Towing a 12K rated trailer in Pa

/ Towing a 12K rated trailer in Pa #11  
The Pa regulations on the site are very bad. They really don't tell you anything other than what you don't really want to know! The whole site runs you round in circle's but never give you the information you were really looking for. Beleive me I have tried!

You may find this helpful.

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/fs-cdl.pdf

PennDOT Driver and Vehicle Services - Classes of Licenses

Based on those 2 links you do not need a class A (combination) license.

We may have misunderstood you though, are you asking about a combination registration?

/ Towing a 12K rated trailer in Pa #12  
The Pa regulations on the site are very bad. They really don't tell you anything other than what you don't really want to know! The whole site runs you round in circle's but never give you the information you were really looking for. Beleive me I have tried!

Here is were you want to go it is buried in their pages but I had to find it for a friend with a motor home <26,001 lbs
But it is in plain English.
PennDOT Driver and Vehicle Services - Classes of Licenses

You would be in class A or B non commercial as long as you don't get compensated for the "work" that would put you in to commerical and a whole different can of worms

What Class of Driver's License Do You Need?

In Pennsylvania, driver痴 licenses are issued specifically for the class and type of vehicle you operate. Therefore, the class of driver痴 license you should have depends specifically upon the type of vehicle you operate. Generally speaking, the majority of applicants for a Pennsylvania driver痴 license will be operators of regular passenger vehicles, pick-up trucks or vans.
Classes of Driver's Licenses

Non-commercial Driver's Licenses

• CLASS A (minimum age 18): Required to operate any combination of vehicles with a gross weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, where the vehicle(s) being towed is/are in excess of 10,000 pounds. Example: Recreational Vehicle, when the towing vehicle is rated at 11,000 pounds and the vehicle towed is rated at 15,500 pounds (total combination weight of 26,500 pounds).
  • CLASS B (minimum age 18): Required to operate any single vehicle rated in excess of 26,000 pounds. Example: Motor homes rated at 26,001 pounds or more.
  • CLASS C (minimum age 16): A Class C driver痴 license will be issued to persons 16 years of age or older, who have demonstrated their qualifications to operate any vehicles, except those requiring a Class M qualification, and who do not meet the definitions of Class A or Class B. Any firefighter or member of a rescue or emergency squad who is the holder of a Class C driver痴 license and who has a certificate of authorization from a fire chief or head of the rescue or emergency squad will be authorized to operate any fire or emergency vehicle registered to that fire department, rescue or emergency squad or municipality(emergency use only). The holder of a Class C license is authorized to drive a motor-driven cycle with an automatic transmission and cylinder capacity of 50 CCs or less or a 3-wheeled motorcycle with an enclosed cab.
  • CLASS M (minimum age 16): A Class M driver痴 license will be issued to those persons 16 years of age or older who have demonstrated their ability to operate a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle. If a person is qualified to operate only a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle, he/she will be issued a Class M driver痴 license. If you test on a motor-driven cycle, an "8" restriction will appear on your driver痴 license. This restriction prohibits you from operating a motorcycle. If you test on a 3-wheeled motorcycle, a "9" restriction will appear on your driver痴 license. This restriction prohibits you from operating a 2-wheeled motorcycle. Pennsylvania Motorcycle Operator痴 Manual (PUB 147) or the Mopeds, Motor-Driver Cycles and Motorcycles Fact Sheet located on PennDOT痴 Driver and Vehicle Services website in the Motorcycle Information Center.

Commercial Driver's Licenses - Classes A, B or C

• CLASS A (minimum age 18): A Class A license is issued to those persons 18 years of age or older who have demonstrated their qualifications to operate any combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the gross vehicle weight rating of the vehicle or vehicles being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds. The holder of a Class A license is qualified to operate vehicles for which a Class B or Class C license is issued. Where required, appropriate endorsements must be obtained.
  • CLASS B (minimum age 18): A Class B license is issued to those persons 18 years of age or older who have demonstrated their qualifications to operate any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more or any such vehicle towing a vehicle having a gross vehicle weight rating of not more than 10,000 pounds. The holder of a Class B license is qualified to operate vehicles for which a Class C license is issued. Where required, appropriate endorsements must be obtained.
  • CLASS C (minimum age 18): A Class C license is issued to those persons 18 years of age or older who have demonstrated their qualifications to operate any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of not more than 26,000 pounds or any combination of vehicles, except combination vehicles involving motorcycles, that does not meet the definition of a Class A or Class B vehicle. Where required, appropriate endorsements must be obtained.
NOTE: You must be 21 years of age or older to operate a Commercial Motor Vehicle on an interstate (traveling between two or more states). This applies to ALL classes.
In addition to the CDL classes, there are also special endorsements and restrictions that you must have to drive certain types of commercial vehicles. They are:
Endorsements/Restrictions

