Tractor greasing day - issue with zerks

/ Tractor greasing day - issue with zerks #1  

beowulf

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3410 HST, J Deere riding mower
Today was set aside to clean up the tractor, change the air filters, blow out the radiator, etc., and check it over generally, and grease it. All went well with the greasing until I found one zerk missing - in the most difficult zerk location. Nothing I had would fit - I removed a zerk from elsewhere on the FEL to test the size and it would not fit either - feels loose. I cleaned the hole out and tried to see if there were threads remaining - I think not but it is really hard to see that particular area. I cannot tap new threads there because of the hard-to-get-at location and because the cutting part of the tap does not start until about a quarter inch up the tap and the tap would dead end before it started cutting. I went on with greasing and while greasing another area a zerk came off in the lock-n-lube. It would screw back in but remained loose and came out by hand. That area, btw, would not take grease before it came out.

Anyway, my questions:

Has anyone used self tapping zerks, or pound-in zerks, and with what success, and how to go about it. (I don't even know if the areas are amenable to pounding a zerk in - found a zerk pounding tool for straight zerks - but one is 90, and so, a problem.)

Are there ways to cut new threads that would not dead-end before the cutting starts? I would prefer to not dismantle parts of the loader arms.

These zerks are on a Woods 1016 FEL - not certain if metric or SAE? - I will check on this.

Any other suggestions. There is a variety of zerk related tools - so checking those out as well.

Thanks in advance.

--

Last edited:
   / Tractor greasing day - issue with zerks #2  
Post a picture.

/ Tractor greasing day - issue with zerks
Post a picture.
Of the hole where one was missing? where one fell out? Will do - not sure if light will be ideal.

Update: Went out to take pics - not sure what use they will be - just show where one was missing (first pic) and one came out (second pic).

Attachments

• IMG_1527.JPG
    IMG_1527.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 132
  • IMG_1529 (2).JPG
    IMG_1529 (2).JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 134
Last edited:
   / Tractor greasing day - issue with zerks #4  
1. Over issues with thread - I had a Kubota Zerk fitting for which I could not find the right thread. Finally, ordered a single Zerk from the dealer. Fit beautifully. Since, have learned Japan has it's own thread. So, lesson to be learned - order the Zerk from a Woods dealer.

2. Over issues with Zerk not accepting grease. Raise or lower whatever you're greasing- put pressure on that point, or remove it. We hope you are using synthetic grease - something with no clay - and that you don't have old dried up clay in whatever you're greasing.

/ Tractor greasing day - issue with zerks
We hope you are using synthetic grease - something with no clay - and that you don't have old dried up clay in whatever you're greasing.
I used Lucas Red. Lithium based from what I can tell. Not sure it is synthetic, but doubt it. Per your advice I will get synthetic. I am not sure what I used before though - I did have a several Kubota grease cartridges before - none found today - only had Lucas. Appreciate the input. Five zerks took grease. Two did not. One was missing.

/ Tractor greasing day - issue with zerks #6  
Over the years I've "lost" a zerk or two. Buy those multi-packs. Twenty or so zerks - one will usually fit. Considered making a charm bracelet out of the remainder.

I have one zerk on the Land Pride grapple that refuses to take grease. I have to start the tractor - raise the lid on the grapple - now it takes grease easily. PITA.

BTW - is there a zerk on the opposite side that could be removed and used for reference - when you go to the store??

/ Tractor greasing day - issue with zerks #7  
i had a hard time finding a replacement for broken zerk.

After much searching, drove 15 minutes to dealer, $.85

/ Tractor greasing day - issue with zerks #8  
Some machines use a british thread. I know my Kioti does.

/ Tractor greasing day - issue with zerks #9  
The second picture looks like the fitting was possibly welded in place.

/ Tractor greasing day - issue with zerks #10  
I just did a service and it had some missing and clogs. I block it up a little so it doesnt fall all apart and tive the pin half way out, a bit more and even remove and totally coat them, fix the hole and shove it back together. Once you do it will find not such a problem. I am sure the synthetics are absolutely best but I use the moly from the farm store and they do not clog.