Tractor died - now trying to troubleshoot - issue seems to be electrical

/ Tractor died - now trying to troubleshoot - issue seems to be electrical #1  

Helloworld88

Tractor
Kioti CK30 HST
Hey all. Maybe my second or third post here. We own a Kioti CK30HST tractor - 2nd year of ownership. After a miss-hap with a broken lower boom piston on the backhoe, we decided to do our regular maint. while we had the time. Changed out all fluids and filters, and even replaced a burnt out light bulb (! not a big deal - but will come back to this). Started the tractor up, rechecked fluids and the new brake light and sent the wife on her way. 10 minutes later, the tractor shuts down - just stops - and a turn of the key gets us NOTHING - Dead.

We try jumping the tractor - which allows the engine to turn over (very slowly) and then click click click. Took the battery home over night and put it on a trickle charger. This morning, with charged battery - back to NOTHING! not even a click. Again - attempted to jump the motor using my F-150 (avoid the jokes here) and again, it turned over slowly then click click click. Not enough power to crank appropriately.

Back to what changed...... New fluids (should not have any impact), new filters( same) and the new light bulb (????) I have taken the bulb out at this point - did so before attempting the jump starting yesterday. Looking for any guidance on troubleshoothing.

I'm an accomplished DIY (Changed out two engines before) but not super familiar with the start up process of the diesel engine. What should I be looking for and testing?? Thanks in advance for the help here!!

/ Tractor died - now trying to troubleshoot - issue seems to be electrical #2  
Sounds to me like a typical bad ground issue.

Locate all the grounds on the tractor, pull those off, clean and reinstall. Don't limit yourself to just make a visual inspection since it can look good but still have a bad connection.

/ Tractor died - now trying to troubleshoot - issue seems to be electrical #3  
I would have the battery tested also , could have a bad cell . Jumping does not always work either. Like ptsg says check all connections. My cub cadet battery cables come loose all the time no matter what i do to them , my other tractors never do.

/ Tractor died - now trying to troubleshoot - issue seems to be electrical #4  
I have a similar deal and I am changing the battery as it appears to have a shorted cell. The Texas heat gets them. I just tried to start my TC40DA. Turned key on, glow plug light cycled on and off. When I turned the key it clicked once and now is dead. Will not jump off with a 200A charger, starter will click. Will not show taking a charge. Wife is stopping and getting a new battery now on her way home. Will let you know how it turns out.

/ Tractor died - now trying to troubleshoot - issue seems to be electrical #5  
The engine suddenly shutting down and difficult to restart are both a symptoms of the fuel system needs bleeding.

/ Tractor died - now trying to troubleshoot - issue seems to be electrical
Thanks for the quick feedback! Here is more info and some follow-up questions..... Battery was tested and seems to be fine. When you mention fuel system needs to be bled out - what would the issue be? How do you bleed out the fuel system (I'll google it - but showing that I don't know off the top of my head). My brother in-law speaks of some solenoid issue. What I'd love to have is the process flow of turning the key, indicator lights flash one, glow plugs cycle, and then...... all of the steps and electricity flows that happen to engage the starter and turn over the engine. ??? :)
1659554097556.png

/ Tractor died - now trying to troubleshoot - issue seems to be electrical #7  
Thanks for the quick feedback! Here is more info and some follow-up questions..... Battery was tested and seems to be fine. When you mention fuel system needs to be bled out - what would the issue be? How do you bleed out the fuel system (I'll google it - but showing that I don't know off the top of my head). My brother in-law speaks of some solenoid issue. What I'd love to have is the process flow of turning the key, indicator lights flash one, glow plugs cycle, and then...... all of the steps and electricity flows that happen to engage the starter and turn over the engine. ??? :)View attachment 756883
Fuel causes many problems. No crank, and slow crank with jumpers are neither of those.

New battery, check battery to ground, and battery to starter connections.

Take all safety precautions, and try jumper to starter directly. Let us know if you need additional detail, and do let us know what you find.

Best,

ed

/ Tractor died - now trying to troubleshoot - issue seems to be electrical #8  
I am not the person to rely on re this issue - what I know I learned here. But, I recall that when this happened to me - i.e., tractor just would not start and I went through the usual suspects (battery, connections. . . ) - I finally figured out that it was the neutral switch (until then I didn't know WTH that was or even that it existed). Anyway, I managed to find it, and some wiring had disconnected - I fixed that and it started and has ran fine since. Just a suggestion - others will know more.

/ Tractor died - now trying to troubleshoot - issue seems to be electrical #9  
There are safety switches that might be causing the problem. For example seat pressure switch, tractor in neutral switch, pto off switch, HST pedal not pressed switch etc. From the symptoms I’d say it’s a battery or cables, ground problem. Maybe a bad starter. I know you had the battery checked but just for grins and giggles I’d pull the battery from your F150, eliminate the tractor battery and hook up the F150 battery directly to the tractor. This will 100% eliminate the battery as the problem.

/ Tractor died - now trying to troubleshoot - issue seems to be electrical #10  
I am not the person to rely on re this issue - what I know I learned here. But, I recall that when this happened to me - i.e., tractor just would not start and I went through the usual suspects (battery, connections. . . ) - I finally figured out that it was the neutral switch (until then I didn't know WTH that was or even that it existed). Anyway, I managed to find it, and some wiring had disconnected - I fixed that and it started and has ran fine since. Just a suggestion - others will know more.
Good info, interlocks can be a booger, I can't think of how an interlock can cause slow crank though..............

best,

ed