Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,501  
A Dutchman was put in on what I would call the far side of the stump where he bypassed the face at which point weight and gravity took over. There’s times you can use a Dutchman full faced or swinging to your advantage to do different things. I’ll put in stuff like that to make a tree swing around from the lean or spin around from the belly. Full faced are used to pop a tree off a stump quick.
You can make them "dance" . . .

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,502  
yogi, how come you are cutting the tree's so high up? You are wasting log length!

They are saw logs, not firewood logs!

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,503  
You can make them "dance" . . .

You can only make them dance so far sometimes you have use mother nature against herself and pick a root to help pull around something ugly.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,504  
yogi, how come you are cutting the tree's so high up? You are wasting log length!

They are saw logs, not firewood logs!

SR
You mean high up off the ground?
Back problems and other mobility issues.
A foot of usable wood is a small price to pay to not have to walk with a cane half way through the day.
Sustained some physical damage back in the day.
In my case it also makes for a safe relocate if I have to get clear quickly.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,505  
I'm dealing with that everyday, I get on my knees and cut them low! Looks like more than a foot to me...

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,506  
You can only make them dance so far sometimes you have use mother nature against herself and pick a root to help pull around something ugly.
Ahhh, you were talking about dancing.
I was going to use google translate. Didn't recognize the terminology :p

Not that it matters, but was what my friend did dangerous? Wrong?
I know he got a different reaction than he planned,

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,507  
I'm dealing with that everyday, I get on my knees and cut them low! Looks like more than a foot to me...

SR
Lots of people deal with it. I'm not alone.
There's no getting on my knees. I have been in hospital about 6 times over the last 3 yrs for this stuff.
If I could cut it lower I would. Friends are even suprised I took this task on.

It was about 18 to 20 inches.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,508  
You mean high up off the ground?
Back problems and other mobility issues.
A foot of usable wood is a small price to pay to not have to walk with a cane half way through the day.
Sustained some physical damage back in the day.
In my case it also makes for a safe relocate if I have to get clear quickly.
5% of total volume is in that first foot of tree, and it’s generally the clearest.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,509  
Skeans1
I looked up what a dutchman is. Pretty sure he didn't do it as a technique :)
I've heard of people using that for felling between buildings or something, but never seen it done.
I may have done something similar when clearing my land 20 yrs ago. Making my back cut somewhere you wouldn't
normally. I got the tree where I wanted it despite where it was leaning toward. Probably shouldn't have.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,510  
5% of total volume is in that first foot of tree, and it’s generally the clearest.
Fair enough.

Not sure what you mean by volume in the first foot.

Either way, if I'm being wasteful or not, it's a physical thing for me and I'm not risking a debilitating injury for a foot and a half of landscape beam.