tractor jump starts w/ no key ??

/ tractor jump starts w/ no key ?? #1  

G McCall

Bronze Member
My 99 M4800 tractor (48hp) jump starts with no key in the ignition.

The solenoid went out in my tractor and I had to jump start it at the starter.
I turned the key to ON, placed the tractor in Neutral (both places) and crossed the two prong connections with a piece of metal.

(I have to get a new Solenoid)

Anyway, after starting the tractor several times this way, The third time I did this, I failed to even insert the key. Tractor will jump start and run fine without the key. :confused: What is the deal ?
I did not check to see if the battery was being charged with no key.

(These tractors would be too easy to steal. )

/ tractor jump starts w/ no key ?? #2  
If your tractor doesn't use a fuel pump cutoff solenoid.. IE.. key-off.. then probably any time the engine turns it could try to start.

My old ford 5000 you can pull start it with no battery, key, generator.. etc.

just put in gear, push in the manual fuel kill linkage, adn then let off the clutch.

And yes.. lots of tractors could be stolen easy.. ford / NH used the same key in the 1965+ thousand series tractors till 2000!

soundguy

/ tractor jump starts w/ no key ??
Soundguy I do have a fuel cutoff switch which apparently is the only thing keeping it from starting. This is my first tractor which I don't use that often.

I'm learning.

/ tractor jump starts w/ no key ?? #4  
.... I do have a fuel cutoff switch which apparently is the only thing keeping it from starting.....

L5450s have a fuel cut-off solenoid - but it just activates for a few seconds on shutting off the key, then it resets. The diesel injection pump is directly driven so if the engine is turned it starts. The starter motor will go if you jump the solenoid. Without the key on it isn't charging. We're all learning. Take care, DickB

/ tractor jump starts w/ no key ?? #5  
Unless the diesel engine is a newer one with common rail or electronice fuel injection the key stop solenoid on the injection pump is only activated for a few seconds when shutting down, now the BX tractor that I have and the G2160 garden tractor both have electronic fuel pumps instead of amechanical engine driven fuel lift pump as the tanks are lower than the injection pump but would still probably run without power to the pump for a while.

David Kb7uns