Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #71  
Some great pictures here. This motivates me to get out there and start cutting for next winter.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #72  
Here are an photo of my wood stove. PICT0259.JPG

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #73  
What is this attachment?? Got any more pics? It looks like what I need (to copy):laughing:

It is a boom made for a forklift. I just bolted a 2 point drawbar on and welded a piece on for the top link. I bought it from a friend that decommissions factories. The drawbar can be removed and still used on a forklift. I'll try to get some better pics.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #74  
I live in town and my woodlot is 50 miles away. I cut and process about 7 to 8 full cords of firewood each year to heat my son's house and my house. My Case 450 crawler tractor lives at the woodlot, the B7800 plows snow in town in the winter and goes to the country in the summer to mow and do other chores and the RTV 500 stays at the woodlot where it is real handy. The last few years (since I retired) I have been bucking and splitting in late winter or early spring when it is still cool, so the Kubota is still in town on snow duty so is not available to help with that.

I ground skid tree length logs to a yard and push them into a compact pile for processing. If the snow is not too deep I collect smaller sticks with the RTV. My son helps with the processing. We use my Stihl 034 and his Stihl MS250 for bucking. We use home made tongs to lift any big sticks and a home made log jack to lift smaller sticks. We try to buck as many sticks as possible in the pile to avoid lifting. We split as we go - buck until it gets cluttered, then split and stack on pallets to cure. The RTV is handy for moving the splitter and hauling pallets. Once the wood is dried in late summer we haul it home. I use my 16 ft. equipment trailer and my 1/2 ton for my 2 to 3 cords, my son borrows a tandem truck from his workplace for his load. Once I get my wood home, I stack it in my basement wood room next to the furnace. Any excess wood (including odds and ends I pick up around town - cleaning up for neighbours, etc.) I stack on pallets and cover with tarps. I can then move the pallets with my homemade rear forks when the wood is needed.

Here are some pictures taken over several years. Hope I didn't bore anybody.

Firewood 2014-01-29- 002.jpgFirewood 2013-01-29- 002.jpgFireWood2009_04_18_ 017.jpgFireWood2009_09_05_ 002.jpgFirewood 2012-04-07- 004.jpgFireWood2009_09_05_ 018.jpgFirewood 2012-04-10-004.jpgFirewood 2012-09-04-.jpgWood08_3.jpg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #75  
My stuff for firewood

5-27-2012 (10).jpg

5-27-2012 (1).JPG

Attachments

• 5-27-2012 (5).jpg
    5-27-2012 (5).jpg
    663.3 KB · Views: 733
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #76  
Love the tractors. I have never seen a John Deere 2+2 type like that. I need to get a skidder for my 3 point.

My little Kubota BX2200 does all I need it to. Sometimes I wish it was bigger, but in the deep snow I really don't have to worry about getting stuck, especially with chains. Plows my driveway good except I would like a snowblower as the 4 ft bucket can take a while. I can back out or get a push if needed. I don't have any pictures, but now that the snow is too deep I have been moving wood with the bucket only. Works good for really heavy pieces or in the snow with a narrow plowed path. The trailer gets good payload when going across the farm. Luckily I have more than enough wood close to the house to make it thru the year. I have been doing a lot of splitting this winter even on cold days.

IMG_2502.jpgIMG_2503.jpgIMG_2506.jpg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #77  
I put industrial wire baskets on the front and rear pallet forks, chain them on with logging chains, fill them with cut firewood, lift, put tractor in 4WD, and go!

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #78  
DSCN9538.jpg

This is my stock pile.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #79  
Okay, now for pics of the smaller loads.....
Yanmar Tractor Hauling Wood.jpg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #80  
I will try this again. Not sure if anyone likes this idea, but I have tried lots of different ways over the years and this is the easiest to me. I take my tractor with a couple of those blue chep? skids. ( they are free and plentiful, as well as sturdy) I go to wherever the dead or doomed tree is. The cutting,splitting and stacking takes place right there in the bush or fencerow. So the mess stays there also. After a reasonable job of stacking the wood approx 4' high, I wrap the wood with shrink wrap. Because I have forks front and rear on my tractor I can bring back 2 completed skids of firewood. I then stack them neatly under a south facing awning (made special for just this purpose ) Once the wood has dried for about a year I bring it into the garage under my house. I have a totally seperate room for the wood furnace. I have installed a roller conveyor that slopes slightly toward the furnace. The first skid rolls al the way to the end of the conveyor , and the next three follow. I am then ready for winter, I cut the plastic off and as I use the wood the empty skids go back outside to be reused next year. This way I only bring in dry seasoned wood and only handle it twice, once when I originally cut stack and then when I unstack right into the firebox. I use this method even if I get wood from by bush property. I simply stack it on a skid on the back of the pick up,wrap and then unload with the tractor once I'm home. Hope someone likes this idea, its pretty simple.