Tractor Brands Market Share

/ Tractor Brands Market Share #101  
That direct data sure is helpful when trying to figure out shares of market sales.

I have to admit that I hope we never get to the point here (in the US) that all our tractors have to have license plates on them.

Hope nobody from "big government" is reading this thread...

:(
It's not that big of a deal. Don't cost us anything more as there is no road tax on tractors and that way the tractor can get insurance and drive on the road legally. You can also prove that the tractor is yours and not stolen.

/ Tractor Brands Market Share #102  
Northern NY;just a seat of pants observation;90% of the small tractors less than 100 h.p are Kubotas and the large ag type tractors are primarily JD and some Case/New Holland.This is a dairy type area.Combines are JD and Claas.

/ Tractor Brands Market Share #103  
It's not that big of a deal. Don't cost us anything more as there is no road tax on tractors and that way the tractor can get insurance and drive on the road legally. You can also prove that the tractor is yours and not stolen.

In the US it would be a big deal because it would certainly result in ever increasing fees. Whenever gun licensing has been proposed in the US, it has involved large license fees. Marijuana legalization hasn't eliminated the illegal market because the taxes and permit fees make illegal sales much more lucrative. Government just can't resist the opportunity to take more money.

/ Tractor Brands Market Share #104  
In the US it would be a big deal because it would certainly result in ever increasing fees. Whenever gun licensing has been proposed in the US, it has involved large license fees. Marijuana legalization hasn't eliminated the illegal market because the taxes and permit fees make illegal sales much more lucrative. Government just can't resist the opportunity to take more money.
While we don't have yearly road taxes on tractors, we still pay plenty of taxes everywhere else that make up for it.

For instance, the diesel and gas reached an all time high on the prices. Regular diesel is currently at $6.639/gal and regular gas at $7.510/gal. Both types of fuel prices have been increasing around 3 to 4 cents a week for the past months. Over 60% of these prices are straight taxes, which some of these taxes are completely made up stuff just to steal more money from the people.

So yeah, our government doesn't miss an opportunity to take even more money out of the taxpayers either.

/ Tractor Brands Market Share #105  
RE: POST #26

I am struck by how similar Mordor Intelligence's research is to my own, and now the numbers KL5lwq is seeking to obtain independently. A few people in a Hyderabad office, gleaning the web for information on the USA tractor market. The gleaners may be tech savvy but are they tractor savvy?

I grant that Mordor Intelligence knows more about the worldwide tractor market than I do. I am sure they are tuned in to Mahindra and TAFE. (Tractors and Farm Equipment of India.)

Nothing I have read in this thread changes my estimate that Kubota and Deere share approximately 70% of the COMPACT tractor market in the USA through December 2020.
There are no private label tractors within the Deere nor Kubota compact tractor numbers. Kubota makes all its machines. While Deere uses Yanmar engines in its compacts, assembly is in Deere plants. Crucially important Kubota and Deere have sales and service outlets located nearly everywhere COMPACT tractors are in demand.

Korean brands probably have an additional 10% market share, INCLUDING PRIVATE LABELS.

That leaves about 20% of COMPACT tractor market share for other brands, less Korean private label sales within those brands. (So Kioti private labels for Bobcat, as an instance, count for Kioti, not Bobcat, TYM private labels for Mahindra count toward TYM, not Mahindra.)

K5lwq: What do you think?

Logo
Nanakramguda Rd, Financial District, Gachibowli

Hyderabad, Telangana - 500008

India

RESEARCH PHASES EXPLAINED
2.1 SECONDARY RESEARCH
This phase involves a thorough synthesis of the existing publications, across the web, in order to gather meaningful insights on the current situation of the market, technology developments, and any other market-related information. The sources include, but are not limited to:
  • ◼ Scientific papers, journals, and publications.
  • ◼ Trade information to understand imports, exports, and average traded price
    of the commodity, if available.
    ◼Industry and government websites for blogs, magazines, and other publications.
2.2 PRIMARY RESEARCH
◼ Mordor Intelligence pools in industry experts, across the value chain, to gather first- hand insights on the market studied. In addition to these knowledgeable industry veterans or retired experts, consultants and freelancers are a call away to collaborate with Mordor on any assignment that requires real-time industry insights.
◼ MI is also equipped to conduct market surveys to gather qualitative insights and the opinions of individuals related to the industry.
▪Primary research is used both to validate the data points obtained from secondary research and to fill the data gaps after secondary research. Data gathered during the primary research phase is useful to arrive at critical insights, both qualitative and quantitative; these insights can be used to ascertain the following:
• Critical market dynamics (drivers, restraints, future, and regulations) and their impact
  • Market distribution across the various segments
  • Market entry for the new companies and insights on competitive landscape MODES OF PRIMARY RESEARCH

Conference proceedings and associated publications
Investor presentations, technical brochures, annual reports, press releases, transcripts of key personnel interviews, and other strategic publications by several competitors in the market
Product information, including technical specifications, approvals, patents, etc.
Public sources/annual reports (company brochures, publication, sec filings, government publications, regulatory authority publications, etc.)
Paid sources (Statista, D&B Hoovers, etc.)
Other sources include journals, articles, etc. (for prices and usage patterns)

Last edited:
   / Tractor Brands Market Share
RE: POST #26

I am struck by how similar Mordor Intelligence's research is to my own, and now the numbers KL5lwq is seeking to obtain independently. Mordor has plenty of opportunity for wild ass guesses about the USA market.......

I grant that Mordor Intelligence knows more about the worldwide tractor market than I do.

