Towing Capacity of L2501

/ Towing Capacity of L2501 #1  

Rscottcush

Tractor
2020 Kubota L2501 HST
Hey all,
I bought a new Kubota L2501 a few months ago, and it's been a great tool. I need to move my "tiny house" to a new site on my property in a couple days and I was planning to tow it with the tractor drawbar. The tiny house is built on a 16' trailer and weighs something close to 10k pounds I think. I only need to move it a couple hundred yards on old dirt logging roads. There is a decent uphill grade for 100 yards or so though (maybe 5%?). I had assumed it would be no problem to do the move with the tractor, as I moved it last time with my neighbor's old ford tractor which looks significantly smaller. If I'm reading the manual right though (in the specs table under "implement limitations), the L2501 is only rated to tow 2200 pounds!? Anybody have any insight here? Seems like it should be OK to me, but figured it was worth a post to get any advice that might be out there.
Thanks,
Scott

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-12 at 1.01.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-12 at 1.01.54 PM.png
    688.5 KB · Views: 271
   / Towing Capacity of L2501 #2  
Hey all,
I bought a new Kubota L2501 a few months ago, and it's been a great tool. I need to move my "tiny house" to a new site on my property in a couple days and I was planning to tow it with the tractor drawbar. The tiny house is built on a 16' trailer and weighs something close to 10k pounds I think. I only need to move it a couple hundred yards on old dirt logging roads. There is a decent uphill grade for 100 yards or so though (maybe 5%?). I had assumed it would be no problem to do the move with the tractor, as I moved it last time with my neighbor's old ford tractor which looks significantly smaller. If I'm reading the manual right though (in the specs table under "implement limitations), the L2501 is only rated to tow 2200 pounds!? Anybody have any insight here? Seems like it should be OK to me, but figured it was worth a post to get any advice that might be out there.
Thanks,
Scott
I'd be more concerned with stopping/controlling it than pulling it. Pulling stuff can be easy under the right circumstances. Stopping it? Not so much. It's kinda like, "The fall didn't kill him. It was that sudden stop on the ground''

Don't kill yourself or somebody else trying to pull 10k with a tractor, unless it's big tractor. Even, they don't have the brakes or the suspension as a rule for that kind of stuff. I hate to sound that way, honestly. Hate the 'weight police'.

Find a buddy with a decent P/U and have him pull it for you

/ Towing Capacity of L2501 #3  
Attempting to pull 10,000 pounds with a 2,700 pound bare weight tractor, over old logging roads would be imprudent. I think your L2501 will bog down. You won't be able to maneuver in reverse.

12,700/25 horsepower = 508 pounds per horsepower.

12,700/21.5 horsepower at the wheels = 590 pounds per horsepower.

Both loads unreasonable expectations to me.

This is an event where a pump-based HST transmission will be a handicap relative to a solid lockup gear transmission.

SAFETY FIRST!

Last edited:
   / Towing Capacity of L2501 #4  
Yes I would find a buddy with a truck, I'd be afraid of jacking up the HST or as others have said, not being able to stop 10,000lbs. Good luck with the move

/ Towing Capacity of L2501 #5  
Not a great idea on many levels. I have a 400 gallon water tank I pull with my M4 that I won’t pull with my MX because it just feels a little spooky on some of my hills. And that’s not even close to 10k but the MX is twice the weight of your L.

/ Towing Capacity of L2501 #7  
I agree that using your tractor is not a good idea but reading this thread makes me laugh a little.

When I was a kid on the farm my dad made me pull 1000 gal water tank from the water tower to the field about 15 miles one way. I used whatever was available. I remember using one little tractor that was not much bigger than our riding lawnmower. It would spin the tires till I would get it rolling then would take forever to stop. I had the tie rod fall out on one trip and it headed towards the ditch with that 1000 gallons of water pushing me. I managed to get it stopped just before going over the bank.

Dad was more upset about not getting the water on time than me almost biting the dust. :ROFLMAO:

/ Towing Capacity of L2501 #8  
Tractors are far more suitable to be pulling something than to have a loader on them, yet, looking at some posts, people seem so afraid of pulling trailer with tractors. Yes, what OP is asking, is way too much for the tractor and too dangerous as well.

I don't know why Kubota rates the L2501 with only 2200 lbs of towing capacity. That tractor here, would probably get 5500 lbs to 7000 lbs towing rating with brakes.

/ Towing Capacity of L2501 #9  
Ptsg you are correct. I had a customer back when I had my shop that needed me to rebuild his 34' boat trailer. I could not get in my shop and close the door backing it in with my truck. I decided to try my speedex. It is 8 hp and has no brakes. The tongue of that trailer was to heavy and just lifted the front wheels off the ground.

I built a two wheel dolly to carry the tongue and pulled that trailer with no issues with the speedex. 😂 I have always done what I had to but would never recommend anyone else doing what I have done.

/ Towing Capacity of L2501
Hey all,
Thanks for the input! Ok, ok I won't do it! Well, sort of... I do have a pickup that can pull it, it's just that on either end of the move , it's too tight for the truck to fit where it needs to. So think I'll use the tractor for the small amount of flat-ground maneuvering needed get it to where the truck can get to, and then use the truck for the main stretch. Doest that keep both the "safety first" and the "when I was a kid I used to..." crowds happy? ;)
S