Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,641  
Started blocking up the firewood I cut late last fall. I cut my blocks 18" and cut the logs 24' if I can and still lift them. This isn't the fastest way to do it but it is easy on my body. Hope to finish this week doing a little at a time in mostly sunny 40 to 50 degree weather.

gg
How do you like your Frostbite Log grapple?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,642  
Those Frostbites are nice.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,643  
Started blocking up the firewood I cut late last fall. I cut my blocks 18" and cut the logs 24' if I can and still lift them. This isn't the fastest way to do it but it is easy on my body. Hope to finish this week doing a little at a time in mostly sunny 40 to 50 degree weather.

View attachment 693241

gg
That is how I do it. Although I do 12 to 14 foot lengths as that is what my trailer can take. And I have forks no grapple. I unload and hold logs waist high on the forks by the splitter. Nephew and I saw from each end to maintain balance on the forks. I drop the last centre 4 feet and he finishes as I get more logs.
Easy on the back.

Attachments

• IMG_0029.jpeg
    IMG_0029.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0031.jpeg
    IMG_0031.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 127
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,644  
A better term for the status of forum members is probably ‘customers’. Customers who enhance the value of the site for the owner. Yes, the owner sets the rules. However, when those rules become onerous or unfairly administered the customers may leave. As OldPath05 justifiably did, IMHO.

The owner of TBN does a pretty good job of walking the fine line of retaining valuable customers while having mostly reasonable rules to maintain decorum which enhances the customer experience.

However, he sometimes drops the ball, he’s not perfect. And when he drops the ball customers can complain, or leave, or both.

And, the owner can listen to his customers or he can throw them out or run them off.
It would seem to me that if you have a continual problem you would get rid of it rather than everyone else. Life is too short to worry about those who just complain and cause problems.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,645  
I do like the fact the aluminum in the newer Ford's won't rust, but I just don't feel aluminum is the right material in a pickup truck. Too weak and light where p/u trucks need weight when empty, in the rear in NY winters.
Aluminum may not rust, but it does corrode with exposure to salt. How do the aluminum body Fords stand up in that regard, or is it still too soon to tell?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,646  
Aluminum may not rust, but it does corrode with exposure to salt. How do the aluminum body Fords stand up in that regard, or is it still too soon to tell?
Exactly, look at what happens to small aircraft frames, they corrode and fail, that's why there's so many inspections.

There is no magic bullet, aluminum has it's own set of problems...

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,647  
How much do you put up in a year?
We burn about 4 cord in a older type box stove during an average winter . Our place isn't very big and it is pretty well insulated. Right now I still have a half cord left in this years half of the shed.

How do you like your Frostbite Log grapple?
For what I do I like it very much. It is rugged but only 360 lbs so it doesn't rob lift capacity. Has grease zerks every where. It is narrow so you can manipulate it into tight places w/o having a lot of extra iron in your way. If you want to handle trees, logs, tops, or big rocks it would be hard to beat and the price is competitive also.

gg

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,648  
I've seen so many weird things that trees did that they weren't supposed to do.
This tree in your pics says everything that it should fall downhill- crown heavy side.
The notch demonstrates that as well.
Imagine your surprise when the tree wants to go the other way.

How about a tree whose entire fall side was gone inside of it.
All of its water and nutrient path was on the opposite of the tree's expected fall line.
Now the relatively new guy had cut the notch and because of his inexperience, didn't notice the color change after the cambian layer of the chips nor the rotted out wedge he took out..
All this trees weight was on its good side...opposite the side it was "supposed" to fall.
They are supposed to do all those things - physics doesn't change just our understanding and awareness of it which is why these discussions are great- just to open and remind everyone about the possibilities to address before jumping in with the saw.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,649  
I wish I had been aware of the Frostbite grapple before I bought the MTL. It seems better suited to picking up individual logs when that function is needed. I can get it done with the MTL, but it is more of a challenge...or maybe reflects my lack of expertise.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,650  
I wish I had been aware of the Frostbite grapple before I bought the MTL. It seems better suited to picking up individual logs when that function is needed. I can get it done with the MTL, but it is more of a challenge...or maybe reflects my lack of expertise.
I was thinking the same thing.