Nothing I have read in this thread changes my estimate that Kubota and Deere share approximately 70% of the COMPACT tractor market in the USA through December 2020.
Kubota makes all its machines. While Deere uses many Yanmar engines in its compacts, quite a bit of the remaining components come out of Deere plants. Crucially important Kubota and Deere have sales and service outlets located nearly everywhere COMPACT tractors are in demand.

Korean brands probably have an additional 10% market share, INCLUDING PRIVATE LABELS.

That leaves about 20% of COMPACT tractor market share for other brands, less Korean private label sales within those brands. (So Kioti private labels for Bobcat, as an instance, count for Kioti, not Bobcat, TYM private labels for Mahindra count toward TYM, not Mahindra.)

K5lwq: What do you think?

Logo
Nanakramguda Rd, Financial District, Gachibowli

Hyderabad, Telangana - 500008

India

RESEARCH PHASES EXPLAINED
2.1 SECONDARY RESEARCH
This phase involves a thorough synthesis of the existing publications, across the web, in order to gather meaningful insights on the current situation of the market, technology developments, and any other market-related information. The sources include, but are not limited to:
  • ◼ Scientific papers, journals, and publications.
  • ◼ Trade information to understand imports, exports, and average traded price
    of the commodity, if available.
    ◼Industry and government websites for blogs, magazines, and other publications.
2.2 PRIMARY RESEARCH
◼ Mordor Intelligence pools in industry experts, across the value chain, to gather first- hand insights on the market studied. In addition to these knowledgeable industry veterans or retired experts, consultants and freelancers are a call away to collaborate with Mordor on any assignment that requires real-time industry insights.
◼ MI is also equipped to conduct market surveys to gather qualitative insights and the opinions of individuals related to the industry.
▪Primary research is used both to validate the data points obtained from secondary research and to fill the data gaps after secondary research. Data gathered during the primary research phase is useful to arrive at critical insights, both qualitative and quantitative; these insights can be used to ascertain the following:
• Critical market dynamics (drivers, restraints, future, and regulations) and their impact
  • Market distribution across the various segments
  • Market entry for the new companies and insights on competitive landscape MODES OF PRIMARY RESEARCH

Conference proceedings and associated publications
Investor presentations, technical brochures, annual reports, press releases, transcripts of key personnel interviews, and other strategic publications by several competitors in the market
Product information, including technical specifications, approvals, patents, etc.
Public sources/annual reports (company brochures, publication, sec filings, government publications, regulatory authority publications, etc.)
Paid sources (Statista, D&B Hoovers, etc.)
Other sources include journals, articles, etc. (for prices and usage patterns)
I think the numbers game in this market is hard to dispute so we are likely to see anything. Some of the researchers I have seen will pick a hand full of the top players and then report market share of only those players. So the total units sold will only contain those brands. One of them only looked at 3 brands. So any percentage will not be representative of the actual market.

I did talk to my local JD dealer about market share yesterday while I was getting some things and he said the numbers can always be manipulated to say almost anything. It was a comical conversation and we had fun discussing. But in the end, I don't think local dealers will have the numbers.

I also think brand name vs manufacture will be even tougher to distinguish. For instance, Bobcat has out paced their projections of tractor sales by a good margin this year. If they continue to see the growth with the dealer network they have, it is possible that they will sell more than Kioti in the near future. So will the units sold be by brand or will it just be what Daedong sells as a whole? Who knows.

If we bought one of the reports I am not sure it would even give us a true picture of the market. And believe me I have considered buying one. Pretty sure the wife will have an issue with that. :ROFLMAO:

/ Tractor Brands Market Share #107  
I think the numbers game in this market is hard to dispute so we are likely to see anything. Some of the researchers I have seen will pick a hand full of the top players and then report market share of only those players. So the total units sold will only contain those brands. One of them only looked at 3 brands. So any percentage will not be representative of the actual market.

I did talk to my local JD dealer about market share yesterday while I was getting some things and he said the numbers can always be manipulated to say almost anything. It was a comical conversation and we had fun discussing. But in the end, I don't think local dealers will have the numbers.

I also think brand name vs manufacture will be even tougher to distinguish. For instance, Bobcat has out paced their projections of tractor sales by a good margin this year. If they continue to see the growth with the dealer network they have, it is possible that they will sell more than Kioti in the near future. So will the units sold be by brand or will it just be what Daedong sells as a whole? Who knows.

If we bought one of the reports I am not sure it would even give us a true picture of the market. And believe me I have considered buying one. Pretty sure the wife will have an issue with that. :ROFLMAO:
Maybe start one of those "go fund me" things?

:LOL:

/ Tractor Brands Market Share #108  
According to some websites, Kioti USA(which also sells in Canada) has a yearly revenue of 75 million. Kubota Canada(only sells in Canada) has about the same yearly revenue. I'd estimate the US market to be about 10 times larger than Canada so Kioti sells roughly 1/11 as much as Kubota in North America. Not bad for Kioti really as Kubota probably sells far more tractors around 80hp and up, and they are selling more farm equipment now too.

/ Tractor Brands Market Share #109  
I was able to find the market share/sales regarding 20 countries of Europe from 2019.

While JD doesn't sell many CUTs or SCUTs in Europe, in Portugal they don't even stock them because they know they don't have a chance, they do make up for it on tractors over 50 HP.

All the text is in Portuguese but the table is pretty easy to understand. On the top right, you can see the top 6 in market share.

tractor market share europe 2019.jpg

/ Tractor Brands Market Share #110  
I am surprised at the strength of the AGCO group.