Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,311  
These pictures are from this afternoon, I don't think I put my felling notch in deep enough and the tree fell a little off from were I was aiming and hung up in a big maple. I ended up hooking my winch cable up to it and using a snatch block and got it down after 20 minutes of "creative winching". It ended up breaking a few limbs off the maple tree , but the maple was girdled years ago when the property was last logged but it is still alive.

A good rule of thumb is to make your notch deep enough so the length of the hinge is at least 80% of the tree's DBH (diameter at breast height). You'll also need to change your aiming point to compensate for side lean compensate for any side lean.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,312  
Here is my tractor and my wood :)

9C608E95-544F-4FE6-B9FA-801C38171A44_zpskd6z5xqu.jpg

C8C69E75-F784-4ED4-9460-9085A00CA669_zpsoidbz7do.jpg

3CD27EF6-E02E-4CB5-A0BE-7A11F78F5CED_zpsbrb4a7oj.jpg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,315  
Here is a little video I made on how to use a regular chain as a choker chain.

Nice video.

I have a cabin up in the mountains with some neighbors that need to watch this. I try and help them out and end up doing all the work. A good choker man is not that hard, but they pull it off well.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,316  
These pictures are from this afternoon, I don't think I put my felling notch in deep enough and the tree fell a little off from were I was aiming and hung up in a big maple. I ended up hooking my winch cable up to it and using a snatch block and got it down after 20 minutes of "creative winching". It ended up breaking a few limbs off the maple tree , but the maple was girdled years ago when the property was last logged but it is still alive.

That's a good looking loggin' tractor you have made there. How is the John Deere holding up?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,317  
A few oak tree limbs came down in a recent storm. I finally got around to picking them up, using my little workhorse Massey GC1710!!

TractorOakPond2.jpg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,318  
Nice video.

I have a cabin up in the mountains with some neighbors that need to watch this. I try and help them out and end up doing all the work. A good choker man is not that hard, but they pull it off well.

Thank you.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,320  
Well finally above freezing and not raining. So... here is my tractor and wood pic... yeah it's only the xmas tree going down to the burn pile. Hope this counts! :D

IMG_8948.jpg