Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,031  
I am just getting into the dozer world. Bought mine last year, haven't played with it much yet. I have to charge up the battery and get back on it. Have lots of clay to push around.

I don't have "rocks" as much as I have ROCK! My entire property seems to sit on ledge, and not shale, I mean full on need a jackhammer to plant a garden ledge. My house sits on all rock, then 1/4 mile away in the lower field it appears to be the same rock. You dig down 18"-30" through the clay, and hit pure rock, and everyplace I've dug in between is the same thing. We were trying to run all the utilities underground to try to limit power outages in winter, the cable guy came with a trencher with a rock saw blade on one end. I told him it was all rock, he assured me he could cut right through it. I should have bet him free install because he hit that rock and the blade came right up out of the ground as if it had no teeth on it.. The look on his face was priceless, he looked shocked, yet so defeated!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,034  
A couple years ago turned the splitting beam around the other way on my 22 ton Huskey splitter so that the the work station was closer to the trailer making it an easy lob into the trailer.

21_5_7-X.jpg

There were a couple consequences. One was the tongue weight went from about 50 lbs to 90 lbs. I put on a trailer jack to help compensate for that. The other was that I can't use the vertical mode as you can see.

P1020262.JPG

I'm near the end of the blocked up pile of firewood and have some big pieces I want to quarter in the vertical mode. So I turned the beam back around. Took about 15 minutes. Disconnected the two hydraulic fittings on the valve and let the hoses hang. Pulled the hinge pin and lifted the beam.

P1020263.JPG

Turned the trailer frame around by hand.

P1020264.JPG

Lowered the beam, put the hinge pin in the other set of ears, and reconnected the hoses.

P1020267.JPG

Went down and quartered a couple big blocks with the help of my carry-all.

P1020269.JPG

P1020270.JPG

I have eight left like these two.

P1020273.JPG

gg

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,036  
A little rainy day work in the woodshed today, splitting big rounds vertical. I had to apply a little Flexseal tape, to a rip on the canopy canvas, in order to keep the tractor seat dry. We are getting 1/2” of rain today.

I tore the canvas on a willow branch, as I was disking along the creek, earlier this week.
42D57521-3A73-4C07-BD9A-058A36B496DB.jpeg

3C186F78-61B7-4241-BF61-E4110A2976A5.jpeg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,037  
This red oak blew down having begun to rot in the butt.
It made a higgledy piggledy mess, knocking down a half dozen or so other trees including a 12 inch pine and 8 inch ash.
With the sprangly tops that these oaks have, it was well tensioned in a few places.
To safely buck it into manageable lengths and not pinch the saw, I used a few wedges to keep the kerf open while I sawed away.
The root swell was around 30" so that meant cutting from 2 sides with the 20" bar.
The route to and from the tree was steep and slick but the M handled it fine and had no trouble grappling and lifting the 12 foot butt log.
This will make a great addition to next winters firewood supply.

Attachments

• log grap.JPG
    log grap.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 67
  • log haul.JPG
    log haul.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 64
  • log butt cut.JPG
    log butt cut.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 66
  • log butt prep.JPG
    log butt prep.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 60
  • log butt.JPG
    log butt.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 60
  • log top cut2.JPG
    log top cut2.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 59
  • log top cut.JPG
    log top cut.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 57
  • log  down.JPG
    log down.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 65
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,038  
This red oak blew down having begun to rot in the butt.
It made a higgledy piggledy mess, knocking down a half dozen or so other trees including a 12 inch pine and 8 inch ash.
With the sprangly tops that these oaks have, it was well tensioned in a few places.
To safely buck it into manageable lengths and not pinch the saw, I used a few wedges to keep the kerf open while I sawed away.
The root swell was around 30" so that meant cutting from 2 sides with the 20" bar.
The route to and from the tree was steep and slick but the M handled it fine and had no trouble grappling and lifting the 12 foot butt log.
This will make a great addition to next winters firewood supply.
Nice pictures. I appreciate that I can look at them without waiting 5 minutes for them to load. I once thought that we were past that.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,039  
A buddy text me today and asked if I wanted to cut a load of firewood, I said sure, so we got everything ready and headed waaay out back, where I had some scrounged logs.

I brought the logs and even whole trees to the wagon, and he cut firewood lengths off them,

Resized-20230521-164151-S.jpg

Some of the logs were decent size,

Resized-20230521-162600-S.jpg

My wagon holds a lot of wood, but it didn't take too long to get a full load,

Resized-20230521-170703-S.jpg

And with that, I hooked up to the wagon and we headed home,

Resized-20230521-171810-S.jpg

We will get it split another day,

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,040  
Salvaged a nice downed live oak limb; should make a nice addition to the woodpile.

Attachments

• IMG_0210.jpeg
    IMG_0210.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 71