Tractor Shortages

DieselBound

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800; Kioti NX5510HC
Spending more time at home means buying more tractor parts this year.

I kind of expected that my local brick & mortor tractor dealers would have the best access to parts, but what I've found is the on-line dealers & part houses seem to have the best parts selection.
And they've become real easy to deal with.
rScotty
The model has been slowly going toward distribution centers as retail outlets: think Costco/Sams etc. And many retail centers are moving toward being primarily on-line: grocery outlets provide grocery deliveries, though this is a tough market to make work (companies like Schwans is likely a better model- you have to schedule though, be on a route).

Close scrutiny will show that things are condensing/compressing- NOT expanding (growth in the bigger picture is retreating).

As I cannot get decent parts for my cars locally I order from the Internet: I have a couple of primary vendors that I utilize.

IndyJay

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti DK4510MS w/Loader, Grapple Prev: Massey 1250
One would have to adjust for inflation in order to truly compare apples to apples. That high of about (just above) $4 in 2008 is $5.14 in today's dollars: we have another 25% increase to go in order to match. Handy site to calc this stuff: Inflation Calculator | Find US Dollar's Value from 1913-2021

All said, however, and I've been trying to educate people about this for so many years now I've lost track: it's not COST, it's AFFORDABILITY. Cut fuel prices to $1/gal and your wages down to $3/hr and tell me whether that $1/gal fuel cost is low.
Do you have a chart that shows fuel prices and inflation together? It seems that inflation was pretty much in check until fairly recently.

DieselBound

Elite Member
Tractor
Do you have a chart that shows fuel prices and inflation together? It seems that inflation was pretty much in check until fairly recently.
If fuel was just over $4/gal back in 2008 (looking at the graph that was given above) then one need only use the adjusted value of a dollar per inflation statistics to understand what that fuel-to-dollar ratio would be in today's dollar. This valuation holds for ANYTHING priced in dollars.

Go to the link and plug in $1 for any year you like to see what the affects of inflation has been. If you're interested in "recent" then just pick your favorite year(s). If you want a graph you could likely find one: Fed publishes all sorts of fancy graphs.

ultrarunner

Super Star Member
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
Just checked the inflation calculator on my home.

It sold new on 1921 for $2400

According to the inflation calculator fast forwarding 100 years the value would be $37,000 or 1445%

However the current market value is 800k +/-

Looks like Real Estate is a stellar performer...

DieselBound

Elite Member
Tractor

According to the inflation calculator fast forwarding 100 years the value would be $37,000 or 1445%

Yeah, but you've likely paid out the difference in property taxes! :LOL: As the saying goes: Land, they ain't making any more of it. "Money," on the other hand...

ultrarunner

Super Star Member
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
Yeah, but you've likely paid out the difference in property taxes! :LOL: As the saying goes: Land, they ain't making any more of it. "Money," on the other hand...
Just put my $3600 annual tax payment in the mail...

Username Taken

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti CX2510 HST

Using Einstein's Rule of 71 (one of his few contributions to science).... [any given interest rate divided into 71 will tell you how many years it takes your principle to double..... 10% = about 7 years. 7% = about 10 years to double]

Assuming a compound interest rate of 7% (which is low) an investment in a Mutual Fund at that rate would turn that $2400 into -- Untold Millions. And millions. And millions.

Hard to compete with that.

But I agree, Real Estate really is where it's at. They ain't making anymore of it.

DieselBound

Elite Member
Tractor
And interesting that we claim that we have to have at least %3 "economic" growth. How fast can rats run?

Torvy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Looking to purchase a Compact Tractor in 30-50 HP range.
(companies like Schwans is likely a better model- you have to schedule though, be on a route)
Paul Schwan is a fraternity brother of mine. Route sales worked well for them especially with rural customers.