Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #51  
An elderly neighbor had a whole bunch of trees cut down in his creek bed to make a small reservoir, didn't want the wood but needed it out. We heat with wood; win/win! We worked on it on & off for a couple of weeks but this is a typical day -

Leaving the barn to head up canyon:

Up the canyon road:

Across the creek:

Dragged 'em all out of here. Way steeper/deeper than it looks in the picture:

Good neighbors are GOLDEN:

Pretty green & yellow sawbuck:

Headed home with the chunks that don't fit in the truck:

Back to the woodpile:

Needs to season until next year but it's a whole lot 'o heat for a little sweat & a few gallons of diesel. Baby John pulled all those huge tree trunks out of the creek except one. It was hung up on a stump and we needed the Ford to help a little just that once.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #52  
20+ cord every year..........
Not a fan of poplar at all, especially the big ones. I do burn em, when one is in my way.... The bark is so thick, they don't start drying out until they are split. felling one and leaving it a year, it will be just as wet then as the day you dropped it.

I have a preponderance of beech and it is great burning wood. I rarely cut a maple, never an oak or cherry, unless they are spars. I tend to save the ash as for all intents it is "standing cord wood" cut it at 3 split it at 4 and burn it at 5. junk like yellow birch is great firewood, white birch not so much but the bark makes awesome fire starter (for an out door wood stove).

So, did you burn the bear too?

Dead Horse, your place is beautiful, I'd kill for that woodshed!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #53  
Well I planned on splitting some wood with my Bark Buster PTO log splitter today and posting some pics, but it's 2:00 am here and I got a toothache that won't wait. Throbbing! And I'm a person who has never had teeth trouble. Not taking a chance on getting hot and making it infected (if it isn't already). Looks like I'll be making an expensive trip to the dentist. When I'm able to split the logs I'll be sure and take some pics.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #54  
guidowood.jpg

Occasionally, I'll go after a deadfall.

wood13.jpg

But usually, I get an 8 cord load of tree length delivered

splittersig.jpg

Then I browbeat my daughter and grandkids into helping me split it.

split13.jpg

And my Brother-in-Law and I stack a year's supply undercover.

after.jpg

But I try to stay a year ahead so as to have plenty of seasoned wood.

stove2.jpg

And I'm enjoying it right now! :dance1: :thumbsup: :laughing:

That's an unusual machine in your top photo. What are those designed for?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #55  
View attachment 360391

And THIS is why you should always take the biggest tractor you have into the bush!

Sorry about poor quality, it was a scanned Polaroid.

Actually I have to kiss the oil mans azz cause this machine (JD 6200) drinks fuel like I simply can't explain! Maybe it's not broken in yet with only just over 1000 hours!

I love these photos with the grapples all loaded up. Sometimes I wonder why the tractor doesn't fall on its face with all that weight in front of it. Grapples look like great tools to have.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #56  
That's an unusual machine in your top photo. What are those designed for?

It's an Italian Pasquali tractor. 4wd, articulated, 20hp 1 cylinder diesel. Popular in vineyard applications, I believe. Quite common in Europe, not so much here in the States.

More Info

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #57  
it is a concrete trough but it is the right height with a 6x6 across it on one end and a 2x6 on the other so that i can run the chainsaw mill without being on the ground or rigging up something else to hold the log up.

Terryknight- I see you use a section of ladder for the guide track for your chainsaw mill. How do you set that up/secure it for your first cut?
I just bought an Alaskan mill and was thinking about using a ladder section but wasn't sure how I'd do it.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #58  
Good morning,

Attached is a picture from this weekends work.... My old college friend and I get together and help each other out with wood each year. In the background is my B2920 with the snow plow wings I just installed 2 weeks ago. What a difference! Attached is a carry-all I had manufactured from a local welder since this is something I have yet to learn in all of my free time.:thumbsup:

IMG_0975.jpg

We used to split wood in the summer for the follow season, however we discovered that we drank more beer than split wood! TOO DARN HOT! It was low teens and single digits this weekend which was perfect for cutting and splitting! :D

IMG_0974.jpg

BTW in looking at all of the posts I'm surprised I haven't noticed any 4 way splitters? We purchased our Wallenstein 8 years ago and its the only way to go! I hope I didn't open a can of worms here.....:rolleyes:

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #59  
Nice woodpile! Reminds me how much work I need to do as soon as the weather breaks and we get rid of all this snow and I can get in the woods.

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #60  
These are great guys, keep 'em coming!