Tractor will not shut off (gas). 1953 John Deere Model 60.

/ Tractor will not shut off (gas). 1953 John Deere Model 60. #1  

Gusstowe

Tractor
John Deere Model 60
I replaced an ignition key switch with the original 5-terminal switch. I think I may have shorted something out while troubleshooting the switch as the back light on the seat was not getting power. Now the tractor will not shut off when I put the switch in the off position. Removed all the leads from the switch and the engine continues to run. I had to shut off the gas to stop the engine.
UPDATE:
If I remove the coil wire from the ignition switch the engine shuts off. This is something that “changed” from yesterday after I started having issues. I have ordered a new switch but there is no continuity when I check the switch, in the off position, between “BAT” & “IGN”. I am thinking of adding a relay between IGN & the wire to the coil. Does anyone see an issue with this?

Last edited:
   / Tractor will not shut off (gas). 1953 John Deere Model 60. #2  
Welcome to TBN
Also can stall the engine by putting in 6th gear and engaging the clutch (to me, that would be quicker and easier).

Good luck tracking the switch voltages down.

Last edited:
   / Tractor will not shut off (gas). 1953 John Deere Model 60. #3  
Are you SURE you identified wires and terminals correctly when you installed the new switch? It's a gasoline engine. If you interrupt power to the primary side of the coil the engine WILL die as you have indicated. It sounds like your ignition wire is not breaking with the switch off.

/ Tractor will not shut off (gas). 1953 John Deere Model 60.
Are you SURE you identified wires and terminals correctly when you installed the new switch? It's a gasoline engine. If you interrupt power to the primary side of the coil the engine WILL die as you have indicated. It sounds like your ignition wire is not breaking with the switch off.
I put a dry contact in to break the connection to the primary side of the coil: Did not work. The only thing that seems to work is to physically remove the primary coil wire from any connections. It seems the relay I installed is still allowing power to “bleed” across the open contacts. I even ran a separate wire for the primary coil in case the harness wire was compromised. Tomorrow I will see if the engine dies under power (I have it on a trailer as I’m scheduled to be in a parade Saturday). There seems to be ”ghost” power making its way back from the alternator as the relay worked when the alternator was disconnected. Such a basic system but so compliacted when there’s an issue. Thanks to all for your help.

/ Tractor will not shut off (gas). 1953 John Deere Model 60. #5  
Hope to see some pics of the model 60 in the parade.

/ Tractor will not shut off (gas). 1953 John Deere Model 60. #6  
You need a wiring diagram for your tractor. I don't know what a dry contact is but if you break the primary connection to the coil the secondary will have no output to the distributor killing the spark. It will die. As far as needing a relay, if the ignition switch won't break the power to the coil it won't break the power to a relay either. I found a diagram but you may wish to keep looking.

/ Tractor will not shut off (gas). 1953 John Deere Model 60.
You need a wiring diagram for your tractor. I don't know what a dry contact is but if you break the primary connection to the coil the secondary will have no output to the distributor killing the spark. It will die. As far as needing a relay, if the ignition switch won't break the power to the coil it won't break the power to a relay either. I found a diagram but you may wish to keep looking.
I very much appreciate your help. This tractor has been converted to an alternator. Yes, you are correct as the relay did not work (fortunately I had one already). I’ll get back on it today. Thank you to all who have responded.

/ Tractor will not shut off (gas). 1953 John Deere Model 60. #8  
I replaced an ignition key switch with the original 5-terminal switch. I think I may have shorted something out while troubleshooting the switch as the back light on the seat was not getting power. Now the tractor will not shut off when I put the switch in the off position. Removed all the leads from the switch and the engine continues to run. I had to shut off the gas to stop the engine.
UPDATE:
If I remove the coil wire from the ignition switch the engine shuts off. This is something that “changed” from yesterday after I started having issues. I have ordered a new switch but there is no continuity when I check the switch, in the off position, between “BAT” & “IGN”. I am thinking of adding a relay between IGN & the wire to the coil. Does anyone see an issue with this?
There is also a ground terminal on the ignition switch too. Used to shutdown mag equipped tractors.