Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,811  
Some where around I have a picture of a 4.5’ fir that’s 120’ being pulled by a little 450 like that, they can move a pretty good amount of wood. The hardest thing on them is a winch or a grapple it’s a great way to take out a final bearing quickly, it’s one reason the track skidders had the finals up in the center of the frames.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,812  
Ran the BSM today I milled mostly pine, but I did have a Blk. Cherry that was pretty nice, except it had a big "crook" in the middle. I just couldn't bring myself to firewood it, so I buzzed it in half and put both shorts on the mills deck, and made a cut,

Resized-20220805-115303-S.jpg

With that cut made, I turned both logs 180* and made another cut, and that allowed me to put the logs side by side,

Resized-20220805-120259-S.jpg

then I took the last two slabs off, leaving me a couple "cants" to take 5/4 boards off of,

Resized-20220805-120831-S.jpg

As you can see, I'm starting to get some lumber built up for future projects,

Resized-20220805-143547-S.jpg

The pile on the mills deck is the stickered cherry, with some dry white oak on top to keep the cherry flat.

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,813  
Some where around I have a picture of a 4.5’ fir that’s 120’ being pulled by a little 450 like that, they can move a pretty good amount of wood. The hardest thing on them is a winch or a grapple it’s a great way to take out a final bearing quickly, it’s one reason the track skidders had the finals up in the center of the frames.

I took this at the logging museum in Klamath Falls OR. It's a Cat 30 one of the first Cats used in logging. They used that big levered arch system and a winch to lift the log and keep the weight off the rear of the dozer.

It's mind boggling to me comparing that stuff with todays equipment.

Cat30LogArch.JPG

P1090448.JPG

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,814  
I took this at the logging museum in Klamath Falls OR. It's a Cat 30 one of the first Cats used in logging. They used that big levered arch system and a winch to lift the log and keep the weight off the rear of the dozer.

View attachment 757232

View attachment 757233

gg
Remember even then they weren’t taking the big stuff it wasn’t till the next generation that the big stuff was getting removed.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,815  
Remember even then they weren’t taking the big stuff it wasn’t till the next generation that the big stuff was getting removed.
When they removed the biggest trees on this end of the continent it was all done with human and animal power, then run down the river in springtime. Granted they were never the size of what you have, but we had pine big enough to be masts for tall ships.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,816  

gg
I had a CAT 40 for a time, also had a D-7, both were pretty good old horses.

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,817  
I would like to see that pic. Getting the butt off the ground might be a problem;)

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,818  
When we had our property logged about 4 years ago, the hardwood guys did it all by chainsaw and 1 skidder.

They had to go through a swamp to get to the back 40.

The owner of the mill seen what these guys were working through and said we were lucky to get them. Craziest loggers in southern Michigan. No one else would touch the swamp.

Softwood guys stayed far away from the swamp

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,819  
Got a few from the torpedo we had two years ago, if it did not snap them off at the ground it snapped them off about 10’ above the ground. Three days after, no one would take a log, so started cutting them up in 3’ sections and burning them. I did not want a fire and not be able to get into the woods. The place looked like pickup sticks with 140 ft trees.
Forestry said I could make 8’x8’x8’ piles, I made 3 piles and then pushed them in one after the other, daylight to dark. One pile, count. Now on pile 62.9FAE8B3D-542C-4743-8078-89D2A2946505.jpeg9B7E805B-F5A0-488A-8A23-DCE3B12E941A.jpeg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,820  
Got a few from the torpedo we had two years ago, if it did not snap them off at the ground it snapped them off about 10’ above the ground. Three days after, no one would take a log, so started cutting them up in 3’ sections and burning them. I did not want a fire and not be able to get into the woods. The place looked like pickup sticks with 140 ft trees.
Forestry said I could make 8’x8’x8’ piles, I made 3 piles and then pushed them in one after the other, daylight to dark. One pile, count. Now on pile 62.View attachment 757281View attachment 757282
I'd love a grapple, of course I would need a real tractor also....small details...lol