Tractor Baler Accident

/ Tractor Baler Accident #71  
Even the late, great Charlie Daniels was severely injured by a PTO and auger on a tractor. Back in '81 I think it was. He was lucky.

/ Tractor Baler Accident #72  
That's where safety switches are a good thing in my opinion. There's really no reason to be off the tractor with PTO running.
I was digging post holes a couple years ago when my farmer neighbor runs over and pushes on the running auger! I quickly shut it down. He was thinking he was helping (?).

/ Tractor Baler Accident
Yeah Cuz healed up pretty good. He had to go through a lot of physical therapy. He is not and never will be back to 100% according to the Dr., but he is lucky to be alive.
He has went back to driving the school bus for the county and continues to farm from the cab of a Kubota now. He even got rid of the old baler and got an electronic tie one.

/ Tractor Baler Accident #75  
My personal rules for PTO implements. Don't get off the tractor with the PTO engaged. Those times when you need to check a strange sound, stay 3 feet away from any moving part. No loose clothing at any time. If it's too hot, take it off and hang it on a fence post, not draped off the seat. Never ever, ever put anything or any part of your body inside the triangle defined by the lifting arms and the top link while the engine is running.

/ Tractor Baler Accident #76  
About the only time I dismount either of my tractors with the pto engaged is when I'm running my grain leg which requires me having the pto engaged for it to function. That and my shaver post pounder which has it's own pto hydraulic pump and to operate it you must be on the ground.

/ Tractor Baler Accident #77  
We had a terrible tractor PTO accident reported 4 years ago, where the young teenaged daughter of a highly experienced farmer and tractor operator, caught her long hair in the unshielded PTO. The results were devastating for all involved. If there is one single item on your tractor that is often overlooked, but is absolutely critical to personal safety, its the plastic PTO shield.

Never operate without it.

/ Tractor Baler Accident #78  
We had a terrible tractor PTO accident reported 4 years ago, where the young teenaged daughter of a highly experienced farmer and tractor operator, caught her long hair in the unshielded PTO. The results were devastating for all involved. If there is one single item on your tractor that is often overlooked, but is absolutely critical to personal safety, its the plastic PTO shield.

... and never operate the pto without the shield secured with the stay chain attached to a non rotating part on the implement or tractor itself. PTO shields are designed to remain stationary while the inner shaft is rotating. Why all shields have grease nipples molded into the end covers and plastic inner bearings. Even a rotating shield that has a high coefficient of friction in relationship to the inner rotating shaft can do personal damage to you, should you get your hair or fingers wrapped up in it.

Most people don't secure the shaft covers to stop rotation, but they should.

/ Tractor Baler Accident #79  
From Mossy..."
I've heard they make a good stew, though. 😛

They do but you have to know how to clean and cook them, They are not meat eaters so they are good to eat. So are ground hogs but then again, it's all in the prep and cooking. Never tried racoon however. Had just about everything else, Some I like some I cannot stand.

/ Tractor Baler Accident #80  

Getting long hair caught in machinery is indeed devastating, at least in the cases I have heard about. The consequences are tragic. No need to go into details, there is plenty of info on the internet.