Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,041  
That saw has ridden so many miles on that hood, it probably knows how to hang on for dear life as the tractor is moving. lol

SR
Reminds me of a saying we have about old barns, the only thing keeping them standing is habit....

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,042  
My wife helps with splitting wood too, she always says, "it keeps my butt warm too".

IMG-1069-S.jpg

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,043  
Wives just don't understand how much help that really is.
They think it is just a "token" effort.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,044  
A lot of fooling around with other projects lately but finally got my landscape timbers ready to bring home.
Not the prettiest load of wood, but an amateur has to start somewhere.
Now the real work begins.
Have a local machine shop making kind of a miniature pallet lift for me. Which reminds me, I have to go pick that up.
(Something like this but a foot wide, 10 inches high.)
Edit: this is it after I ran out and picked it up - not "something like this".
1635539429597.png

1635539461760.png

Then clear some of my yard for my trailer load.

1635537061706.png

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,045  
OMG..... I didn't post for a week and when I finally do I KILLED the thread !!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,046  
Well, it was time to go cut/split those firewood logs I skidded out the other day, so I got everything loaded up, and picked up a helper,

Resized-20211028-154748-4062-S.jpg

Once on the job, I did my normal thing of having my helper do the cutting while I moved the logs to my trailer with my loader tractor,

Resized-20211030-114954-6873-S.jpg

This ash must have been 40' long,

PART-1635629452708-Resized-20211030-115535-9435-S.jpg

Once the pile grew a bit, I could have my helper cut them down to size, and then I set the rest on top of the pile for him to finish cutting them, while I went for another log,

Resized-20211030-115306-6851-S.jpg

Anyway, with all the logs cut, I moved the splitter into place and we started rolling the big rounds right onto the splitters beam, NO lifting at all this way,

Resized-20211030-133859-9276-S.jpg

and pushed everything through the splitters 4-way wedge,

Resized-20211030-135347-9689-S.jpg

until we had all the logs turned into great firewood!

PART-1635627952947-Resized-20211030-151110-1935-S.jpg

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,047  
Just about perfect Rob.
With three crushed vertebra discs, I'm looking for some kind of "table" myself. My days of picking up 150 lb rounds are over.
When we had 'firewood days" at my logging job, we had a conveyor belt at the base of the splitter to upload them into a stake body.
Bet you'd appreciate such as you load your bins..
You could also benefit with a pickaroon and/or a pulp hook to manhandle the rounds on the trailer.
I have to invent something like you have even if on a smaller scale.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,048  
Just about perfect Rob.
With three crushed vertebra discs, I'm looking for some kind of "table" myself. My days of picking up 150 lb rounds are over.
When we had 'firewood days" at my logging job, we had a conveyor belt at the base of the splitter to upload them into a stake body.
You could also benefit with a pickaroon and/or a pulp hook to manhandle the rounds on the trailer.
I have a hookaroon, and they are handy...

As for the bins, this was a paying job and all I REALLY had to do, was let the splits drop to the ground in a pile. But they are so easy to take off the grate and toss into those bins, it would have been a sin to stick the owner with the job of picking them all up off the ground.

He has a pile of those bins and is taking more out there to fill.... AND once again, he offered to give me a bunch. I'm thinking this time, I will accept, as I've thought of an easier way to unload them so they just might now be useful to me.

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,049  
Just about perfect Rob.

I’d really like a conveyer at the end of my splitter. I have an old hay conveyor but it needs work and I’ve never got around to fixing it. I’ve also got 3 tread mills that I was planning on putting in a row to make a conveyor but I’ve never done that either. A lift on the splitter takes the back work out of it and it makes a nice table to hold the pieces that need re split.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,050  
Loved these pics.
Wondering how large an excavator needs to be in order to lift an 1800 lb stem in the manner your pic demonstrates.

I’d say this log is around a ton. Here’s as far as I could hold it over the side without tipping.
IMG_0795.JPG