Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,551  
Now I have to wonder a bit about Mother Earth News (I used to read it a lot in the late '70s and into the '80s). Poplar is only slightly better than White Pine in terms of BTU content. One of my last choices for firewood. I'd burn it if I had no other choice, but fortunately have have a lot of better choices. (Yeah, I'll admit it... I'm a firewood snob.)
It was a hi-bred Poplar, and the idea was, you cut it down and a new tree came out of the roots, you never had to replant it. SO, it would be a constant supply of firewood.

I have some of them on my place.

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,552  
Yeah, poplar isn't my first choice for firewood either, but I can burn it outside and use it to fuel slash fires. Sure do have plenty of it right now :)

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,553  
Now I have to wonder a bit about Mother Earth News (I used to read it a lot in the late '70s and into the '80s). Poplar is only slightly better than White Pine in terms of BTU content. One of my last choices for firewood. I'd burn it if I had no other choice, but fortunately have have a lot of better choices. (Yeah, I'll admit it... I'm a firewood snob.)
I think it was about establishing a homestead quickly and independently.
I have their first issue and in that one it explained about owning a car that was half tractor as a very efficient way that coupled transportation with farming capability.
Poplar as firewood was part of this development as it could be established quickly and repetively.

As far as wood snobbery, I’ve burnt mostly red and white oak and have a bit of trepidation about burning the ash which constitutes the woodland surrounding the new digs.
Gosh, may have to order in oak stems from local foresters.
Never did that in my life previously.
Always procured them myself right around the acreage of the former home.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,554  
Just a matter of preference but I would cut ash off my own land to burn before I'd buy firewood. Luckily I don't have to worry about it. I have enough beech and rock maple to last... the ash which isn't a log goes into the pulp pile with the poplar, white birch and soft maple.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,555  
Just a matter of preference but I would cut ash off my own land to burn before I'd buy firewood. Luckily I don't have to worry about it. I have enough beech and rock maple to last... the ash which isn't a log goes into the pulp pile with the poplar, white birch and soft maple.
Built several furniture pieces with rock maple.
Around here it’s even called “ furniture maple”. It’s even a decent firewood.
Silver maple is like…well, you might as well burn paper.
Have burnt the stuff but l leave it unsplit or split it no smaller than 8”.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,556  
I think it was about establishing a homestead quickly and independently.
I have their first issue and in that one it explained about owning a car that was half tractor as a very efficient way that coupled transportation with farming capability.
Poplar as firewood was part of this development as it could be established quickly and repetively.

As far as wood snobbery, I’ve burnt mostly red and white oak and have a bit of trepidation about burning the ash which constitutes the woodland surrounding the new digs.
I used to burn ash if it was free. But I will burn almost anything that is free. Lots of dead ash in my area, but some is in spots that are hard to get to so I do not bother with it.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,557  
I don’t mind burning Ash. It makes up for its moderate BTU value being incredibly easy to split

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,558  
I am not a carpenter by any means but want to make something from a rock maple on my property which I had tapped for several years. There is just enough above the taps to get a grade 1 sawlog... if not for the tap holes it would be a great veneer log.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,559  
I am not a carpenter by any means but want to make something from a rock maple on my property which I had tapped for several years. There is just enough above the taps to get a grade 1 sawlog... if not for the tap holes it would be a great veneer log.
I've seen some great stuff made from "Tap Hole Maple". It adds a lot of character (and you'd be surprised at the premium some people will pay for something made from tap hole Maple as compared to other wood species).

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,560  
maybe you are confusing rock/sugar maple (acer saccharum) with red maple (acer rubrum) because ''decent" firewood doesnt do it justice. As firewood I would pick it over any other specie.