Tractor rear PTO vs skidsteer snowblower

/ Tractor rear PTO vs skidsteer snowblower #1  

MinnesotaMorg

Silver Member
Tractor
Deutz Fahr 6130ttv
Looking for updated opinions on what snowblower I should get. I previously got a MK Martin 87, but things happened and I ended up trading the 4707 before I even had a chance to use the snowblower.

I now either need to get a 8' PTO snowblower, or get a hydraulic snowblower for the skid. I initially was just going to get another PTO snowblower, but looking at the prices for 96" or 108" wide pto blowers the price is reaching the same as a hydraulic from Erskine/QuickAttach. So while previously the price of hydraulic made it prohibitive to consider, now if I'm going to be dropping upwards of 7k I just want to go with what is going to make my life easiest. I should add that I have heard that sometimes people get blowers for their skids and they are underwhelmed by the performance, but that is because they purchase a blower that doesn't match their flow rate very well. The blower I'm considering for the skid they ask what machine you're putting it on to match the hydraulic motor as best as they can.

Here is what I've seemed to gather so far
PTO specs: 96" width, 43" height, dual auger, impeller diameter 32"
PTO advantages: No motors, theoretically should be easier to maintain (chain,lube,shearpins), slightly cheaper even at 96/108", larger overall, larger cut height, impeller

Skid specs: 79" width, 36" height, single auger, impeller diameter 24"
Skid advantages: Easier to hook up, won't have to disconnect blower from tractor if I need to haul hay, front facing, more maneuverable, hydraulic pressure (no shear pins)

The new tractor is CVT, so it's almost as nice as the skid to drive while blowing, but it's also a bear in comparison, so getting into tighter spots will be more challenging or impossible. Is there anything I'm missing? I need to make a decision this week as it's already snowing.

/ Tractor rear PTO vs skidsteer snowblower #2  
What skid steer and flow capacity do you have? Does either machine have a cab?

/ Tractor rear PTO vs skidsteer snowblower #3  
My experience a tractor front mount snow blower will out perform a cat skid steer snow blower by about 4 to 1. no comparison.

/ Tractor rear PTO vs skidsteer snowblower #4  
My experience a tractor front mount snow blower will out perform a cat skid steer snow blower by about 4 to 1. no comparison.

Were your machines even close to equally matched? I don’t see that happening if they were.

/ Tractor rear PTO vs skidsteer snowblower #5  
You must have one hell of a big tractor.

/ Tractor rear PTO vs skidsteer snowblower #6  
If your skid isn't the high flow with 3 lines I'd stay with the tractor-PTO. It's all about the power with blowing. Somewhere you should be able to find the available hydraulic hp from your SS and go from there. 👍

/ Tractor rear PTO vs skidsteer snowblower #7  
I'd take sitting on a cabbed tractor with great visibility over sitting inside a milk crate bolted to a pogo stick with poor visibility on three sides any day. I'd rather see the wing dings coming at me driving down my country road at 120 kph on snow covered roads when I'm clearing the end of my driveway.

/ Tractor rear PTO vs skidsteer snowblower #8  
Depending on skid steer you might get 60 - 70 HP to drive blower and in most cases will change blower speed - slow down when loaded. You can control this via travel speed. Visibility going any direction but forward on skid is very limited Skids are more traction challenged in snow that people realize. Low ground clearance, typically wide hard tires.

Tractor
With equal PTO HP you will get more consistent performance that is less maneuverable but provides visibility in all directions and superior travel speed if you have to travel any distance.

/ Tractor rear PTO vs skidsteer snowblower #9  
To me having both a SS and tractor, the maneuverability of a SS is unnecessary blowing snow, the rigid frame is a negative for traction and the hydraulic transfer of power vs mechanically puts me favoring a tractor.
Now if you have a CTL vs a wheeled machine, it's even worse traction over tires & chains.
Ideally I'd like a front mounted blower pto driven blower and a hydro transmission or in my case, a creeper gear on the tractor. This of course for me would mean another tractor 😆 'cause I'm not giving up my tractor and V plow.
20220131_151111.jpg

Who doesn't want another "tool in the drawer". 👍

/ Tractor rear PTO vs skidsteer snowblower #10  
When buying a hydraulic blower, the displacement of the motor matters. Depending on your machine and the type of snow you have will make a difference. A smaller motor will spin faster, throw snow farther, but will stall easier. The larger motor will have more grunt for drifts and heavy snow but won't throw as far.

Other factors like the plowed area layout, terrain, and personal preferences will make a difference too.