Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,831  
When I think of guys logging with dozers they usually had an arch which they pulled behind them, similar to what people have for their ATVs today. Years ago that's what they used to pick up veneer in the hills, then nobody would be there for anther 50 years.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,832  
A dozer is designed to be a leveling machine. Ideally, with the bade out front the dozer is pushing out a flat surface for the track to ride on. There are track rollers distributed under the center of the machine that are designed to take the weight. The rear sprocket provides the drive to turn the track chain and is a little higher than the track rollers. The track system is designed so that the chain under the sprocket is not in weight bearing contact with the ground relative to the rollers. When you put a winch on the back you add a lot of over hanging weight on the back of the dozer. Then when you pick up a log you add more weight. When you drag the log the front of the dozer wants to tip back. This can put the track section under the sprocket in hard contact with the ground. And if it is rough ground it adds a hammering action. The bearings in the final drive that turn the sprockets are not designed to take that kind of punishment for very long.

You can see the shaft ends of rollers (covered by the rock guards) which are along the weight bearing portion of the track. And the sprocket which is higher.

View attachment 757305
gg
Nice machine Gordon . . . (y)

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,833  
Ours had arches on them, does yours?
It does have and arch but a 4.5 foot butt is pretty much about the height of the roller in the arch. That doesn't include the choker length.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,834  
A dozer is designed to be a leveling machine. Ideally, with the bade out front the dozer is pushing out a flat surface for the track to ride on. There are track rollers distributed under the center of the machine that are designed to take the weight. The rear sprocket provides the drive to turn the track chain and is a little higher than the track rollers. The track system is designed so that the chain under the sprocket is not in weight bearing contact with the ground relative to the rollers. When you put a winch on the back you add a lot of over hanging weight on the back of the dozer. Then when you pick up a log you add more weight. When you drag the log the front of the dozer wants to tip back. This can put the track section under the sprocket in hard contact with the ground. And if it is rough ground it adds a hammering action. The bearings in the final drive that turn the sprockets are not designed to take that kind of punishment for very long.

You can see the shaft ends of rollers (covered by the rock guards) which are along the weight bearing portion of the track. And the sprocket which is higher.

View attachment 757305
gg
You're the best Mr. Gordon!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,835  
First load ready to haul to the mill

Attachments

• 1st load.JPG
    1st load.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 80
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,836  
First load ready to haul to the mill
Yeah!!!! 👍 They're hungry for it right now. Around here, pine is going for record prices.
It's supposed to cool off tomorrow. Are you going for another load?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,837  
Mill prices are definitely up and from what I hear they are crying for wood.
If I can get the time, I will go for another load and hopefully the weather will cool down a bit.
These hot temps sure take it out of me and a morning of work is about all I can take.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,838  
Mill prices are definitely up and from what I hear they are crying for wood.
If I can get the time, I will go for another load and hopefully the weather will cool down a bit.
These hot temps sure take it out of me and a morning of work is about all I can take.
The price of fuel is keeping a lot of people from cutting wood. Every mill that I know of is in short supply. Plus supply chain issues mean that what should be a simple repair can mean waiting weeks for parts.

I know just what you say about the heat. I was going to saw out a few more logs this AM but they can wait.
At least we only have it for a short time of the year, although I feel bad for anybody working on a paving or roofing crew last week.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,840  
The price of fuel is keeping a lot of people from cutting wood. Every mill that I know of is in short supply. Plus supply chain issues mean that what should be a simple repair can mean waiting weeks for parts.

I know just what you say about the heat. I was going to saw out a few more logs this AM but they can wait.
At least we only have it for a short time of the year, although I feel bad for anybody working on a paving or roofing crew last week.
I have no complaints about the heat, like you say it is a short season. Just have to work smart and hydrate.