Towing Three Balers Behind One Tractor

/ Towing Three Balers Behind One Tractor #11  
The idea might work if you could have everything work off of a gps system so the balers would follow the rake swaths on their own. However, if one baler breaks down then you have two other balers parked as a result. Unless you are short handed for labor it would seem like a better idea to have three tractors just incase a baler breaks down the other two will keep running.

/ Towing Three Balers Behind One Tractor #12  
Mickey_Fx said:
From the looks of the pics, this set-up is being used in an area where yields are low. Up in this neck of the woods, no way would this set-up work. I've seen 125HP tractors struggling to handle the load when bailing timothy. This was using HD freeman sq bailers. They can eat a hellofa lot of hay and you'll see some with a wheel rake at the mouth to help gather up the windrows.

This operator has to be busier than a one legged man in a butt kicking contest trying to keep these 3 bailers lined up.

Interesting pics.

I'd say the operator of that tractor would be "busier than a long-tailed cat in a roomful of rocking chairs".

/ Towing Three Balers Behind One Tractor #13  
If it really was a low yield area, you'd think they'd be better off using a merger, something like a Miller Avalanche. Getting 3 or even 5 rows into one would be no trick. Then follow up with a high capacity baler. The spacing seems to indicate a two-into-one windrow

And moving an Avalanche from field to field would be a lot easier than that setup.

Are those hydraulic motors spinning the flywheels? Bet they have to bring them online one at a time.
Bob

/ Towing Three Balers Behind One Tractor #14  
No I've never seen it. and BTW, no I don't want to drive it except in a straight line. It certainly wouldn't work in our small New England fields with lots of rocks.

Andy

/ Towing Three Balers Behind One Tractor #15  
I strongly suspect this setup only plays well in the W/midW where its relatively flat and fields are very large. I think most inlines are used there b/c Ive seen very few here and most of those on the used market are from there.

/ Towing Three Balers Behind One Tractor #16  
Grrrr said:
I was thinking you were going to need to be pretty accurate with raking to keep the rows all equidistant apart. (Unless each baler can be moved sideways to follow the windrow.

Mornin Jake,
To me that would be one of the most challenging parts of that operation ! ;)

Robert in Ny said:
The idea might work if you could have everything work off of a gps system so the balers would follow the rake swaths on their own. However, if one baler breaks down then you have two other balers parked as a result. Unless you are short handed for labor it would seem like a better idea to have three tractors just incase a baler breaks down the other two will keep running.

Mornin Robert,
This fella must have a lot of confidence in his preventive maintainance program ! :)

/ Towing Three Balers Behind One Tractor #17  
I saw a picture once of a tractor pulling a hydraulic v-rake and had a round baler hooked to the rake. Driveshaft ran from tractor up and over the rake to the baler.

/ Towing Three Balers Behind One Tractor #18  
The real trick would be to have 3 hay wagons hooked up following the balers. :eek: I'd hate to have to go back and pick up all those dang bales! Must be a low yield area, look how spread out the bales are.

/ Towing Three Balers Behind One Tractor #20  
AndyMA said:
No I've never seen it. and BTW, no I don't want to drive it except in a straight line. It certainly wouldn't work in our small New England fields with lots of rocks.

Andy

I agree Andy. Up where I am at, if a hay field doesn't have at least 7 corners, it's not worth it. :D