Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #92  
It's an Italian Pasquali tractor. 4wd, articulated, 20hp 1 cylinder diesel. Popular in vineyard applications, I believe. Quite common in Europe, not so much here in the States.

More Info

Nice little tractor. And you are doing a good job restoring it. Are the parts hard to find?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #93  
IMG_1577.jpgIMG_1580.jpg

Use these wood holders with dollies to put dry wood in garage attached to the house. made from old slate pallet.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #94  
Nice little tractor. And you are doing a good job restoring it. Are the parts hard to find?

Well, I haven't had to come up with anything too involved yet, but I expect drive train parts and main castings and such would be roughly as common as hen's teeth. There is an online place that has quite a bit of support for them.

Lombardini diesels are still being produced and there is support out there for them. Whether that extends to the particular model in my tractor, I couldn't say.

And I fervently hope not to have to find out...

The engine seems to be in excellent shape. I've started it without starting aids in single digit weather on a number of occasions. In fact, it starts much better than my John Deere 750.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #95  
Great ideas in this thread....especially like the old Farmall setup!

Here's a few shots of my wood lot...I have a Wallenstein WP820, SurgeMaster Splitter, CountryMfging 2 ton wagon, Kubota L3010, BX25, and T-Rex trailer.

I highly recommend the Country Manufacturing 2 ton wagon....I added a cylinder to it and load it with split wood directly off the wood processor. It has no problem dumping a full load of wood.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #96  
We drag our truck-bed trailer (1 ton chassis) behind the tractor into our property or surrounding forest, staging it in an accessible area if we need to skid logs. After dropping the standing-dead tree or trees, we buck on site or skid (but as little as possible!), fill the bucket on the ground and load the parked trailer from the tractor until full. Sometimes we can park the trailer next to the downed tree and simply roll the rounds of mainly Doug Fir, Birch, Larch, and some Rocky Mountain Maple right up a HF motorcycle ramp into the bed. We then rehitch to the trailer and either fill the bucket with rounds, but usually rocks and boulders for my .5 and drive back to the shop area. We wheel the Craftsman 27T log splitter out and split right out of the trailer and into my truck for transport back to my home commando pictures 083.jpg, or we simply stack into the 10' "bays" of the lean-to off the shop if it is to stay at the cabin. commando pictures 099.jpgWood that stays at the cabin is seasoned a minimum of three years, two years if it goes to my place.
We split the wood for the cabin over several splitting parties, but it never touches the ground...we split right into the bucket and transport over to the cabin deck. We roll the hand-built wood racks to the stairs at the end of the deck and load them from the tractor bucket, then roll them into place on the deck for the winter. commando pictures 114.jpg Pictures of our racks being built can be found in my thread history.

Handling wood multiple times sucks, so we do as little of this as possible.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #97  
i like that save the back lol

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #98  
Fell the trees in the woods, and buck them to 90" length (divisible by 5 to give 18" blocks). Leave tops under 3-4" in the woods.
Use FEL forks to move the 90" logs to the splitting site.
Stack logs on slight slope above splitter and buck them as needed for the splitter. Use FEL bucket to lift large blocks to splitter height 3-4 at a time
When splitting, stack onto pallets of about 1/5 cord each. Stack the pallets two high for two years drying time. Drape a 4x4 piece of rubber roofing over each stack of split wood to shed snow and rain over the two year period.
Move the pallets as needed to the garage for easy access to the inside wood boiler. This winter using about 1 pallet every 4-5 days.
Easy one man operation.

Attachments

• 100_1655 (Medium).JPG
    100_1655 (Medium).JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 460
  • PalletWood1.JPG
    PalletWood1.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 639
  • Ash_forks_b (Large).jpg
    Ash_forks_b (Large).jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 511
  • Firewood_logs (Large).jpg
    Firewood_logs (Large).jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 375
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #99  
Added a protective screen to the front grill guard to keep sticks and such from puncturing the hyd. cooler and radiator.

Attachments

• New_grill.JPG
    New_grill.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 410
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #100  
My ideas:

1) I have tried mesh log bags, see photo, but found them to be too easily torn. They do last a bit longer if stacked on pallets and moved on the pallet rather than using the haul loops.

2) I got fed up bucking by hand and splitting last year so my neighbour (who is a wood merchant) brought his Posch S350 firewood processor over - what a difference in output rate! You can see an S350 working on this video Posch Spaltfix S-350 firewood processor - YouTube , sadly at $30-40,000 I will not be buying one any time soon...

Have fun,
Duncan

LogMeshBag.JPGS350_01.jpgS350_02.jpg