Tractor Safety Lesson Number ??? With Details.

/ Tractor Safety Lesson Number ??? With Details. #1  

beowulf

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3410 HST, J Deere riding mower
Well, as this happened to my brother two days ago, I have the details. I didn't say I understand it - just that I have a first-hand report on how it happened - we think. This may have to be a bit long.

My brother - in another state - bought a used Ford 4N 1954 vintage tractor for $2,500. He says it was sort of cobbled together and that this was the second time he used it. Short version: He ran himself over with his tractor.

Long version: He had loaded some iron I beams on the front loader forks. The tractor ran out of gas in the field. He filled the tank. He thought it was in neutral. Then, standing on the side of the tractor, and directly in front of one of the rear tires, he reached in and pulled the throttle. The tractor "took off like a rocket" pulling him under. One rear wheel ran over his legs, the other over his chest. The tractor then continued for about 1-2 blocks until it hit a tree and died.

He crawled back to his car, pulled himself in and got to the house, shouted for his wife, and she took him to the hospital. Broken leg, messed up ankle, severely bruised from the ankle to the shoulder, hard to breathe for 2 days, extreme pain - really extreme - especially when they had to twist his leg into position for X-rays. Stint and bolts in leg (planned) and in a boot now. Out of ICU today and sent to rehab.

The rest: He admits he was not familiar with the tractor. He said that when he pulled the throttle the tractor started and took off - like that was also the starter - his last old tractor had a button you pushed to start it. He doesn't know if this was modified or was the way it is supposed to work. We have no idea how it could start in third gear.

The mistakes - he acknowledges: Not being familiar with the tractor. Not making sure it was in neutral. Pulling the throttle while standing in front of a rear wheel.

He thinks what somewhat saved him from dying was: 1) there was a lot of weight on the front forks thus pulling some of the weight off the rear wheels; 2) the tractor took off at a fast speed thus the rear wheels went over him quickly; 3) he did not have any implements on the rear (which he usually does) and so was not caught and dragged along.

He still has his sense of humor: He said he will likely miss his grandkids graduation which is a good thing as they won't be continually asked "So how did your granddad run himself over with his tractor?"

He is usually a very safe guy. Very, very lucky. Not sure we understand exactly how this - mechanically - happened. But it did. Maybe it is time to re-familiarize myself with my own equipment - we can all get too comfortable.

/ Tractor Safety Lesson Number ??? With Details. #2  
Yikes! Glad he and his sense of humor survived. (y)

And thanks for posting. It's always good to hear things like this. It might make someone think a little more.

/ Tractor Safety Lesson Number ??? With Details.
Yikes! Glad he and his sense of humor survived. (y)

And thanks for posting. It's always good to hear things like this. It might make someone think a little more.
Yeah, Moss. You can never be too careful. I am still puzzled as to how it could start up the way it did - I am not familiar with any tractor other than my Kubota.

I am thinking of investing in a couple of wheel blocks I could keep on the tractor as our property is a bit hilly and at times I need to stop and get off the tractor and even though I drop the bucket and box and engage the brakes there have been those times (like today) when it won't stay put - a slow creaking and movement - so I have to move to a more level place nearby (not always convenient) of or finding a large rock.

/ Tractor Safety Lesson Number ??? With Details. #4  
Glad he is going to be o.k.,we used to have a 8N and9N,almost got hurt a number of times.Someone must have changed the start from factory.

/ Tractor Safety Lesson Number ??? With Details. #5  
Glad your brother lived to tell about it. I'm not sure what I learned unless it's to never trust tractors I've never heard of.

/ Tractor Safety Lesson Number ??? With Details. #6  
Last year a friend was looking at an older Fiat tractor that was listed on Machinery Pete. The owner installed a remote start push button on the side of the tractor. Well my friend stopped by the guy's house who was selling it, and started looking it over with the owner. The owner had to go inside to get something, well, my friend thought the switch was a horn or something, but after pressing it, the tractor started and because it was in gear, it took off. Luckily he jumped back to avoid getting squashed. After it moved about 50+ feet, the box blade dug in deep and stalled the tractor.

/ Tractor Safety Lesson Number ??? With Details. #7  
Glad he lived through it!!

Lesson #1 (I got yelled at about this a long time ago) only start a tractor from the seat. The older the tractor the more important this rule is.

/ Tractor Safety Lesson Number ??? With Details. #8  
Last year a friend was looking at an older Fiat tractor that was listed on Machinery Pete. The owner installed a remote start push button on the side of the tractor. Well my friend stopped by the guy's house who was selling it, and started looking it over with the owner. The owner had to go inside to get something, well, my friend thought the switch was a horn or something, but after pressing it, the tractor started and because it was in gear, it took off. Luckily he jumped back to avoid getting squashed. After it moved about 50+ feet, the box blade dug in deep and stalled the tractor.
I don't know what number they assigned to this one but it say's "If you don't know what it is or how it works,leave it alone".

/ Tractor Safety Lesson Number ??? With Details. #9  
I am also glad he lived to talk about it and hope he will fully recover. I am not an overly religious man, but after he recovers, he might might want to go to church one Sunday and say Thank You. As much as we hate all the safety switches, those tractors can really beat a guy up.

/ Tractor Safety Lesson Number ??? With Details.
I am also glad he lived to talk about it and hope he will fully recover. I am not an overly religious man, but after he recovers, he might might want to go to church one Sunday and say Thank You. As much as we hate all the safety switches, those tractors can really beat a guy up.
Yeah thanks. If he would have had rear attachments on it, like he always had on his other very old tractor, he would have been drug for a couple of blocks and maybe kept under a part of the rear wheels. So, really lucky. I still don't understand how it could have started simply by pulling the throttle - but again - I know very little about those old tractors - and he said this one was a bit cobbled together.