Endorsements The following authorizations are required when operating vehicles of the type listed:

H - Required to drive a vehicle with hazardous materials placards (you must be 21 years of age).
N - Required to drive a tank vehicle.
T - Required to drive double and triple trailers.
P - Required to drive a vehicle designed to carry 16 passengers or more including the driver (buses).
S - Required to drive a school bus. Designed to carry 11 passengers or more, including the driver.
X - Represents a combination of the hazardous materials and tank vehicle endorsements (you must be 21 years of age).
Restrictions The following restrictions prohibit you from operating certain type vehicles:

L - Restricts the driver to vehicles not equipped with air brakes.
B - Passenger endorsement restriction cannot drive Class A buses.
C - Passenger endorsement restriction cannot drive Class A or B buses.

/ Towing a 12K rated trailer in Pa #13  
You would be in class A or B non commercial as long as you don't get compensated for the "work" that would put you in to commerical and a whole different can of worms.

No he wouldn't.

He falls under a Non commercial class C. (CGVWR or GCWR isn't over 26k)

/ Towing a 12K rated trailer in Pa #14  
I don't have the answer either, but I'll throw in what I've learned. I am also looking at purchasing a 12k trailer to haul my TC33 and implements with an F350. With that combination I am under 26,000 lbs, so I don't need a CDL. This is all unconfirmed opinion based on discussions I've had but may point you in the right direction to find the real answers.

The question has nothing to do with the license of the driver, but the registration of the vehicle and trailer. If the trailer is over 10,000 lb, you are required to obtain a 'combination' registration for the truck and trailer together. To get this you need to contact the manufacturer of the tow vehicle with your VIN number and get a letter stating towing capacity of the vehicle. Then you can file for a 'combination' registration throught the state. I'm not sure, but this may also require inspection every 6 months instead of once a year and a medical card to accompany your drivers license, just as is required for vehicles over 17,000 GVW.

I have gottm my letter from Ford, but have not pursued it any further.
Jim

/ Towing a 12K rated trailer in Pa
Yes I was talking about a combination registration, and what would be required to get one.

/ Towing a 12K rated trailer in Pa
Yes I was talking about a combination registration, and what would be required to get one.

/ Towing a 12K rated trailer in Pa #17  
No he wouldn't.

He falls under a Non commercial class C. (CGVWR or GCWR isn't over
26k)

I was trying to make the point the information is there on the web and there are non commercial licenses available in this state if necessary for your weight class.

/ Towing a 12K rated trailer in Pa #18  
Tommu56

Always thinks he knows everything!!!!!!!! He missed the point as always!!!:confused2:

/ Towing a 12K rated trailer in Pa #19  
He missed the point as always!!!:confused2:

How so wise guy?

Nice first post. :rolleyes: Welcome to TBN.

I was trying to make the point the information is there on the web and there are non commercial licenses available in this state if necessary for your weight class.

Were you not saying that he needs a class A or B?:confused:

You would be in class A or B non commercial as long as you don't get compensated for the "work" that would put you in to commerical and a whole different can of worms.

Either way, being compensated or not has little to do with whether you need a commercial or non commercial.

I am a not for hire private carrier but still need a CDL.

/ Towing a 12K rated trailer in Pa #20  
Either way, being compensated or not has little to do with whether you need a commercial or non commercial.
I am a not for hire private carrier but still need a CDL.

So if you are a guy that is in to tractor pulling and have 2 tractors trailer and a F650 and go to tractor pulls and the whole rig weigh's over the magical 26001lbs in PA and that is were the OP resides you can get get a non commercial A class license and save some money any headaches of a CDL.

The same go's for a class A motor home that hits the 26001 mark you can opt for a class b non commercial.

Class C excludes the all the above in Pa.

I grazes over Wisconsin regulations and doesn't appear they give you that option at least in pa you can get a choice.