on the trailer, I guess I could go with a 12' trailer and put the bucket up over the front but in any event the only ones I can find in that length are rated for 12K. I would like to find one the right length and a 10K rating because I guess there isn't any problem if the trailer is 10K or less but I don't think they make one with that rating. Well in any event I have a 2005 Dodge 2500 4x4 quad cab. I know it will haul what I want because I have done it before, but from what I understand I am not legal something to do with a combination license. Any help out there? :confused:

/ Towing a 12K rated trailer in Pa #2  
If the combined 'registered' gross weight of both vehicles exceeds 26,001 lbs, 'and' the trailer is in excess of 10,000 lbs you would need a non commercial class A.

Doesn't sound like this is the case.

/ Towing a 12K rated trailer in Pa #3  
A quick call to the local DMV will get you the requirements.

gernerally speaking over 10K all axles need brakes.

10K and up you will need a Cat V hitch or cat IV with an equalizing hitch.

If the truck you pullign with is callled as a road tractor might require a CDL of sorts, if just a pickup you should be good to go.

/ Towing a 12K rated trailer in Pa #4  
You should not need anything special. I would get a 14K trailer if I were you though in that length. The trailer is going to weigh in the 4,200# range empty leaving you with plenty of payload. On a 10K or 12K trailer it will be a little light on load capacity.

Chris

/ Towing a 12K rated trailer in Pa #5  
Your trucks GVWR is around 9,000 lbs so even a 14k trailer would keep you well under 26k combined GVWR so you would not need a CDL.

Dodge Towing Guide - By Vehicle

/ Towing a 12K rated trailer in Pa #6  
If the combined .... gross weight (rating) of both vehicles exceeds 26,001 lbs, 'and' the trailer is in excess of 10,000 lbs (GVWR) you would need a ..... commercial class A.

Doesn't sound like this is the case.

Fixed it. ;)

/ Towing a 12K rated trailer in Pa #7  
If the truck you pullign with is callled as a road tractor might require a CDL of sorts, if just a pickup you should be good to go.

That is a bit misleading. If the pickup was an F450 it would have the same drivers license class requirements as a tandem axle Kenworth. Same if the trailer was larger, like a 20k GVWR for example, the DL requirements would be the same for his 3/4 ton as a "road tractor".

/ Towing a 12K rated trailer in Pa
The Pa regulations on the site are very bad. They really don't tell you anything other than what you don't really want to know! The whole site runs you round in circle's but never give you the information you were really looking for. Beleive me I have tried!