Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,641  
I should have known since in my past log sales [white pine] I recall them saying only a handful of 8's was acceptable.
Oh well, when I get my future sawmill, I will have plenty of practice logs.
Hemlock keeps a lot better than pine or spruce, so you've got that going for you. ;)
Mills here don't like 10 foot either, if we could send all 16' logs they would be happy.
For a few days.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,642  
Hemlock keeps a lot better than pine or spruce, so you've got that going for you. ;)
Mills here don't like 10 foot either, if we could send all 16' logs they would be happy.
For a few days.

Man I wish I could send even 16’s for hemlock our shortest is 26’s plus a foot of trim preferred is 36-40’s.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,643  
No that’s second growth Doug fir, you guys would cry if you saw what we do with most hardwoods out here.
You might even make me cry Skeans . . .

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,644  
Man I wish I could send even 16’s for hemlock our shortest is 26’s plus a foot of trim preferred is 36-40’s.
If I had 150 foot tall trees I wouldn't want to mess around with short logs, either.

Oh wait, those are the trees which you are cutting because they're inferior growing stock. :D

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,645  
If I had 150 foot tall trees I wouldn't want to mess around with short logs, either.

Oh wait, those are the trees which you are cutting because they're inferior growing stock. :D

Heck they all get cut into 8’ lengths anyways so what would 16’s hurt.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,646  
You might even make me cry Skeans . . .

Nothing like using the stuff as trail trash like ash, maple, and if I really have to cherry.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,647  
Nothing like using the stuff as trail trash like ash, maple, and if I really have to cherry.
But cherry is good for the smoker...

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,648  
Mr. Skeans, does your Ash have the borer infestation in the PNW?

In northern PA, you can drive by mountains covered in trees, and all the Ash are standing dead.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,649  
Softwood for dimension lumber used to be anything over 8' in 2' foot increments plus trim to match the common retail 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 market. Now with all the super mechanized and specialized mills all they want here is 12's and 16's. Because of the mill high efficiency when they only have to handle 2 different lengths it is cheaper to trash 2' pieces to get 10's and 14's for the retail market.

That's a bummer FruitCakes. I haven't found a place for 8's in a long long time here. 8's and 10's fit on my truck so nice. Now it's 12's only because 16's are just to much. Last year they shut down 14's which I didn't mind if it was just a few. But 12's are bad enough.

2019_17.JPG

gg

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,650  
@[mention]hunt4570 [/mention]
This stuff is junk trust me it stinks when it’s burnt if I was going to smoke with something I’d rather use Red Alder it leaves a really nice flavor.

@[mention]BackRoad [/mention]
If it does it wouldn’t matter the closest mill that accepts black ash is about 1.5hr away with almost no pay for it, here’s another weird one for you most of the mills won’t take oak.