Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,881  
I can see where it would be nice to have a grinder for when I rock a chain though. (Or find barbed wire... AARGH!) n. 👍
The N.E woods I lived most of my life in had some mighty strange things found in trees.
This was a pretty busy area in the 17 and 18 hundreds.
I have found (struck) arrow heads, wrenches, locks, stirrups, broken knife blades, a tin drinking cup, metal buttons, axe heads, chain, and plenty of barbed wire.
Oh and one of the guys in my crew found a cache of silver dollars minted in the late 1800's that someone hid in a young tree and forgot about.
It was a bit of a trip back in time as I imagined who stood here and left his crap in a tree for me to find a couple hundred years later.

It was intriguing and aggravating all at the same time.

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,882  
People who cut wood for a living are in another wheel house.
We'd have a chainsaw in our hands for 8 hrs at least 5 days per week if one wasn't operating skidders.
Equipment care becomes more critical much like any other profession that utilizes tools for their income.

As a "home owner" now, I might put in 40 hrs a year harvesting firewood.
I did that in a week as a logger.
With that said who is more likely to afford the replacement tool and who’s more likely to have issues with that piece of equipment?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,884  
The N.E woods I lived most of my life in had some mighty strange things found in trees.
This was a pretty busy area in the 17 and 18 hundreds.
I have found (struck) arrow heads, wrenches, locks, stirrups, broken knife blades, a tin drinking cup, metal buttons, axe heads, chain, and plenty of barbed wire.
Oh and one of the guys in my crew found a cache of silver dollars minted in the late 1800's that someone hid in a young tree and forgot about.
It was a bit of a trip back in time as I imagined who stood here and left his crap in a tree for me to find a couple hundred years later.

It was intriguing and aggravating all at the same time.

Arrow, and isn't that the God's almighty truth!!! Whom could even imagine being in that "exact spot and time" and placing silvers to hide? I sure couldn't!! Wow, what an historical find of an original cache of gems and an actual slice of history!!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,885  
Dang, this thread moves fast some times. I was out of town for a couple days snowboarding, and then at home on weekends I don't tend to get online (mental health reset lol!).

Thanks for the replies, learned a good bit about raker filing and timberjacks.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,886  
Our and cleaning upView attachment 737255View attachment 737256
IMG_20220314_161221.jpg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,889  
Try this when you don't have room for a wedge. Make your face cut and then lay your saw on the flat of the face cut and bore straight back thru the back of the tree. Then put your wedge in. Make your back cut in two steps. One on each side and a little above the wedge. Make sure you leave good wood above the wedge. The little bit of verticle grain left splits very easily when you drive the wedge. Works real well. Called tongue and groove cut.

View attachment 736945

View attachment 736946

gg
So why not just do a plunge cut for the back cut leaving about 10% of the tree diameter intact, when you finish the plunged back cut, pull the saw, insert your wedges on both sides of that 10% left, then cut the little bit left and finish driving the wedges.
Something like this...

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,890  
Why not - there are lots of ways to cut a tree where there is not enough room for the wedge before it hits the hinge. I just showed him the one I use and like most. Everybody has their preferences. The important thing is that you have some method in your bag of tricks that solves the problem to wedge over a 6"tree.

Last edited: