Tractor Sizing Tractor buying advice for 47 acres at 8600 ft

/ Tractor buying advice for 47 acres at 8600 ft #1  

Jchonline

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, X1100C, M62(S)
Hello Everyone, my first post here! I have read through a number of posts in the past few hours and thought it best to get started with my needs. As the title mentions, I have a 47 forest wooded (pine/fir/aspen). I have about 5 acres of meadow, the rest is mixed wooded and open forest. A number of large rock formations and large boulders as well. We do not live there full time now, but have a garage to park the tractor in. We will be living there full time in then next 5-8 years. As I have seen many mention here, these are the things I want to accomplish with the tractor.

Short term (1-5 years)
1. Clear felled timber and maintain forest
2. Stump removal
3. Snow removal
4. Road maintenance/improvements
5. Open area maintenance (had 30+ acres masticated 2 years ago, want to rake/clean up larger chunks of wood)

Here are my initial requirements:
1. Must have a cab with Heat/AC
2. 4WD
3. Perform well in dynamic terrain (some minor slopes. etc)
4. Total height should be less than 8ft 8 inches (as it has to fit in my garage when I am not out there).

As I am reading, it sounds like the bare weight is a huge consideration, and perhaps more so with the terrain I am in (heavier, wider wheel base, more stable). I have been looking at the Yanmar YT359C, and this is probably my max price range as well (ie ~40k for base tractor).

So I have a few questions:

1. For my uses above, what type of bare weight should I be looking at?
2. Is the YT359C a good option?
3. What other brands/models should I look at?

UPDATE:
Tractors mentioned and being evaluated:

--Kubota L6060HTSC (Ht: 92.5", Wt: 4376lb, 4WD, TC, Base MSRP: $44.8K, dealer close)
--Kioti NX 6010 HST Cab (Ht: 94", Wt: 4520lb, 4WD, TC, Tractorhouse: $ 37.8K w/loader, dealer close)
--MF1758 Cab (Ht: 92.9", Wt: 4608lb, 4WD, TC, Base MSRP: $47.6K w/loader, dealer close)
--Yanmar YT359C (Ht: 89.5", Wt: 4442lb, 4WD, Nat Aspiration, Base MSRP: $43k, dealer NOT close)

Thanks so much!
Jeff

Last edited:
   / Tractor buying advice for 47 acres at 8600 ft #2  
At your elevation I would want a turbocharged engine, which is going to maintain its power.

/ Tractor buying advice for 47 acres at 8600 ft
Thanks for that, I noticed the Kubota L6060HSTC is turbocharged and seems like an option. Thoughts?

/ Tractor buying advice for 47 acres at 8600 ft #4  
HST will be easy to use and always have a high resale, and Kubota makes a real good tractor. Sounds like a winner.

/ Tractor buying advice for 47 acres at 8600 ft #5  
Yanmar is a good brand, for the longest time they powered John Deeres, and may still. My brother just a got a Kioti, I want to say NX4510? I do not know much about them, but he is real happy with it. For what you have listed, I believe R4 tires would serve you well.

/ Tractor buying advice for 47 acres at 8600 ft #6  
Thanks for that, I noticed the Kubota L6060HSTC is turbocharged and seems like an option. Thoughts?

I only have 20 acres (cut out of 80 my inlaws have) and only at 1130’ elevation. Purchased an L6060HSTC with BH92 and EA wicked grapple in December and thus far no regrets. I haven’t got to put a lot of hours on it yet due to the wet weather we are having after the thaw. My needs were about the same as yours and after lots of research on this site, other sites, and YouTube I went with the L6060. I had read about the turbocharged engines being better for higher elevation so it would meet that requirement. Not saying it’s the right tractor for your exact requirements, but thus far has been a good machine. Hence if you are thinking about it then visit a dealer and take a look. There are a couple threads over in the Kubota ownership forum on the l6060 and l4760 that are probably a good read if you’re interested. The price tag was a bit higher than some of the other brands (except JD) but the Kubota dealer was closer and the brand is better known in my area and resale value was a concern for me.

/ Tractor buying advice for 47 acres at 8600 ft #7  

Top of the line equipment. Kubota HST/PLUS transmission is wonderful.

To put all 62-horsepower to the ground most would add liquid to the rear tires. Many would add iron wheel weights to open station models too, but the cab adds 500 additional pounds.

Bare tractor weight of L6060 is 3,571 pounds. With cab 4,068 pounds.

L6060 has ample weight and ample horsepower, due to turbocharger, for the tasks you have itemized @ 8,600' altitude, less stumps.

It would be an excellent choice. One of the best tractor models for hillside work. Rear wheel tread width, a centerline measurement, can be varied from 52" to 59" tread width; overall width, outside-to-outside, will be a bit wider.

Rent a mini-excavator for 10"+ stump removal. Do not beat up your tractor with this task.

KUBOTA WEB SITE: https://www.kubotausa.com/products/tractors/compact/grand-l60

VIDEO: mini excavator stump removal - YouTube

Three Kubota 'Grand L' models share one chassis and have turbocharged engines: L5060/L5460/L6060. At your altitude I would opt for the L6060.

Last edited:
   / Tractor buying advice for 47 acres at 8600 ft
Thanks for the responses. Looks like the Yanmar would be at the bottom of the list due to dealer distance (65 miles) and no turbocharger. I am also concerned about attachments. It would seem easiest to find Kubota compatible used attachments, which I hope will bring significant savings. They are just going to get scratched and banged around on day 1 anyway :)

/ Tractor buying advice for 47 acres at 8600 ft #10  
I am also concerned about attachments. It would seem easiest to find Kubota compatible used attachments, which I hope will bring significant savings. They are just going to get scratched and banged around on day 1 anyway :)

The tractor Three Point Hitch come in various sizes, which in tractorspeak are identified as categories.

The Kubota L6060 has a dual Category I/II Three Point Hitch.

Category I implements fit tractors with a Category I Three Point Hitch worldwide.

Category II implements fit tractors with a Category II Three Point Hitch worldwide.

A Kubota L6060 can operate all Category I and Category II implements.

Brand compatibility is not an issue with the Three Point Hitch.