Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,722  
I don't believe I have contributed to this thread but here goes. This certainly will not be up to the quality posted by others but it is something to look at.

I have an old Norwood LL24 Mill and the (temporary) wooden base that I mounted it on about 14 years ago finally rotted away. So I decided it was time to mount it on a less temporary base and while I had it disassembled I figured I would beef up the saw head, as it was always shaky when sawing. I also welded the bed angle rails together to form a smoother connection between them. I can't believe how much sturdier the bracing made the sawhead and the whole mill is just soooo much nicer to use. So here are some pics of the new setup. Plus some pics of the stump I had to dig out for the new mill setup and assorted other related pics. Also some pics of the new improved return detent I made for the 20 yr old log splitter. (big timeline improvement) and some visitors.
IMG_0033.JPG

IMG_0024.JPG

IMG_0041.JPG
IMG_0040.JPG

IMG_0037.JPG

IMG_0725.JPG

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,723  
Nice pictures, Hilbilly, thanks for posting! You have some great looking equipment there, is that a Husqvarna poking into that load?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,724  
Nice pictures, Hilbilly, thanks for posting! You have some great looking equipment there, is that a Husqvarna poking into that load?
There's actually 2 of them. The one in the Ranger is a 570 and the smaller one in the trailer is a 336. Both great saws but the 570 seems to be getting heavier as I age :) and I prefer to use the 336 for most work because it is much lighter. However the 570 is a much better saw for bucking or dropping the larger stuff. I also have an old 394xp with a 36" bar that I was given years ago. It barely ever gets used because of its weight and the bar being way too long for the stuff I work on.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,725  
A little off subject but I’m pretty sensitive to poison ivy. I got a case 6 weeks ago that is just now starting to go away. I know when and where I got into it cutting and splitting wood a couple of different times. I just took my chances.

My chainsaw got used to cut through some of the vines. My question is does anybody have good ideas on cleaning the saw? I thought about power washing it but that sounds like a bad idea. The problem is there are so many nooks and crannies filled with saw dust on a chainsaw.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,726  
A little off subject but I’m pretty sensitive to poison ivy. I got a case 6 weeks ago that is just now starting to go away. I know when and where I got into it cutting and splitting wood a couple of different times. I just took my chances.

My chainsaw got used to cut through some of the vines. My question is does anybody have good ideas on cleaning the saw? I thought about power washing it but that sounds like a bad idea. The problem is there are so many nooks and crannies filled with saw dust on a chainsaw.

After a day of falling I blow them out with compressed air other then that I don’t wash the saws.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,727  
I do that also on occasion. I don’t want to do that and spray poison ivy all over.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,728  
Hello Dodge Man
Try Tecnu, I use it on me, my gloves, socks, shirts, and equipment. Clean the saw well and put some Tecnu on a brush, leave it for a few minutes then wipe off (I use paper shop towels). This stuff neutralizes the poison ivy oil. At lest it works for me.
Tecnu Original Outdoor Skin Cleanser | Tec Labs
Joe

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,729  
I’ll try that. I’ve used Technu on myself but hadn’t thought about using on the saw.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,730  
Here is a new question for everyone. Does anyone market apple firewood? I am in the process of a several year project clearing a 4 acre old pasture on the farm which started growing up 50 years ago. I am chipping brush and cutting and selling ash and maple . But there are numerous wild apple trees which are very time consuming to process. I have made one cord of firewood for sale. I also make 5 cords from my woodlot for myself as well as 8 cords for sale to neighbours.all beech and sugar maple.
Here is the thing. Apple trees require at least three times the time and effort to process. Not worth it at the usual firewood price.
Does anyone sell apple at premium price and how do you do it? I heard it is valued for its fragrance and smoking properties.