Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,751  
I've seen hemlock board and batten on barns here.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,753  
Our first house, post and beam framing and built in the 1870's, was all eastern hemlock. Tough wood but you could hardly drive a nail in w/o splitting it.

Edit: It was interesting how it was put together, Post and beam frame with corner braces and pegs. It had studded walls. The 8X8 sill and 4X8 top plate had 2X2 mortises cut into them and the 2X4 studs had 2X2 tenions on the ends of them. The studs just plugged into the mortises in the sill and plate. Some studs had one nail and some had no nails at all.

gg

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,754  
Yours is a different subspecies of the same tree. I believe they are afflicted with the western "Taller trees than in the east" syndrome. :D Here they are used for landscape ties and timber mats. We also use it for bridge decking. It tends to grow crooked, finding a straight 20' log in my part of the region is a challenge.
And down here in the south east, I just dont think there are any.

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,755  
Around me, along the Mid West Lower Peninsula Lake Michigan shoreline we are infested with the Hemlock Wooly Adelgid. We have personally treated the 127 Hemlock trees on our 1 acre property but there are so many others around us that will never get treated and will die within 10 years. All of the hemlock here is tall and straight. Some are over 100 years old. I have used the lumber for barn doors, cabinet door stile and rails, drawer fronts as well as dovetail drawer boxes.

Wood Rack Doors.png

Cabinets in the woodshop.png

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,756  
Around me, along the Mid West Lower Peninsula Lake Michigan shoreline we are infested with the Hemlock Wooly Adelgid. We have personally treated the 127 Hemlock trees on our 1 acre property but there are so many others around us that will never get treated and will die within 10 years. All of the hemlock here is tall and straight. Some are over 100 years old. I have used the lumber for barn doors, cabinet door stile and rails, drawer fronts as well as dovetail drawer boxes.

View attachment 716816

View attachment 716817
Do you have a saw mill??

I like that wood storage!!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,757  

View attachment 716816

View attachment 716817
Nice job! I envy talented people.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,758  
Do you have a saw mill??

I like that wood storage!!
I hire a portable mill to come on site or I bring wood to the mill. I bought a new trailer to haul logs to the mill and haul lumber and materials home. Here is loading logs near my house preparing to go to the mill.

Logs on the Move.png

The log with my hand on it weighed in at 2,986lbs.

That wood storage is for my hobby projects and drying the odds and ends that are not made into the new house material at the mill: Flooring (Red Oak); tongue and groove ceiling (White Pine); accent wall shiplap (Hemlock); door, window and baseboard trim (Poplar); Floating steps (White Oak); cabinet door stile and rails, drawer box material wood (Maple). I have some cookies from stumps there drying and lots of driftwood from Lake Michigan. After the house is built the wood shop will be busy with creative projects. Right now all focus is prepping for the house build.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,759  
I hire a portable mill to come on site or I bring wood to the mill. I bought a new trailer to haul logs to the mill and haul lumber and materials home. Here is loading logs near my house preparing to go to the mill.

View attachment 716870

The log with my hand on it weighed in at 2,986lbs.

That wood storage is for my hobby projects and drying the odds and ends that are not made into the new house material at the mill: Flooring (Red Oak); tongue and groove ceiling (White Pine); accent wall shiplap (Hemlock); door, window and baseboard trim (Poplar); Floating steps (White Oak); cabinet door stile and rails, drawer box material wood (Maple). I have some cookies from stumps there drying and lots of driftwood from Lake Michigan. After the house is built the wood shop will be busy with creative projects. Right now all focus is prepping for the house build.
NICE looking logs!! What do you use to get them from the woods to the trailer? Those are a little bigger than I like to do, not sure my tractor could pick them up or that I could turn them over while on my mill.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,760  
I worked with the neighbor a couple of weeks ago to help him split his wood. It was a little warm at that time. It took 2 secessions to complete.

Attachments

• 20210919_142929.jpg
    20210919_142929.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 68
  • 20210919_143013.jpg
    20210919_143013.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 69